• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bravo to Malaysian Government to impose such fee on Singaporean car. I fully support. I hope it will gradually increase from RM50 to RM80 in future. Lesser Singapore cars in Jb is good for Johorean. Lesser congestion.

Aaaa... do you really think the majority of S plate are Singaporeans or SPR and EP.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
what is happening in johor is called "unbridled capitalism" :smile:

unbridled capitalism? but still got protection of citizens' jobs against foreigners. Really unbridled capitalism will go for lowest cost or maximum profit and hire foreigners for all levels of jobs, like what is happening in Spore.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to think through chain effect before suggesting for SG to raise e VEP for Malaysia cars. Be careful what you wish for.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's very true. Gotta be careful to think through the potential consequences.
Who knows how's it gonna turn out.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bravo to Malaysian Government to impose such fee on Singaporean car. I fully support. I hope it will gradually increase from RM50 to RM80 in future. Lesser Singapore cars in Jb is good for Johorean. Lesser congestion.

I don't know what they are thinking. Do they really think the Spore-based spenders who enter Malaysia to spend money will spend just RM 50? Surely a family lunch and dinner with petrol will make the Malaysia economy richer by RM 200 at least? If they throw in RM 50 levy and this family spend in Singapore, they lose RM 150.

Many of my colleagues easily spend RM 1000 a trip to Malaysia

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know what they are thinking. Do they really think the Spore-based spenders who enter Malaysia to spend money will spend just RM 50? Surely a family lunch and dinner with petrol will make the Malaysia economy richer by RM 200 at least? If they throw in RM 50 levy and this family spend in Singapore, they lose RM 150.

Many of my colleagues easily spend RM 1000 a trip to Malaysia

johor state wants a piece of the action. the question is: will you still go M'sia if have to pay 50RM per entry.?

For me i won't go for short trips anymore. Normally if I'm bored in singapore, i'll go in like 1-3 time a week to makan, buy cigarette, pump petrol, do some simple grocery shopping and so on. With 50RM i won't go in so often. I mean, i won't miss not going to pump petrol in JB. I will still go once a month, for longer stay ie long weekend and so on, but not short day trips.

Last edited:

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Msia govt stands to lose out by implementing 50RM rule. Day trippers will be greatly reduced. One wonders if they have any intelligence at all, to propose such a tit-for-tat rule.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It doesnt mean SG wont increase if JB doesnt increase.

Gone were the days of getting things on the cheap in Malaysia. Subsidised commodities is slowly eased back to normal pricing. Petrol, sugar, flour, electricity, etc are all good examples. Tolls and VEP is no different. Time for road consumers to pay as they use without subsidies. Road maintenance, road expansions, street lights, drainage, rubbish clearance from clogged drains, traffic signalling, etc all need money.
Lesser traffic will affect businesses but that is the private sector. Other than income tax and council taxes especially on food and services the Government do not get anything else. The public spending need immediate reimbursements.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah how come the state govt seems to be struggling to keep up.
Everytime change policy with immediate effect.
Seems like the developers are exploiting a lot of loopholes and the state just cannot keep up.
Doesn't look too good for the state govt.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those Chink developers are going to curse and swear over this additional cost for them. Anyway, it's also good to teach them a painful lesson not to meddle with a country which they are not familiar with. They truly deserve and ask for it. No wonder the likes of Li Ka-Shing and Sun Hung Kai are not into this business in JB.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
大臣表示,「国际房屋区」的规划是为了限制外国人在本地置产区域,以免发生外国人与本地人竞购本地市场的情况。根据初步规划,「国际房屋区」(International Zone)位于依斯干达发展区内的填海地段,或面海区域。

Maybe buying normal landed house is history in jb..:biggrin:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like that also can? The Malaysian govt can change rules as they pleased. I wont be surprised one day they said all foreigners who owned houses in Malaysia can only sell them off at 50% valuation. Singapore and Malaysia are getting harder for investors to play. Maybe Makati or Cambodia will benefit from the spillover

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
If levy RM 50 why on earth would I go in daily? Even if I have a house there, paying RM 2000 for levy and toll a month just to stay in JB ??? Cmon I am not that dumb.

This and the news of Country Garden reclaimation off 2nd link made me decide no more investment in Malaysia at all. No more!

johor state wants a piece of the action. the question is: will you still go M'sia if have to pay 50RM per entry.?

For me i won't go for short trips anymore. Normally if I'm bored in singapore, i'll go in like 1-3 time a week to makan, buy cigarette, pump petrol, do some simple grocery shopping and so on. With 50RM i won't go in so often. I mean, i won't miss not going to pump petrol in JB. I will still go once a month, for longer stay ie long weekend and so on, but not short day trips.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian govt is biting the hand that feeds them.
Such unpredictable policies.
I can see the rationale behind LKY comments and also understand the appeal of Singapore properties.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian govt is biting the hand that feeds them.
Such unpredictable policies.
I can see the rationale behind LKY comments and also understand the appeal of Singapore properties.

A lot of investors in high-end Singapore properties lost millions of SGD despite the property boom from 2009-2012. Now the prices have softened by about 5% since 2013. It is risky to buy Singapore properties now after factoring the stamp duties (3% stamp duty, ABSD, SSD, and legal, loan and agent fees etc). Rental of large units is an issue now. Singapore properties have lost their appeal since 2012.