• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor lorry drivers say may stage toll protest
By Faris Mokhtar
POSTED: 02 Aug 2014 19:16

Lorry drivers in Johor Bahru said they may stage a protest at the state's immigration checkpoint next week against the increased toll fares.

SINGAPORE: Lorry drivers in Johor Bahru on Saturday (August 2) said they may stage a protest at the state's immigration checkpoint next week. The toll protest by Malaysian bus drivers saw a massive jam at the Johor checkpoint on Friday morning.

A leader of the Johor Lorry Operators Association told Channel NewsAsia that the increased toll fares, which kicked in on Friday, will affect their operating costs. Most of its members travel to Singapore on a daily basis, delivering goods such as food products and construction materials. Lorry owners also said they might have to raise the prices of their goods to offset the cost brought on by the increased toll fares.

Andrew Chia, vice-president of Johor Lorry Operators Association, said: "Our members are around 200 people, and then almost 80 per cent travel to Singapore. We will deliver things to Singapore. We are waiting for an answer from the government - if they still maintain the toll hike, if they don't want to reduce (the toll), maybe, maybe we'll do it (the protest).”

- CNA/nd

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/johor-lorry-drivers-say/1293996.html

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jams into Sg is mostly because of our immigration officers who are taking a very long time to clear Malaysian passports/cars. If security is their utmost concern, then they should have separate lanes for foreign cars and SG cars like Changi airport when we return.

Quite true. I try my best to steer clear of MY plate cars and not que behind them at Singapore checkpoint. They almost always take a longer time to process.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quite true. I try my best to steer clear of MY plate cars and not que behind them at Singapore checkpoint. They almost always take a longer time to process.

Some clown will only start filling up white card at the passport counter . BTW why cant go away those white card , you mean with modern day technology , nothing can beat the the PAP white card system ? :biggrin:

Hurricane88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some clown will only start filling up white card at the passport counter . BTW why cant go away those white card , you mean with modern day technology , nothing can beat the the PAP white card system ? :biggrin:

PAP means pay and pay...who pay...sure citizens pay la...:p

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP means pay and pay...who pay...sure citizens pay la...:p

Sorry hor , this PAP white card system is free one , that explain why nothing change for last 40yrs, super inefficient . If one white card cost RM10, I think they will make it able to submit online with wats apps , dont need to fill up at custom, become super efficient because need to pay !:biggrin:

Last edited:

Hurricane88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry hor , this PAP white card system is free one , that explain why nothing change for last 40yrs, super inefficient . If one white card cost RM10, I think they will make it able to submit online with wats apps , dont need to fill up at custom, become super efficient because need to pay !:biggrin:

citizens pay for the cost of printing white cards...:smile:

many countries had already do away with filling cards...:smile:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think a lot of Singapore and Chinese buyers thought that they could flip over when the times come. But with the ever changing new policies, there won't be any secondary market to flip over in years to come! And some developers say people are keen to buy despite the higher toll charges - keen does not equal a close deal!

Developers sure say there is alot of foreign interest. The truth will prevail.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once lorry joins in, it will hit the economy of both Johor and Singapore.

Be careful what you wish for :wink:

I don't think anybody wished for 400 or 500 percent increase in bus tolls etc. But I still think it is right we should wish for justice to prevail. Foreigners should not be allowed to continue to take advantage to drive Msia cars to work without paying VEP that commensurate with current COE; just so that Singaporeans can have lower tolls.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still many cars when I drove into JB just now. Damn the improvement is like only 10-20% when the amount of cars since 2010 using the customs have increased by 500-800%

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still many cars when I drove into JB just now. Damn the improvement is like only 10-20% when the amount of cars since 2010 using the customs have increased by 500-800%

Weekday = most are coming into SG for work
Weekend = most are going into JB for leisure

The drop is more significant for weekend as shoppers/weekenders have choices but workers do not. It is quite a heavy tax on drivers so I expect more workers to rent in SG or switch to motorbikes as a result.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal

Reading the news, it looks like either side is not going to compromise and vary the toll hikes and the VEP......Wonder if
it is a precursor to the future MRT to JB - possible ? The ruling politicians kept quiet because they think they are doing good for Johor residents, with some thinking and believing that Singaporeans caused the rise in prices of goods, services and houses.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weekday = most are coming into SG for work
Weekend = most are going into JB for leisure

Hopefully the drop on the number of weekenders will see a drop in prices of goods and services. For those who frequent coffee-shops, it is noticeable that a cup of coffee has gone up to RM1.50 when it was RM1.30 a few months ago. And fish-ball mee used to be RM3.50 is now RM4.50 or RM5....If the locals want to blame, they might put it on Singaporeans. Actually the culprits are the operators wanting to earn more because they try to match their prices with the exchange rates. But some coffee-shops further away from the city are still selling their coffee at the old prices.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malaysians should do away with the recent causeway toll increase and maintain its status quo. In this way, there is no reason for LTA to also impose an equivalent increase. What Malaysia should do instead is to implement a VEP for foreign cars, mainly targeting Singapore cars of course. A VEP is not a toll and hence, LTA has no reason to follow suit. From my understanding, a toll is for the use of the causeway which both sides will impose their equivalent charges, whilst a VEP is for entry into each country and is independent to what each country charges.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
If JB impose a VEP of RM 50 JUST for Singapore Cars, the impact is a lot more worse than the past weekend where toll is just RM 16.50.

Imagoi
The Malaysians should do away with the recent causeway toll increase and maintain its status quo. In this way, there is no reason for LTA to also impose an equivalent increase. What Malaysia should do instead is to implement a VEP for foreign cars, mainly targeting Singapore cars of course. A VEP is not a toll and hence, LTA has no reason to follow suit. From my understanding, a toll is for the use of the causeway which both sides will impose their equivalent charges, whilst a VEP is for entry into each country and is independent to what each country charges.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Malaysia should do instead is to implement a VEP for foreign cars, mainly targeting Singapore cars of course. A VEP is not a toll and hence, LTA has no reason to follow suit. From my understanding, a toll is for the use of the causeway which both sides will impose their equivalent charges, whilst a VEP is for entry into each country and is independent to what each country charges.

I think a Singaporean MP, Mr Cedric Foo, has previously stated that it will be only logical for Singapore to charge an equivalent VEH on MY cars, should 1 be charged on SG cars. Actually it can be implemented via autopass card quite easily. An equivalent charge (say S$20, assuming VEH is RM $50) can be deducted from autopass card at all times while the 2am to 5 pm charges remains at $35 (inclusive of $20 VEH).

http://travel.asiaone.com/article/news/johor-highway-toll-for-spore-cars-only

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If JB impose a VEP of RM 50 JUST for Singapore Cars, the impact is a lot more worse than the past weekend where toll is just RM 16.50.

Imagoi
It need not be at RM50. It's up to them to decide on whether they want to take into consideration the sustainability of the commercial businesses in JB.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think a Singaporean MP, Mr Cedric Foo, has previously stated that it will be only logical for Singapore to charge an equivalent VEH on MY cars, should 1 be charged on SG cars. Actually it can be implemented via autopass card quite easily. An equivalent charge (say S$20, assuming VEH is RM $50) can be deducted from autopass card at all times while the 2am to 5 pm charges remains at $35 (inclusive of $20 VEH).

http://travel.asiaone.com/article/news/johor-highway-toll-for-spore-cars-only
This piece of news was dated March 2012. LTA had already said that their rational for increasing the VEP for Malaysian cars is to keep up to the cost of running an equivalent car in Singapore. It's not and should not be a tit-for-tat action. Besides, Singapore has been imposing the VEP for eons whilst Johor has not even started yet. Although nobody can stop Singapore from increasing the VEP should Malaysia starts 1, but it will only goes to show the discredit of the LTA should it does so.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
This piece of news was dated March 2012. LTA had already said that their rational for increasing the VEP for Malaysian cars is to keep up to the cost of running an equivalent car in Singapore. It's not and should not be a tit-for-tat action. Besides, Singapore has been imposing the VEP for eons whilst Johor has not even started yet. Although nobody can stop Singapore from increasing the VEP should Malaysia starts 1, but it will only goes to show the discredit of the LTA should it does so.

Well if MY imposes a VEH that discriminates between peak & off peak and weekday & weekends (like SG), then I feel it is alright. If not, I would support LTA to levy an equivalent charge on MY cars. It is only fair imho, and probably many citizens' views too.

VEH is after all, to equalise the cost of driving MY cars on SG roads.