• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I visited a family early this month.

She is a Singaporean, 44 years old.

Her husband is working as a warehouse assistant earning $1350 per month.

2nd daughter suffered brain cancer

she receives no help from the CDC and FSC

her parents told me that competition for the collection of these karang guni items by the poor is so fierce in Bedok that they have resorted to go to tampines for the collection.

is Singapore doing well?

What can $1350 buy today?

Our top politicians are earning close to $3000 PER DAY. Still No Enuf!!!

Poor daughter is sick and there is no financial assistance or advice from those in power.

Off course these politicians will say help is on hand. But nothing is publicised anywhere as to how to get it and what are the criteria to meet.

Finally I am further shocked to hear that the competition for trash collection by our truly "poor and out" and those that need to survive, is getting fiercer and fiercer by the day that "new-players" had to find newer areas to "mine" the trash.

I hope there won't be fights over turf as what happened in the 80's when newspaper vendors were murdered in "territorial-disputes".

Shame on the highly-paid politicians among us.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poor daughter is sick and there is no financial assistance. from those in power.

Off course these politicians will say help is on hand.But nothing is publicised anywhere as to how to get it and what are the criteria tyo meet.

Finally I am further shocked to hear that the competition for trash collection by out truly poor and out and those that need to survive is getting fiercer and fiercer by the day that "new-players" had to find newe areas.

I hope there won't be fights over turf as what happend in the 80's when newspaper vendors were murdered in "territorial-disputes.

exactly...it's when you see these hardworking people, how they are struggling that you realise that the pap has lost its way.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poor daughter is sick and there is no financial assistance or advice from those in power.

Off course these politicians will say help is on hand. But nothing is publicised anywhere as to how to get it and what are the criteria to meet.

Finally I am further shocked to hear that the competition for trash collection by our truly "poor and out" and those that need to survive, is getting fiercer and fiercer by the day that "new-players" had to find newer areas to "mine" the trash.

I hope there won't be fights over turf as what happened in the 80's when newspaper vendors were murdered in "territorial-disputes".

go to chinatown eg Hong Lim Food Centre at abt lunch time and you see middle aged PRC ladies selling tissue papers too

N

newbird9403

Instead of the Sammyboy's forum has this problem being presented to the correct agency. I am sure such cases will receive assistance. You mentioned about the case quite intimately. Have you asked why no help is offered????

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Instead of the Sammyboy's forum has this problem being presented to the correct agency. I am sure such cases will receive assistance. You mentioned about the case quite intimately. Have you asked why no help is offered????

have you read my post abt Mdm Koh SH?
if not, go read it and you will get a better picture

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i hv brought some people to FSC and CDC and I know the red tapes and excuses they give ...dont believe the pap that aid is available to the poor.

listen to what Dr Paul Thamby shared abt how some sick singaporeans suffer becuase of lack of help

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I visited a family early this month.

She is a Singaporean, 44 years old.

Her husband is working as a warehouse assistant earning $1350 per month. she has four chidlren...eldest is in sec doing triple science, double maths.

2nd daughter suffered brain cancer..3rd daughter is in P6 and son is in P2.

she sold her hdb flat to pay for her 2nd daughter's medical bills and is staying with her parents in a4 room hdb flat in Bedok. she receives no help from the CDC and FSC

her parents helped by going out after dinner to collect old newspapers, cardboard boxes, used drink cans, etc..they sell the cardboard boxes and newspapers for 10+cents per kilo. her parents told me that competition for the collection of these karang guni items by the poor is so fierce in Bedok that they have resorted to go to tampines for the collection.

is Singapore doing well?

I am not a PAP supporter but let's be objective here. if this family are as poor as you make them out to be, then why did they choose to have 4 kids? If they dont have the ability to raise 4 kids then they should have had less. Why should tax payers have to support their life choices? And is the 44 year old woman working? If she can't afford to work full time, she can always work part time. If she cant work weekdays, she can always work weekends.

Let me give you a real life story. My clients, mid-30s, were a pair of cancer survivors. Male had nose cancer. Woman had breast cancer. (In fact, 2 out of 3 females in her family have had breast cancer.) They already had 2 kids when I met them and were going for a third. To me, they came across as totally irresponsible parents. Their children were likely to have cancer too. So do you think we should be made to pay for the children's cancer treatments one day should cancer occur? Well, it's debateable. But let me tell you what they did. They bought insurance savings plans for both their children. So that in the event that anything bad happened, they still had protection. This couple only had O levels and were factory workers who put in tons of overtime so that they could pay for their life choices.

It is hard getting sympathy from me cos my family was poor once too. Having to stay in rental flats or with relatives. And i know the dispair that comes with poverty. I never thought I would be able to get into university or buy expensive things. But with hardwork, we pulled through and are quite comfortable today. And we did it all without any government help.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not a PAP supporter but let's be objective here. if this family are as poor as you make them out to be, then why did they choose to have 4 kids? If they dont have the ability to raise 4 kids then they should have had less. Why should tax payers have to support their life choices? And is the 44 year old woman working? If she can't afford to work full time, she can always work part time. If she cant work weekdays, she can always work weekends.

The lady was a kindergarten teacher. She quitted her job 3 years ago when her 2nd daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer. She loves her children and wanted to care for them. Let's us not be judgemental and think we know her situation better than she does and think that we can run her family better than she does.

I have visited her and sense that she has love and compassion and is doing her best to love and care for her family. Unlike what you think, she is dignified and is not looking for sympathy. Despite her situation I have great respect for her as she takes good care of her children. Her childen are doing very well in school..her eldest daughter is taking pure biology, pur chemistry, pure physics, elementary maths and additional maths.

What wld be disastrous is that because of their situation and that they dont seek financial aid, they dont get enough nutrition and their children get trapped in the vicious poverty cycle and their health suffers in later years.

As a country, we can help dignified singaporeans like her who try to make the best of a bad situation.

To people like you who have experienced and risen from a bad hand, I am happy for you and wish you well. I hope you have more heart and compassion for the poor and under privileged and not look down at them and think that it was their fault to be in a bad situation

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
The lady was a kindergarten teacher. She quitted her job 3 years ago when her 2nd daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer. She loves her children and wanted to care for them. Let's us not be judgemental and think we know her situation better than she does and think that we can run her family better than she does.

I have visited her and sense that she has love and compassion and is doing her best to love and care for her family. Unlike what you think, she is dignified and is not looking for sympathy. Despite her situation I have great respect for her as she takes good care of her children. Her childen are doing very well in school..her eldest daughter is taking pure biology, pur chemistry, pure physics, elementary maths and additional maths.

What wld be disastrous is that because of their situation and that they dont seek financial aid, they dont get enough nutrition and their children get trapped in the vicious poverty cycle and their health suffers in later years.

As a country, we can help dignified singaporeans like her who try to make the best of a bad situation.

To people like you who have experienced and risen from a bad hand, I am happy for you and wish you well. I hope you have more heart and compassion for the poor and under privileged and not look down at them and think that it was their fault to be in a bad situation

I dont know how much a kindergarten teacher makes. I guess it would be a respectable amount but she wouldnt qualify as a high income earner. But regardless of how much she made, she would have been a learned woman. she would have understood the risks and costs of parenthood. My wife and I did the math the day we decide to become parents. Insurance, education costs, etc... Anyway, it was a choice that her husband and her made to have 4 children and they should have made contingencies for sickness or death to anyone in the family. That's called prudence. That's called responsibility. They made their choices so they should live by them.

Education is the best social mobility tool. It is also a tool that is hard to abuse - i.e. lazy ppl can't over consume education. And if like what you say, that her children are doing well in school, then they would do alright. You worry too much. How many skin and bones students do you see in school these days? I haven't seen one. Now there are programs in school where children get fed. Anyway, when she is at her wits end, she will go knocking on doors that will help her. For the moment, she is choosing to give her family emotional/spiritual wealth over financial wealth, so let her be.

Your call for me/us not to be judgemental... I am partly in agreement. I am not judging her. She's not the one calling out for help. I am judging you. You are the one thats asking for us to sympathise with her. We don't live in lalaland. We live in the real world where there are taxes, budgets, and deficits. I agree that the govt can be more generous with welfare support. Even though, I had never been on welfare, I have seen families apply and get financial help (but made to jump through hoops first) - and in this case, it was financial help for breast cancer treatment. But I have also seen welfare being abused. A single mother who refuses to work, claiming that she has to take care of her 2 young children, who also picks on the brand of canned food that the charities handed out to her. The point I am trying to make here is that it is easy to call on the govt to give out more help but it is hard to determine who geniunely needs help and hard to prevent abuse. The case you highlighted does not justify the need for welfare. Just because you are willing to pay higher taxes to fund more generous welfare programs doesn't mean others want to.

Ironically, welfare programs, in the long run, hurt the people they are suppose to help. Educated, wealthy and socially mobile ppl will and can move away when taxes rise to a level that they deem unacceptable. It's the ppl who cant leave who will have to stay behind and pay for the welfare that the generations before them enjoyed. Then that would truly be the crumbling of Singapore-when it becomes a welfare state with taxes so high that the elite start to leave.

Highlight a genuine case of hardship that the govt agencies refused to help and I will be more supportive

Last edited:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
you want an actual bona fide case of hardship to be posted on a public board?
this is the pappy style, I suppose you are a pappy supporter or even part of their IB.

ok you live in lala land esp if you cannot see whats going on in the real world.

I feel sad for your kid, cos with your type of myopic thinking, it is your progeny who are going to get screwed.

Highlight a genuine case of hardship that the govt agencies refused to help and I will be more supportive

N

newbird9403

Mere words again. Ask you to highlight and you can't even state one. But claimed that I am myopic etc. Its people like you that bitched about all the time. I was not born with a golden spoon and I have to toil hard to make my money. I don't live in luxury but I am happy with a good government. In Indonesia, if you don't have money, the hospital will not care for you. Bribery and corruptions is happening in every government agency. Money talks.

Tracy88 mentioned about the good side of Aussieland. I fully supports that. But see what high taxes they have to pay just to support many that doesn't want to work.

I am aware of the high cost of living in Singapore and I hope the government can do something to resolve it. But can the high cost be blamed on the govenment in a country that is dependent on fuel to run the daily chores.

High cost of HDB flats, why??? ever ask yourself why? Cement price has gone up. Sand???? even cost of the foreign labours. So how can price of HDB flats be low. Are you willing to sell your flat below the valuation price. Everyone of us think his/her property is worth more than that and will not want to sell it cheap. So the prices keep escalating because there is a market and plenty of willing buyers.

Such things are frightening, but even the price is ridiculously high, it is still sold...... Tell me how are you going to solve such issues.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yawn......You are blind and stupid. I have already stated that I am not a PAP supporter and that WE DO NOT LIVE in lala land.

i posted a good counter argument to tracy's post. it wasn't personal. as for yours, its as childish as it gets.

N

newbird9403

You hide behind a computer and called others blind and stupid. I will pray for you. I never let insults hurt me, only the truth. I dare faced the truth, hardships etc.., because I believe in that nothing comes free and you need to work for it.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
You hide behind a computer and called others blind and stupid. I will pray for you. I never let insults hurt me, only the truth. I dare faced the truth, hardships etc.., because I believe in that nothing comes free and you need to work for it.

my reply was meant for andyfisher... :confused: (blind) cos he didn't read my post properly and (stupid) doesn't give good arguements...

Last edited:

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me give you a real life story. My clients, mid-30s, were a pair of cancer survivors. Male had nose cancer. Woman had breast cancer. (In fact, 2 out of 3 females in her family have had breast cancer.) They already had 2 kids when I met them and were going for a third. To me, they came across as totally irresponsible parents. Their children were likely to have cancer too. So do you think we should be made to pay for the children's cancer treatments one day should cancer occur? Well, it's debateable. But let me tell you what they did. They bought insurance savings plans for both their children. So that in the event that anything bad happened, they still had protection. This couple only had O levels and were factory workers who put in tons of overtime so that they could pay for their life choices.

It is hard getting sympathy from me cos my family was poor once too. Having to stay in rental flats or with relatives. And i know the dispair that comes with poverty. I never thought I would be able to get into university or buy expensive things. But with hardwork, we pulled through and are quite comfortable today. And we did it all without any government help.

What is the point you are making here. The couple should not have kids because they are genetically problematic ? They are buying insurance and likely to use it hence making other policy owners "pay" for it ? Or you do not agree with their life choice ? ........

I think they are smart and responsible to buy insurance to protect their children from financial difficulties and the high cost of living and medical cost in Singapore. They are working hard just like you did. They bought insurance so that they are more independent should a bad thing happen to them. So I really do not get your point.

It is their life choice to be in this less than ideal state but I am sure many of us heard of cases the other way around. Couple making tons of money and do not want to have kids because too busy and money not enough. Last week heard over the radio of 2 such cases. One was a couple earning > 25 K pm, wanted government help to teach them how to handle stress so that they can have a 3rd child. Other couple, one doctor and one teacher, say money not enough because they send both kids to childcare that is $1.2K pm and blar blar expenses. Which family would you give sympathy ?

Huatchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncle TCSS.JPGUncles TCSS cn.jpg

migrate anyone?