• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok, so you do want a VEP of around 30RM. well, looks like you 're getting your wish! :smile:

Everytime, when singapore increase entry fee, malaysian just accept and pay. When johor impose entry fee, singaporean should just accept and pay without complaining bcos Singapore gov started this 1st. Is a balancing act. Malaysia cannot be or seen like a sitting duck right? For us consumers, is a brilliant move.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everytime, when singapore increase entry fee, malaysian just accept and pay. When johor impose entry fee, singaporean should just accept and pay without complaining bcos Singapore gov started this 1st. Is a balancing act. Malaysia cannot be or seen like a sitting duck right? For us consumers, is a brilliant move.

maybe k make an exemption for MM2H holders

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or make exception for people who stay in JB. Looks like they go to pay RM 1000 on levy if per trip is RM 50. Doesn't make economic sense for them to stay in JB which has become more expensive than staying in Singapore?

maybe k make an exemption for MM2H holders

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sheng Shiong is a very profitable Supermarket in town. Their businesses are good because they sell things cheaper than their competitors such as NTUC.

They attract all sorts of shoppers.

Now imagine they start charging S$50 per entry just to go inside Sheng Shiong be it to shit, look around or massive shopping spree, do you think you will still go in?

For bulk purchasers, there is just a slight MAYBE. For 90% of the shoppers they will flock to NTUC.

This type of anology is completely wrong. How can compare sheng shiong and JB? Sheng Shiong is only sell common retail items. JB is a package..... buy goods, petrol, massage, vacation, leisure, mistresses, shopping, work, meetings, etc. Just for RM50. Worth it right?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually it can be implemented in a 2 tiered system.
Weekday and weekend rates since it is normally weekends is jam packed in jB with shoppers.
That way, it is easier for working class on daily commute. Afterall RM100 translate to S$40 which can be easily absorbed as "tourist" expenses. Max also you come in 4x per month.

Hi bro,

Just providing another view point here. Based on VEP of RM100 per day, you're looking at tourists part but forgotten about Iskandar property buyers from Sg. Who would buy a RM550k studio in Medini with instalment of RM1,XXX per month and pay another RM2,XXX per month on VEP?

Even for any other properties at RM1mil like those massive no. of units at Zone A(JB City) with instalment of RM4,XXX per month, more than 90% of sane people from Sg wouldn't wanna pay another RM2,XXX per month on VEP to stay there. With RM7,XXX, these people can already buy a small condo in Sg, not HDB.

Moreover, it's not like the public transport links between Sg and My are already very well established and people from Sg can choose not to drive into Johor but take public transports.

Thus with a VEP of RM100 per day, I think properties in Iskandar will take the biggest hit. People from Sg can just strike the option off their list and continue to stay in Sg.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or make exception for people who stay in JB. Looks like they go to pay RM 1000 on levy if per trip is RM 50. Doesn't make economic sense for them to stay in JB which has become more expensive than staying in Singapore?

If stay in JB, i think a rebate will be given but must pay on monthly basis. i guess.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fee for foreign vehicles soon
BY DESIREE TRESA GASPER AND ZAZALI MUSA
Published: Thursday July 17, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Thursday July 17, 2014 MYT 7:28:18 AM

JOHOR BARU: The Government will implement a Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fee for foreign vehicles that enter Johor.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the decision was made following a request made by the state.

“I have discussed the implementation with Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and have informed Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Wahid Omar pertaining to our decision.

“I have instructed him (Wahid) to inform the Road Transport Depart*ment (JPJ) to discuss on when it can be implemented and to allow them space to work out the details,” he said during a buka puasa event organised by the state after launching a free City Bus service initiated by the Johor Baru Municipal Council (MBJB).

Najib said the details over the VEP fee and its implementation date would be released later, adding that a portion would be channelled to the state government.

Prior to the event, Najib attended a closed-door briefing by the state economic planning unit together with state officials that included Muhyiddin, Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Mohamed Khaled Nordin, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong and Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Chua Tee Yong.

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Aziz Kaprawi, who was also present, said the state government proposed a fee of RM20 for Singapore-registered vehicles entering the state via the Causeway and the Second Link.

Aziz also said the VEP would only be implemented on the country’s southern border and would only involve Singapore-registered vehicles.

The issue of imposing a levy for foreign-registered vehicles entering Johor has been raised various times in the past but the idea was scrapped following views it could deter Singaporeans from visiting Malaysia.

However, the state government has been pressing for the VEP to be implemented especially after Singapore recently announced that it would raise its VEP fee for foreign-registered cars from S$20 (RM52) to S$35 (RM90), beginning August.

The republic also announced that the fee for foreign-registered goods vehicles would also be raised from S$10 (RM26) to S$40 (RM103).

In Kuala Lumpur, the Transport Ministry will present a paper to the Cabinet on the proposed fee to be imposed on Singapore-registered vehicles.

Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin said this was relayed to him by Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai when he voiced the movement’s stand on the issue.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...-will-be-channelled-to-Johor-govt-says-Najib/

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyway, I believe whatever price they charge can always be revised.

If they charge too high and subsequently see that Iskandar takes a bit hit, they can reduce the VEP.
If they charge too low and Iskandar continues to grow strongly for many years, they can also increase it in the far future when Iskandar is more developed.

All these are just minor set backs and hiccups, I'll choose to look far. Najib won't be sooo stupid to watch his baby Iskandar crashes and still insists to charge high VEP.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
VEP fee will have minimal impact on Singaporeans, says Wee
BY YEE XIANG YUN
Published: Thursday July 17, 2014 MYT 12:44:00 PM
Updated: Thursday July 17, 2014 MYT 12:52:30 PM

GELANG PATAH: The proposed Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fee for all foreign vehicles entering Johor Baru will have minimal to no impact on Singaporeans entering the city via the Causeway and Second Link.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong said that tourist arrivals from across the border would not drop just because of an imposed entry fee and that Singaporeans would still come into Malaysia for cheaper food and cheaper products.

"Even with the proposed fee of RM20 suggested by Mentri Besar Datuk Mohamed Khaled Nordin, it is only around S$7.50 for Singaporeans.

"I do not think there is anything for them to worry about compared to the S$35 VEP charge to be imposed on foreign vehicles entering Singapore starting next month," Dr Wee said at press conference here on Thursday.

It was reported that Prime Minister Najib Razak said the decision to implement the VEP fee was made following a request from the state with the date of implementation and rates to be announced later.

Singapore's Land Transport Authority recently announced that the VEP charge for foreign-registered vehicles entering the island republic would be raised from the current S$20 (RM50) to S$35 (RM85.70) starting from Aug 1.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...fee-will-have-minimal-impact-on-Singaporeans/

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your above concern is valid. However, there will be special treatment for singaporean who stay in malaysia and commute to Spore on a daily basis. Just go for the monthly payment. There will be a huge rebate. At most RM500 per month (less than $200).

Of course we would hope for as low as possible but if it's really around RM4XX per month, I'm willing to pay and stay in Johor with my Sg car.
Many countries won't even allow foreigners to buy landed properties in their countries, let alone FREEHOLD landed properties.

No point for me to hope for zero charge by Malaysia, hoping for a reasonable charge that won't crash Iskandar is more practical.

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyway, 2nd link's Toll charges have been reduced by 30% some time back, that's already a savings of RM12.X daily to and fro.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
My weekend home now is actually KLCC, still tot of shifting to a nice place in JB. But after news come out, I will still stick to budget air, free lounge access & complimentary ride home first.