• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be friendly and talk to all your neighbours when you see them and find out whether anyone has rented out their unit and at what price/s. With that 'rough' guide from real people, next is to go to Malaysia's iProperty and PropertyGuru to do a simple search for units for rent, just key in the name of your development. You can see a range of asking price but don't jump to conclusion when you see some which are very low or very high. I've called many which are very low, including one today which advertised a semi-d for rent at RM6.5k fully furnished and found out that it is a terrace and not a semi-d. Agents always make such mistakes because they advertise many units and they 'copy and paste' details. Some other agents just advertise low price to get callers, he'll tell the caller that the cheap one has been taken and he has another one but the price is higher.

With the range of 'reasonable prices' in mind and canceling out those 'too high' and 'too low' ones. Ask yourself whether you wanna go for lowest price for quick catch, or you wanna add some extras(value add) to your house and ask for the price on the upper end. I did the latter and asked for the higher price. In fact, I have lesser competitors by doing that because many owners are stingy and don't wanna spend a little in advance to attract tenants. They leave their units totally empty with wirings still hanging around and ask for the lowest price which others are asking. End up there are many more like this and you have a big competition. For your info, I rented out my unit at higher price than neighours in just 1 viewing. In fact, my neighbour's bare unit has been advertising for months at RM10k(lower than mine) but still no takers until today. Ask yourself this question, will developers show you bare units with wirings hanging around or beautiful showroom in order to make you interested? Do Not fully furnish your unit, leave that option open to your potential tenants. Install aircons for whole house and turn on the aircons at least 1 hour before viewing. Clean the whole house before viewing. Sweep the garden and clear all fallen leaves and rubbish. It's hard for people to imagine how nice a house can be if you let them view the ugly and dirty sight. Install water heater for all bathrooms. Install simple lightings, don't go for hanging types because everyone like different style. Your house is a product which you are 'selling' to your potential client. See yourself as an entrepreneur and differentiate your product from your competitors by spending some money first(business capital).

Congrats! Can share how many months of advertising it took you to rent out your unit?

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a harbour and according to the schedule there are trips to Harbourfront from PH but I lost interest in it as its pretty pricey and also a very long ride. Not viable for daily commuters.

Yes. I was tere few mths back. Doubt the response would be good. Unless more amenities at PH. Maybe years to come..

hemohemo

Alfrescian
Loyal
There were a few discussions earlier about renting out houses. From IRAS website, for an investment property being rented out, interest from mortgage installment can be deducted from the rental income. Does this apply to a property in foreign country? Anyone can share your experience about reporting rental income from other country and claiming interest payment?

Last edited:

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my understanding, you can claim the interest deduction against your corresponding rental income in Malaysia. But don't think you can claim that again in SG as the rental income is not from SG

You can get more info from Malaysian tax authority at www.hasil.gov.my

There were a few discussions earlier about renting out houses. From IRAS website, for an investment property being rented out, interest from mortgage installment can be deducted from the rental income. Does this apply to a property in foreign country? Anyone can share your experience about reporting rental income from other country and claiming interest payment?

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Rental income from foreign property is exempted unless it is incidental to your singapore employment. http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=2780

2. Interest payment can only be deducted from the rental income of the property that was purchased using the same mortgage. "The rental expense must be incurred solely for the purpose of producing the rental income".

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=160

so, logically: 1+ 2 = no you can't.

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congrats! Can share how many months of advertising it took you to rent out your unit?

Hi Ginfreely, thank you.

I was really very very lucky. I took my time(few months) to get my house done up with basics and a little extra which other landlords don't do :wink:

1st Oct - Messaged an agent I know and informed him that my unit is ready to rent out.
7th Oct - He replied saying that he has found a potential tenant.
9th Oct - They viewed my unit and another 4 units in both EL and HH. Mine is the highest price :biggrin:
10th Oct - Agent replied saying that they chose my unit and want a second viewing.
11th Oct - Second viewing and confirmed my unit at a slight discount from my asking price.

Took me just 11 days and tenanted to 1st viewer of my house. My neighbor who was asking for around the same price as mine advertised for a few months before getting his tenant in the same week I did.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
You made it sound like you're the only honest person in this world who mean well.
Your first sentence = what others say are all doubtful, all are liars.
Your second sentence = You're the only angel in this world who is kind and won't lie.

The question is - If there is a honest 'you' in this world, can't there be others like you? Or do you really think you're the only honest one in this world?

听者有意. I will just leave it at that. Got a lot of things to do tml....

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi. Just to check is therea clamp down in the loan quantum that we can borrow from the banks.

Heard that foreigners can now only borrow up to 70 percent.
That's pretty unusual? Only heard that no DIBS but didn't hear that the loan quantum dropped as well.

Did I miss this in the budget announcement?

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi. Just to check is therea clamp down in the loan quantum that we can borrow from the banks.

Heard that foreigners can now only borrow up to 70 percent.
That's pretty unusual? Only heard that no DIBS but didn't hear that the loan quantum dropped as well.

Did I miss this in the budget announcement?

In Malaysia, it is already a standard loan margin of maximum 70% if you have 2 or more property loans. I am sure the bankers double check across the border on the status of Singaporean borrowers. Loan applications also subjected to LTV and based on nett take home pay, meaning that your credit cards, car loans or personal loans are taken into account.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Malaysia, it is already a standard loan margin of maximum 70% if you have 2 or more property loans. I am sure the bankers double check across the border on the status of Singaporean borrowers. Loan applications also subjected to LTV and based on nett take home pay, meaning that your credit cards, car loans or personal loans are taken into account.

Must give them your credit bureau rating report. If first property getting at least 80% should not be a problem.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is credit bureau rating report?

Issit something that we must provide? Thought only income statement required?

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
if they don't ask, no need. when i apply loan, only one bank ask for it. guess which one?

If they don't ask, they will do the search themselves. Even if you give them a copy, they will still do it officially themselves.
CCRIS and CTOS (both Malaysian)reports are SOPs of bank loan processing.