• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ITE college facilities better than Junior colleges!! Acceptable?

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111226-0000019/Disparity-in-tertiary-education-facilities

Disparity in tertiary education facilities
by Kwek Jian Qiang
04:45 AM Dec 26, 2011

Singapore has often been accorded the honour of having one of the best education systems. Our students rank high in their scores, from mathematics to other subjects. There are, though, significant disparities in the quality of learning environments.

When my grandmother visited Singapore this year, one of her most striking comments was when she saw a sparkling, shiny Institute of Technical Education (ITE) "skyscraper" campus.

Her first impression was that, in such a quality school environment, the students would be the best and brightest in Singapore. It took me a while to convince her otherwise and her look of dismay was apparent.

Indeed, a question should be raised: In a system where people are rewarded according to merit, why are our best and brightest not getting the best learning environments?

I once attended a seminar at ITE College East. The interior was like a plush hotel: Sleek floors, plush lecture theatre chairs, high-quality tables - quality exceeding that found in our polytechnics and junior colleges (JC).

From the exterior, with an Olympic-sized swimming pool and a stadium stand, it looked like it was made for the Youth Olympics.

What saddened me, though, was the graffiti on the tables and chairs. Apparently, the students do not cherish what they have. Should any JC or polytechnic student have access to such quality facilities, I have no doubt they would appreciate it better.

There is a need to equalise government spending on school facilities. Campuses such as Anderson JC's and Victoria JC's pale in comparison to ITE College East's.

Our brightest students, who will become Singapore's future leaders, should get the best facilities in order to excel and grow. We should reward according to merit.

The writer is a JC student.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only low class sinkies go to ITE...chidren of FTs dun go to ITEs...so they are investing to groom low class sinkie children to be the future generation of stable jobs to serve under the elites and FTs.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111226-0000019/Disparity-in-tertiary-education-facilities

by Kwek Jian Qiang

Singapore has often been accorded the honour of having one of the best education systems. Our students rank high in their scores, from mathematics to other subjects. There are, though, significant disparities in the quality of learning environments.

When my grandmother visited Singapore this year, one of her most striking comments was when she saw a sparkling, shiny Institute of Technical Education (ITE) "skyscraper" campus.

Her first impression was that, in such a quality school environment, the students would be the best and brightest in Singapore. It took me a while to convince her otherwise and her look of dismay was apparent.

Indeed, a question should be raised: In a system where people are rewarded according to merit, why are our best and brightest not getting the best learning environments?

I once attended a seminar at ITE College East. The interior was like a plush hotel: Sleek floors, plush lecture theatre chairs, high-quality tables - quality exceeding that found in our polytechnics and junior colleges (JC).

From the exterior, with an Olympic-sized swimming pool and a stadium stand, it looked like it was made for the Youth Olympics.

What saddened me, though, was the graffiti on the tables and chairs. Apparently, the students do not cherish what they have. Should any JC or polytechnic student have access to such quality facilities, I have no doubt they would appreciate it better.

There is a need to equalise government spending on school facilities. Campuses such as Anderson JC's and Victoria JC's pale in comparison to ITE College East's.

Our brightest students, who will become Singapore's future leaders, should get the best facilities in order to excel and grow. We should reward according to merit.

So sour and hurt. I myself shed imaginary tears aplenty at the news, though I wouldn't be motivated enough to pen an essay to the press if I were in his shoes.

Ah the low-class is now catching up with us. Sigh, it's the end indeed!!

Last edited:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only low class sinkies go to ITE...chidren of FTs dun go to ITEs...so they are investing to groom low class sinkie children to be the future generation of stable jobs to serve under the elites and FTs.

But A-levels won't net you anything much you know. Those blue-collar workers are having stable and well-paying careers without being in the office. Just what is the world coming to.

Well I take my jc life as a badge of honour regardless - the friends, the lecturers and the overall struggle... fond memories.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But A-levels won't net you anything much you know. Those blue-collar workers are having stable and well-paying careers without being in the office. Just what is the world coming to.

Well I take my jc life as a badge of honour regardless - the friends, the lecturers and the overall struggle... fond memories.

ITE used to be VITB where those dropouts to go to learn a vocation be it car repairs or aircon or hairdressing to be able to find a job. It was a hotbed for SS activities. To present day this is true.
Tay Eng Soon came along to upgrade the image but ITE qualification still counts for nothing...only can get employed in the lowest of the low...some success stories but those are few and far between.
Poly grad only can get an assistant engineer job and prevously even top students not directly accepted into Uni....JC is still the best and easiest way to an Uni education. A degree is what counts, poly and ITE qualifications are useless outside singapore.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If only he had seen the classrooms and corridors and facilities in the old RI at Bras Basah Rd, he would be wondering where Rafflesians got their inspiration from.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

but this is not true, position are determined based on family connections and friends of those close to family.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, curious, what struggle you talking about?

I fell in love madly with a gal in year 1. Kena deflowered by another in year 2. Then turned up to sit for the A levels. It was a breeze! What struggle?

Fond memories indeed! :smile:

Last edited:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyway if you got only A levels, your pay will be lower than those who got a cert from ITE. get a degree first than look down on those ITE grad.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeap, I agree. Got algae somemore.:o

All the furnishings only benefits the contractors and developers, and I wonder who they are:confused::( Why didn't they build an air conditioned smoking room for the ITE students, all of them got to smoke outside the gate in the hot sun.:mad:

If only he had seen the classrooms and corridors and facilities in the old RI at Bras Basah Rd, he would be wondering where Rafflesians got their inspiration from.

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
JC Lab Like Shit

by Kwek Jian Qiang

Wait till you see the Physics lab. Like shit ! A JC is just an extension of a secondary schools. So, what do you want ? Having your lunch in a hawker centre ? What rubbish ! If they can have a scrapped car's exhaust pipe for a barbell is already considered good enough, some places don't even have their own gym which is considered as a luxury.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
ITE Is A Waste Of Time

So sour and hurt. I myself shed imaginary tears aplenty at the news, though I wouldn't be motivated enough to pen an essay to the press if I were in his shoes.

Ah the low-class is now catching up with us. Sigh, it's the end indeed!!

Ask Jair See people to go to ITE lah. But, I think that going to an ITE is really a waste of time, don't you think so ? They are what we call the rejects.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

but this is not true, position are determined based on family connections and friends of those close to family.

I may be wrong, but some JCs are independent or at least semi-autonomous, so they have to raise their own money for facility upkeep, renovation etc, and the money usually comes from the contributions of generous alumni members.

Therefore, it is no surprise that some JCs have poorer or stingier alumni, and consequently they don't have the money to purchase fancy stuff.

On the other hand, how many ITE graduates want to be part of their ITE's alumni?

Don't forget the media blitz from the government which heavily promoted ITE education - they came in the form of mini documentary series and Clear Channel poster ads. I have no doubt that some of the money was spent on upgrading ITE's facilities. When you have a sugar daddy behind your back, money comes easy.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Must Ask Ancient People About Air Raver

Sad. I think the 'ancient' people of the 70s are still considered lucky but not now.

My time O levels can sign on in SAF be officer liao....now O levels even Safincos dun wan you....think they call sispec now.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My time O levels can sign on in SAF be officer liao....now O levels even Safincos dun wan you....think they call sispec now.

"O" or "A" levels of no use today. How far can one go when working for others? Either set up own biz or go into 'phian mng' are better options. Look around the night scene. The phian chaps are spending like there is no tomorrow. And they have more $ than our MBA holders.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"O" or "A" levels of no use today. How far can one go when working for others? Either set up own biz or go into 'phian mng' are better options. Look around the night scene. The phian chaps are spending like there is no tomorrow. And they have more $ than our MBA holders.

I'm ignorant... what's 'phian mng'?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
O-Level Is Not Enough

200px-MIT_Seal.svg.png

Has anyone taken a SAT score before ? It's an American standard ? I think Princeton, Harvard and MIT are the best. NUS ? So ... unknown. How about Imperial ?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm ignorant... what's 'phian mng'?

Underground activities - horse racing/soccer bookies/runners, 4D and Toto operators, contraband cigs, pimping etc. The big timers in these activities drive Bentleys, 7 series, 350s, Lambo, Porsche etc. They have several properties in their names too. Some even purchase buildings!