• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the 1970s, it is common knowledge in SG & MY military doctrine that cutting off our water supply is tantamount to an act of war.

I think cutting water supply and cutting off ONLY source of water supply is totally different. I believed Spore is multi sourcing its water supply so it is not at risk on any front.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think cutting water supply and cutting off ONLY source of water supply is totally different. I believed Spore is multi sourcing its water supply so it is not at risk on any front.

Best is still to reverse the decisions on the fee hike on SG side. Malaysia is only taking a bilateral decision.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think when singapore government impose increase fee on malaysian car, they should expect malaysia will retaliate. MAlaysia cant be a sitting duck right? anyway, the fee impose by malaysia on singapore car is so minimal compare to singapore increased fee. No reason for singaporean to complain. As for malaysia PR, hard luck to them but they still earn sing dollar and should not be hard on them too.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
RM 100 per entry of Singapore car into Johor issit too much? That was being discussed by the State govt and will be announced anytime

I think when singapore government impose increase fee on malaysian car, they should expect malaysia will retaliate. MAlaysia cant be a sitting duck right? anyway, the fee impose by malaysia on singapore car is so minimal compare to singapore increased fee. No reason for singaporean to complain. As for malaysia PR, hard luck to them but they still earn sing dollar and should not be hard on them too.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
RM 100 per entry of Singapore car into Johor issit too much? That was being discussed by the State govt and will be announced anytime

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...-will-be-channelled-to-Johor-govt-says-Najib/

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Aziz Kaprawi, who was also present, said the state government proposed a fee of RM20 for Singapore-registered vehicles entering the state via the Causeway and the Second Link.

Aziz also said the VEP would only be implemented on the country’s southern border and would only in**volve Singapore-registered vehicles.

The issue of imposing a levy for foreign-registered vehicles entering Johor has been raised various times in the past but the idea was scrapped following views it could deter Singaporeans from visiting Malaysia.

However, the state government has been pressing for the VEP to be implemented especially after Singapore recently announced that it would raise its VEP fee for fo*reign-registered cars from S$20 (RM52) to S$35 (RM90), beginning August.

The republic also announced that the fee for foreign-registered goods vehicles would also be raised from S$10 (RM26) to S$40 (RM103).

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is so much good will that the other side have given Singaporeans, no need to fillup white cards is already a great convenience. I really hate to give others the impression that we run the country like a business, and everything is about dollars & cents.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

no , wrong. hard luck for jb developer, condo, petrol station, those makan shop, selling beer, ciggies, pubs etc in Jb.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
no , wrong. hard luck for jb developer, condo, petrol station, those makan shop, selling beer, ciggies, pubs etc in Jb.

Wah.... Anyway, we comeback again to this thread to find out whether such "disaster" will happen. My take is, everything will be just like usual bcos fee impose is so minimal to singaporean. At most, the causeway will be not so jam for the most two weeks. Later, the crowd is coming back again.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is so much good will that the other side have given Singaporeans, no need to fillup white cards is already a great convenience. I really hate to give others the impression that we run the country like a business, and everything is about dollars & cents.

I concur and i absolutely agree.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah.... Anyway, we comeback again to this thread to find out whether such "disaster" will happen. My take is, everything will be just like usual bcos fee impose is so minimal to singaporean. At most, the causeway will be not so jam for the most two weeks. Later, the crowd is coming back again.

As I said, there are a lot of weekend cars & pple who go to Plaza Angsana & Pandan market to save some money (besides the car wash & petrol saving crowd). These pple will definitely visit less. It may not be so immediately obvious to you, as you don't go to SG much, but a 20% drop is a big impact to businesses. As you said, see how it goes lor, but too bad for the daily commuting PRs. Being a weekender, it really doesn't affect me too much, even at RM 100.

But I just laugh at the naivety of certain forumers who think part of the money will go to improving JB roads/amenities etc, rather than 5th Avenue shopping sprees. I thought Malaysians are typically more streetwise.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I said, there are a lot of weekend cars & pple who go to Plaza Angsana & Pandan market to save some money (besides the car wash & petrol saving crowd). These pple will definitely visit less. It may not be so immediately obvious to you, as you don't go to SG much, but a 20% drop is a big impact to businesses. As you said, see how it goes lor, but too bad for the daily commuting PRs. Being a weekender, it really doesn't affect me too much, even at RM 100.

But I just laugh at the naivety of certain forumers who think part of the money will go to improving JB roads/amenities etc, rather than 5th Avenue shopping sprees. I thought Malaysians are typically more streetwise.

Gov need to give some excuses to implement certain policy. If improvement of JB road and amenities really happen, i will say that is a bonus. If singaporean people come to jb to shopping can be reduce by 20%, that can also lead to a positive outcome. Although business may be affected but for people in JB, we may find price reduction on goods is possible when the demand dropped. That is good news.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be interesting to see for JB the economic effects of the fee hike.....
We shall all judge again in Sep onwards.

:*:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If singaporean people come to jb to shopping can be reduce by 20%, that can also lead to a positive outcome. Although business may be affected but for people in JB, we may find price reduction on goods is possible when the demand dropped. That is good news.
Your thinking is very short sighted indeed. You totally have no businessman acumen. Why you never think that if businesses were to suffer, it will lead to more closures and eventually, more people will be out of job. Do you think this is good for the state/country for the overall? If there will be less jobs available, the people will have no choice, but to go (take bus or motorcycles) to Singapore to get jobs, or even relocate to KL, if feasible. Already, the Chinese population in Malaysia is getting lesser by the year and this is a continuing trend by those who can make it or afford to leave the country. My neighbor and his wife have started to apply for the (US) green card. His sister and husband (both Malaysians) are already in Brisbane for several years already.

Last edited:

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Business loss revenue = Close down or Downsize = Unemployment Up = Social Unrest = Crimes = Population Exodus = Investor Exodus = ????IRDA???

Ur Guess is as good as mine.

LOL

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they will impose the VEP on per day basis instead of per entry, then I think those Singaporeans and SPRs driving Singapore cars and residing in JB will be the worst hit.

If one is to think logically, the Malaysian government is falling directly into the trap set by the Singapore government. By increasing the VEP into Singapore, the LTA is anticipating the Johor side to do likewise and the net result will be lesser Singapore cars driving into JB. More Singaporeans will do their shopping in Singapore instead and hence the Singapore government can collect more GST and at the same time minimize the capital outflow into JB's economy.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well... Currently this the the populist move to take for Najib after mulling it for months.....
So many people/groups in Msia CHEERED this populist Move.
PAP is shrewd indeed.

:*:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gov need to give some excuses to implement certain policy. If improvement of JB road and amenities really happen, i will say that is a bonus. If singaporean people come to jb to shopping can be reduce by 20%, that can also lead to a positive outcome. Although business may be affected but for people in JB, we may find price reduction on goods is possible when the demand dropped. That is good news.

at least i know you or your family not doing those food, makan, or other consumer business that rely on singaporean dollar and crowd . if you do, you won't feel this happy.

you think about it. now 2nd link got less car than 1st link. would u say the traffic at 2nd link is 50% less than 1st link? 2nd link charge only 10RM more, and already you see 50% less car there. If RM50 VEP, you think ppl still go buy ciggie, pump petrol, drink coffee, makan restoran, car wash?
we not forced to go JB you know. if nearby and cheap, ok, we go. if not, we don't go. simple as that.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your thinking is very short sighted indeed. You totally have no businessman acumen. Why you never think that if businesses were to suffer, it will lead to more closures and eventually, more people will be out of job. Do you think this is good for the state/country for the overall? If there will be less jobs available, the people will have no choice, but to work (take bus or motorcycles) to Singapore to get jobs, or even relocate to KL, if feasible. Already, the Chinese population in Malaysia is getting lesser by the year and this is a continuing trend by those who can make it or afford to leave the country. My neighbor and his wife have started to apply for the (US) green card. His sister and husband (both Malaysians) are already in Brisbane for several years already.

Is true that i have no businessmen acumen bcos i am thinking in the perspective of a consumer. A minimal entry fee will lead to closure of many businesses in JB? This is an absurb and exaggerated statement. JB and singapore are interdepence on each other. Nobody can boycott anyone. Even with the impose and increase of entry fee on both sides, things will still be normal. Smaller number of shoppers coming in to JB from singapore wont harm JB much. They will return soon later because the prices goods in singapore is damn high. As for people migrating to oversea, this trend will happen with or without the entry fee imposed. There are not correlation at all. When some can afford, they may seek greener pasture at other country bcos the moon on the other side is always rounder. This is another different issues.