• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New BBC documentary to explain how china get rich and west stuck in debts

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video]http://www.megavideo.com/?d=Z287XL00[/video]

The partys over how the west went bust

Episode 1 of 2
DURATION: 1 HOUR
In the teeth of the worst financial crisis in living memory, BBC business editor Robert Peston examines how the world got to this point and how the collossal imbalances in the global economy have left the UK in need of a radical economic overhaul.

In this first of two programmes Peston examines how, thirty years ago, momentous decisions were taken which shaped the world we live in today. In China, Deng Xiao Ping opened up the country to foreign capitalists; in Britain and America, the free market revolution was unleashed by Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. The Party's Over compares the lives of workers in a Chinese company with their co-workers in Britain.

Robert Peston interviews bankers, politicians and economists, and concludes that the boom we enjoyed before the crash was based on an illusion, and that the world's economy is now so unbalanced that in the West we face a sobering wake-up call.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube_share;gWtrbGWixRQ]http://youtu.be/gWtrbGWixRQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;ugbthPAJb_U]http://youtu.be/ugbthPAJb_U[/video]

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
My fahter is so rich that he owed the banks alot of money .... says the Westerners.

My father is so rich that he still lives in the same house, with the same furnitures and eat the same food for last 30 years ... says the Chinese PRC.

My father is so rich that he pays himself $M as a civil servant and PM in Singapore and no one dare to say or do anything about it as long as he kept the ISA .... hahahaha

[video]http://www.megavideo.com/?d=Z287XL00[/video]

The partys over how the west went bust

Episode 1 of 2
DURATION: 1 HOUR
In the teeth of the worst financial crisis in living memory, BBC business editor Robert Peston examines how the world got to this point and how the collossal imbalances in the global economy have left the UK in need of a radical economic overhaul.

In this first of two programmes Peston examines how, thirty years ago, momentous decisions were taken which shaped the world we live in today. In China, Deng Xiao Ping opened up the country to foreign capitalists; in Britain and America, the free market revolution was unleashed by Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. The Party's Over compares the lives of workers in a Chinese company with their co-workers in Britain.

Robert Peston interviews bankers, politicians and economists, and concludes that the boom we enjoyed before the crash was based on an illusion, and that the world's economy is now so unbalanced that in the West we face a sobering wake-up call.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just for discussion sake, let me suggest, its not just about Singapore but all Sino-centric cultures. I suspect that we have little patience and seek results quickly. We are thus strong in reproducing technology. The Japanese and Koreans will attempt to re-invent the wheel but not us. Taiwan is master of OEMs but does not bother to innovate. China will continue to milk their cheap labour. My suspicion is that it has to more with culture than control.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just for discussion sake, let me suggest, its not just about Singapore but all Sino-centric cultures. I suspect that we have little patience and seek results quickly. We are thus strong in reproducing technology. The Japanese and Koreans will attempt to re-invent the wheel but not us. Taiwan is master of OEMs but does not bother to innovate. China will continue to milk their cheap labour. My suspicion is that it has to more with culture than control.

singapore do very badly. just like uk, the engineering students wear tie and go to banks and make big bucks. the only reason why we did not lose all technology comapnies, are cheap FT/FW. we are not at the level of taiwan ,koreans and china.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Non-existent IP Laws in China is what's stopping it from being 'original'. S Korea and Taiwan have done reasonably well though not to the extent of westerners. The fact that Asians born or bred in US have done very well as inventors and scientists (much more than their 'home' counterparts) shows that nurture is very important in creating great minds. To this end, with the PAP at the helm for nearly 50 years, Singapore has been an utter failure.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singapore is build to supply workers for multinational. pap did very well to achieve this. they never set up the education system for inventors and scientists. so pap never failed, it is not their aim.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very interesting doc. I enjoyed watching it.. 1st of all looking at the china students and their commitment to education scares you, Secondly my thoughts was on our housing market.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very interesting doc. I enjoyed watching it.. 1st of all looking at the china students and their commitment to education scares you, Secondly my thoughts was on our housing market.

not interested in china students, they have a long way to go to compete with germany and usa.

singapore housing market is doom, fuel by bank loans, and world recession, it will collapse and a lot of singaporean will be bankrupt.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
BBC's The party is over Part 2/2

[video=youtube;pPAUWvuZ2LQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPAUWvuZ2LQ&feature=g-all-a&list=PL40763E12280FDFC8&context=G2b500feFAAAAAAAAFAA[/video]

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find this documentary very one sided. True there are problems that the west is facing but to put the blame fully on the people is wrong. He heaps alot of praises for China and the East but what about the problems China is giving to the West? Where are his solutions? What about the taxation policies of the west which discourages domestic investment? What about tax benefits for the rich? What about the fact that the rich pays less in tax in percentage as compared to the middle class worker? What about the discriminatory trade policies China puts in place to discourage imports from the West? What about rent seeking behaviour by Corporations in the West aka Corporate welfare? Why was protection of banks given but not protection of the people?

This documentary is more sucking up to the Chinese and putting the west down. And also the 'solutions' are more to protect the banks and entrench interest groups that have benefited from the system,,that is the 1%

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find this documentary very one sided. True there are problems that the west is facing but to put the blame fully on the people is wrong. He heaps alot of praises for China and the East but what about the problems China is giving to the West? Where are his solutions? What about the taxation policies of the west which discourages domestic investment? What about tax benefits for the rich? What about the fact that the rich pays less in tax in percentage as compared to the middle class worker? What about the discriminatory trade policies China puts in place to discourage imports from the West? What about rent seeking behaviour by Corporations in the West aka Corporate welfare? Why was protection of banks given but not protection of the people?

This documentary is more sucking up to the Chinese and putting the west down. And also the 'solutions' are more to protect the banks and entrench interest groups that have benefited from the system,,that is the 1%

I dun know which documentary you've watched. Sucking up to the Chinese and putting the West down? Huh?:eek:Solutions are more to protect the banks and entrenched interest groups??Double Huh?:eek::eek: