• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

juanra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you referring got the seven rounds of singapore cooling measures?

Or to the ongoing changes impacting PR in Singapore?

I have never seen rules that change so drastically to and fro in any country.
No wonder our founding father mention "With a stroke of a pen they can take it over"
His words are very wise.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it? I see my Msian neighbours all look quite rich, spending much on reno and have few cars.

Your Malaysian neighbours are the discerning few. So is the neighbourhood you are staying in.
Look quite rich is very subjective. Having few cars and with nice renovations being perceived as rich is even more confusing.

My take is:
Rich people do not need renovations. Their house is built without any need for renovations.
Rich people do not need many cars. They need only one nice expensive car for occassions and the rest are small ones for easy shopping and parking in shopping complexes. At most is a simple MPV for family travel.
Rich people do not like to be seen rich as they are target for robberies and kidnappings. They are low key and never show off their wealth.

The locals in Johore Baru are not really at your level of wealth as your rich neighbours. They are poor people, trying to eke a living like common people including myself. :smile:

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your Malaysian neighbours are the discerning few. So is the neighbourhood you are staying in.
Look quite rich is very subjective. Having few cars and with nice renovations being perceived as rich is even more confusing.

My take is:
Rich people do not need renovations. Their house is built without any need for renovations.
Rich people do not need many cars. They need only one nice expensive car for occassions and the rest are small ones for easy shopping and parking in shopping complexes. At most is a simple MPV for family travel.
Rich people do not like to be seen rich as they are target for robberies and kidnappings. They are low key and never show off their wealth.

The locals in Johore Baru are not really at your level of wealth as your rich neighbours. They are poor people, trying to eke a living like common people including myself. :smile:

Rich is relative. I go to Chiang Mai, Bali and the locals call me rich. Some friends called me rich after hearing a bought 1 property in JB even from a person who bought 2 in Singapore. I told them if I am rich I will buy the property in Singapore, why risk our safe heaven vs a foreign land.

I believe most in this forum are like that middle to lower income trying to have a better lifestyle.

We may be rich in the eyes of others and others may seem to be better off than us. A family staying in a kampong with a plot of land may seem rich to many Singaporeans as it is near impossible to own land for the average Joe here.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore to independently assess impact of Johor reclamation projects
By Monica Kotwani
POSTED: 09 Jul 2014 17:45
UPDATED: 09 Jul 2014 22:48

Malaysia has also provided some general information on the Johor reclamation projects, said Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Masagos Zulkifli. He says Singapore will take necessary steps to avoid adverse transboundary impact.

SINGAPORE: Malaysia has provided Singapore with some general information on the two reclamation projects along the Straits of Johor, said Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Masagos Zulkifli in Parliament on Wednesday (July 9), and the Government will assess the information and conduct its own studies to see how the projects will impact Singapore.

Singapore had raised concerns on the potential transboundary impact, with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan highlighting the issue with their Malaysian counterparts.

The concerns come amidst reports that no environmental impact assessments were conducted. Mr Masagos said Singapore was not given prior information on these reclamation projects, and he highlighted some concerns.

The projects could increase the strength of the currents in the Straits of Johor, potentially affecting navigation safety. It could also result in the erosion of the seabed and foreshore defences that support the infrastructure of the Second Link between Singapore and Malaysia. It may also affect the water quality along the Straits, impacting the coastal and marine environment as well as the fish farms in the area.

Mr Masagos said Malaysia provided some preliminary information on the two projects on June 30. It also promised to share all other information, including environmental impact assessments, once internal processes are completed.

"Malaysia has stated that no reclamation works are currently being undertaken on these projects and that it remains committed at fulfilling its obligations under international law and will take all necessary matters to avoid any adverse transboundary impact," he said, adding that Singapore is seeking clarification on some of the information provided and waiting for more to come through.

Dr Lim Wee Kiak, MP for Nee Soon GRC, asked if there would be changes in the boundary lines of the two countries after reclamation is completed, and what the course of action would be if Malaysia decided to go ahead with the projects even if they had a potential environmental impact.

Mr Masagos said it was premature to talk about any development at this stage. He said consultation and information exchange must be allowed to go forward before hypothesising, and that the boundary lines between the two countries do not change with any reclamation by either of the countries.

- CNA/xy

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-to/1249084.html

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

My take is:

You are too modest, these Msian neighbours mostly work in SG; how can be not able to afford international buffet while Sporean can? But it beats me too why people buy 500k house and spend 300k to extend a little bit their master bedroom, balcony, kitchen etc. Why don't just buy bigger 800k house in the first place? The conclusion I have is they must be cash rich since renovation is all cash with no reno loan available in Msia.

About the cars, the way I see it is one car for each working adult and usually Japanese car if they can afford. Yes one MPV per family for outings.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are too modest, these Msian neighbours mostly work in SG; how can be not able to afford international buffet while Sporean can? But it beats me too why people buy 500k house and spend 300k to extend a little bit their master bedroom, balcony, kitchen etc. Why don't just buy bigger 800k house in the first place? The conclusion I have is they must be cash rich since renovation is all cash with no reno loan available in Msia.

About the cars, the way I see it is one car for each working adult and usually Japanese car if they can afford. Yes one MPV per family for outings.

Conclusion is you cannot impose your version of standard onto another person. We all have different values and interpretations. When a person is rich, does it mean that he has all the money that make others envy or does it mean that he is happy that he has enough money? Or the meaning of richness is just only about money and money alone?

Not all people can afford 800k house la...who wants to be bald when he has hair? Malaysians ma...the poor cousins who live on the other side.

Photogguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Conclusion is you cannot impose your version of standard onto another person. We all have different values and interpretations. When a person is rich, does it mean that he has all the money that make others envy or does it mean that he is happy that he has enough money? Or the meaning of richness is just only about money and money alone?

Not all people can afford 800k house la...who wants to be bald when he has hair? Malaysians ma...the poor cousins who live on the other side.

You are indeed funnie, first you generalize that Malaysian cannot afford to eat International Buffet, but now coming out with the a convoluted rambling about perception and happiness....when people pointed out that many can afford more than one cars and extensive renovation ....

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

a rich man is someone who has made enough as to be humbled by life's providence. :smile:

Last edited:

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore to independently assess impact of Johor reclamation projects
By Monica Kotwani
POSTED: 09 Jul 2014 17:45
UPDATED: 09 Jul 2014 22:48

Malaysia has also provided some general information on the Johor reclamation projects, said Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Masagos Zulkifli. He says Singapore will take necessary steps to avoid adverse transboundary impact.

SINGAPORE: Malaysia has provided Singapore with some general information on the two reclamation projects along the Straits of Johor, said Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Masagos Zulkifli in Parliament on Wednesday (July 9), and the Government will assess the information and conduct its own studies to see how the projects will impact Singapore.

Singapore had raised concerns on the potential transboundary impact, with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan highlighting the issue with their Malaysian counterparts.

The concerns come amidst reports that no environmental impact assessments were conducted. Mr Masagos said Singapore was not given prior information on these reclamation projects, and he highlighted some concerns.

The projects could increase the strength of the currents in the Straits of Johor, potentially affecting navigation safety. It could also result in the erosion of the seabed and foreshore defences that support the infrastructure of the Second Link between Singapore and Malaysia. It may also affect the water quality along the Straits, impacting the coastal and marine environment as well as the fish farms in the area.

Mr Masagos said Malaysia provided some preliminary information on the two projects on June 30. It also promised to share all other information, including environmental impact assessments, once internal processes are completed.

"Malaysia has stated that no reclamation works are currently being undertaken on these projects and that it remains committed at fulfilling its obligations under international law and will take all necessary matters to avoid any adverse transboundary impact," he said, adding that Singapore is seeking clarification on some of the information provided and waiting for more to come through.

Dr Lim Wee Kiak, MP for Nee Soon GRC, asked if there would be changes in the boundary lines of the two countries after reclamation is completed, and what the course of action would be if Malaysia decided to go ahead with the projects even if they had a potential environmental impact.

Mr Masagos said it was premature to talk about any development at this stage. He said consultation and information exchange must be allowed to go forward before hypothesising, and that the boundary lines between the two countries do not change with any reclamation by either of the countries.

- CNA/xy

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-to/1249084.html

No use.... Johor Government wont give a damn at singapore independent report. There is no stopping of JB city to progress as a modern city now. Bravo R & F.... Johorean support you.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh I no need to impose anything; I am quite happy with them doing extensive renovations. Their taste not that bad and the houses with the glass balcony etc sure look more expensive than before. My stand has always been other people houses value go up means my house value should go up too.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are indeed funnie, first you generalize that Malaysian cannot afford to eat International Buffet, but now coming out with the a convoluted rambling about perception and happiness....when people pointed out that many can afford more than one cars and extensive renovation ....

If you care to scroll up, international buffet is an analogy to international zones of the real estate in JB. It has nothing to do with food. Does having many cars make one rich? I have 3 Protons and still paying hire purchase. Am I rich? Nope. I am a slave to the bank. I am in the negative equity territory.

Convoluted...wow..I have to wiki to find the meaning...no wonder Malaysians are still the inferior cousins..my engleesh is not good. :smile:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh I no need to impose anything; I am quite happy with them doing extensive renovations. Their taste not that bad and the houses with the glass balcony etc sure look more expensive than before. My stand has always been other people houses value go up means my house value should go up too.

And you should be congratulated for having a house already.
There are many who still procastinate about it and before they can realise, newly launched prices are already beyond their means.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a few years down the road, jb condos will be out of reach for ordinary singaporeans if they still procrastinate further.
very soon they will be the same as hdb prices in singapore.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok back to the topic of new developments....any news of any plans for a cruise terminal, a gardens by the straits, , IR etc? ....just wishful thinking....

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok back to the topic of new developments....any news of any plans for a cruise terminal, a gardens by the straits, , IR etc? ....just wishful thinking....

I remembered seeing a Cruise terminal plan in Puteri Harbour, just beside the ferry terminal.

Photogguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you care to scroll up, international buffet is an analogy to international zones of the real estate in JB. It has nothing to do with food. Does having many cars make one rich? I have 3 Protons and still paying hire purchase. Am I rich? Nope. I am a slave to the bank. I am in the negative equity territory.

Convoluted...wow..I have to wiki to find the meaning...no wonder Malaysians are still the inferior cousins..my engleesh is not good. :smile:

If you have 3 cars n paying hire purchase? Why would anyone want to have 3 cars on hire purchase if they are not well off? Ya you are perhaps superior.... But only in your mind, haha, must be damn free posting all over the place running down your neighbors across the causeway, if you are really rich, why would you bother to waste your time here, perhaps you are envious that Masian earning less than you can afford 3cars n landed, while you are cooped in your pigeon hole.
Btw, Malaysian have no prob buying even $2m properties, some are pilots flying your national pride or other high paying jobs......they may also own a piece of the pies in your property market also....not just the international spread in their own country.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convoluted

Last edited:

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have 3 cars n paying hire purchase? Why would anyone want to have 3 cars on hire purchase if they are not well off? Ya you are perhaps superior.... But only in your mind, haha, must be damn free posting all over the place running down your neighbors across the causeway, if you are really rich, why would you bother to waste your time here, perhaps you are envious that Masian earning less than you can afford 3cars n landed, while you are cooped in your pigeon hole.
Btw, Malaysian have no prob buying even $2m properties, some are pilots flying your national pride or other high paying jobs......they may also own a piece of the pies in your property market also....not just the international spread in their own country.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convoluted

Funniman is also a Malaysian la!