• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is true that i have no businessmen acumen bcos i am thinking in the perspective of a consumer. A minimal entry fee will lead to closure of many businesses in JB? This is an absurb and exaggerated statement. JB and singapore are interdepence on each other. Nobody can boycott anyone. Even with the impose and increase of entry fee on both sides, things will still be normal. Smaller number of shoppers coming in to JB from singapore wont harm JB much. They will return soon later because the prices goods in singapore is damn high. As for people migrating to oversea, this trend will happen with or without the entry fee imposed. There are not correlation at all. When some can afford, they may seek greener pasture at other country bcos the moon on the other side is always rounder. This is another different issues.

Definitely significant impact on JB businesses if above $30 RM VEP. But I support ard $30 RM. Above $50 RM, JB will be off my shopping list. Malaysians driving S plate might get discount. 1st n 2nd links' VEP might be different.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will return soon later because the prices goods in singapore is damn high.
Just to remind you that in actual fact, the quality of the perishables and other consumer goods are better in Singapore than in JB, despite being more expensive. Even those retailers always tell me: the better quality ones are exported to Singapore. Yes, Singapore prices may be higher, but of better quality. I have done my own survey, if you want to get similarly good quality in JB, you'll have to pay almost 90% of the price (at times even more if it's an imported product) similar in Singapore. 1 example is the rice being sold in JB. Those imported HOM MALI rice is more expensive than in Singapore, even after considering the exchange rate advantage. If the costs and hassle of getting into JB is going to be exorbitant, then I think many Singaporeans may eventually prefer to eat lesser and buy locally instead.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is true that i have no businessmen acumen bcos i am thinking in the perspective of a consumer. A minimal entry fee will lead to closure of many businesses in JB? This is an absurb and exaggerated statement. JB and singapore are interdepence on each other. Nobody can boycott anyone. Even with the impose and increase of entry fee on both sides, things will still be normal. Smaller number of shoppers coming in to JB from singapore wont harm JB much. They will return soon later because the prices goods in singapore is damn high. As for people migrating to oversea, this trend will happen with or without the entry fee imposed. There are not correlation at all. When some can afford, they may seek greener pasture at other country bcos the moon on the other side is always rounder. This is another different issues.

50RM or 100RM is not "minimal" !

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely significant impact on JB businesses if above $30 RM VEP. But I support ard $30 RM. Above $50 RM, JB will be off my shopping list. Malaysians driving S plate might get discount. 1st n 2nd links' VEP might be different.

you "support" 30RM VEP? sure bo? do you mean "If implemented, you hope it will be no more than 30RM"?

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not both sides just implement priority lanes and charge a premium on it. if time is valuable to some people,
they may find it worthwhile to pay the extra. The rest with no pressing need can just wait for their turn in the normal queues.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
you "support" 30RM VEP? sure bo? do you mean "If implemented, you hope it will be no more than 30RM"?

I mean I want around $30 RM VEP for smoother crossing of the 1st and 2nd links, as I think above $10 SGD is a psychological barrier at least for the first year. Above $50 RM VEP (or about $25 SGD) then I will be deterred from petrol pumping, car washing, shopping etc in JB, and I will only be entering for more serious shopping.

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not both sides just implement priority lanes and charge a premium on it. if time is valuable to some people,
they may find it worthwhile to pay the extra. The rest with no pressing need can just wait for their turn in the normal queues.

I am sorry I can't agree. This will favor the rich. Already seeing some airports giving such priority clearance (Australia, e.g.) for business class and first class travellers. Think a business class ticket holder should only enjoy privelges in the plane. Such class devide policies are unhealthy IMHO.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it can be implemented in a 2 tiered system.
Weekday and weekend rates since it is normally weekends is jam packed in jB with shoppers.
That way, it is easier for working class on daily commute. Afterall RM100 translate to S$40 which can be easily absorbed as "tourist" expenses. Max also you come in 4x per month.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mean I want around $30 RM VEP for smoother crossing of the 1st and 2nd links, as I think above $10 SGD is a psychological barrier at least for the first year. Above $50 RM VEP (or about $25 SGD) then I will be deterred from petrol pumping, car washing, shopping etc in JB, and I will only be entering for more serious shopping.

ok, so you do want a VEP of around 30RM. well, looks like you 're getting your wish! :smile:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sheng Shiong is a very profitable Supermarket in town. Their businesses are good because they sell things cheaper than their competitors such as NTUC.

They attract all sorts of shoppers.

Now imagine they start charging S$50 per entry just to go inside Sheng Shiong be it to shit, look around or massive shopping spree, do you think you will still go in?

For bulk purchasers, there is just a slight MAYBE. For 90% of the shoppers they will flock to NTUC.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sorry I can't agree. This will favor the rich. Already seeing some airports giving such priority clearance (Australia, e.g.) for business class and first class travellers. Think a business class ticket holder should only enjoy privelges in the plane. Such class devide policies are unhealthy IMHO.

Cos my reasoning is, those travellers whom are more price sensitive, maybe becos their purpose for making the trip in is to just pump petrol or buy some stuff to save costs, then they probably won't choose the priority lane.
But there will be those on business agenda or errands or an important meeting, be it business or personal, whom find it justifiable to pay the extra cost for faster clearance.

it is not about rich or poor cos the rates are affordable, just that different groups got the freedom to choose based on their justification.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cos my reasoning is, those travellers whom are more price sensitive, maybe becos their purpose for making the trip in is to just pump petrol or buy some stuff to save costs, then they probably won't choose the priority lane.
But there will be those on business agenda or errands or an important meeting, be it business or personal, whom find it justifiable to pay the extra cost for faster clearance.

it is not about rich or poor cos the rates are affordable, just that different groups got the freedom to choose based on their justification.

i agree and support this idea, in fact i mooted similar idea a few nonth ago (partly tongue in cheek.)

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gov need to give some excuses to implement certain policy. If improvement of JB road and amenities really happen, i will say that is a bonus. If singaporean people come to jb to shopping can be reduce by 20%, that can also lead to a positive outcome. Although business may be affected but for people in JB, we may find price reduction on goods is possible when the demand dropped. That is good news.

From my years in retail, I can confidently tell you that fewer customers does not equal to lower prices. Only higher prices. Because the retailers still need to cover their fixed cost eg rental & salaries, but with fewer customers than before. So what to do to cover? All gang up to up prices lah, using GST as the reason.

That's the reason why mixed rice can be priced at S$3 in SG hawker centres but RM 6-7 in JB. Ever wonder why JB coffee houses are charging more ex than Mont Kiara coffee, eg Rm11-12 compared to RM 7-8? Same reason lah, less traffic flow in JB, so it's diff to cover the fixed costs.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh, whats the big deal about this VEP to JB? If they really intro RM 100 per trip, then I will take a bus to Bukit Indah for my regular massage and shopping. So cheap and convenient and no need worry about car kena smashed.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think i tend to agree with Dfiris. Many rich people in singapore will be laughing to their death if see us arguing in this forum about RM50 entry fees.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh, whats the big deal about this VEP to JB? If they really intro RM 100 per trip, then I will take a bus to Bukit Indah for my regular massage and shopping. So cheap and convenient and no need worry about car kena smashed.

Exactly.... furthermore when future MRT is up, charge RM200 also no issue liao.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree and support this idea, in fact i mooted similar idea a few nonth ago (partly tongue in cheek.)

happy to hear that. Cos there will be days when I am in no hurry and be in normal queues, and there will be times when I am in dead pressing need to get back for a meeting or pick my child from school etc.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my years in retail, I can confidently tell you that fewer customers does not equal to lower prices. Only higher prices. Because the retailers still need to cover their fixed cost eg rental & salaries, but with fewer customers than before. So what to do to cover? All gang up to up prices lah, using GST as the reason.

That's the reason why mixed rice can be priced at S$3 in SG hawker centres but RM 6-7 in JB. Ever wonder why JB coffee houses are charging more ex than Mont Kiara coffee, eg Rm11-12 compared to RM 7-8? Same reason lah, less traffic flow in JB, so it's diff to cover the fixed costs.

Is basic demand and supply theory. When lesser customer come....they panic, make more offer and sales. I am looking forward to this type of scene now. Thanks to the entry fee imposed. We consumer love to see more crazy sales.