• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sex With Humans Made Neanderthals Extinct

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
neanderthal-genome_5619_600x450.jpg

Brian Handwerk
for National Geographic News
Published November 25, 2011

Neanderthals may have been victims of love, or at least of interspecies breeding with modern humans, according to a new study.

(Related: "Neanderthals, Humans Interbred—First Solid DNA Evidence.")

As the heavy-browed species ventured farther and farther to cope with climate change, they increasingly mated with our own species, giving rise to mixed-species humans, researchers suggest.

Over generations of genetic mixing, the Neanderthal genome would have dissolved, absorbed into the Homo sapiens population, which was much larger. (Get the basics on genetics.)

"If you increase the mobility of the groups in the places where they live, you end up increasing the gene flow between the two different populations, until eventually one population disappears as a clearly defined group," said study co-author C. Michael Barton, an archaeologst at Arizona State University's School of Human Evolution and Social Change.

(See "Neanderthals Ranged Much Farther East Than Thought.")

Doing What Comes Naturally

Some theories suggest Neanderthals disappeared about 30,000 years ago because the species wasn't able to adapt to a cooling world as well as Homo sapiens. (See a prehistoric time line.)

Barton tells a different tale, suggesting that Neanderthals reacted to the onset of the Ice Age the same ways modern humans did, by ranging farther for food and other resources.

"As glaciation increased, there was likely less diversity in land use, so Neanderthals and modern humans alike focused on a particular survival strategy that we still see today at high latitudes," Barton said.

"They establish a home base and send out foraging parties to bring back resources. People move farther and have more opportunity to come into contact with other groups at greater distances. The archaeological record suggests that this became more and more common in Eurasia as we move toward full glaciation."

More frequent contact led to more frequent mating, the theory goes, as the two groups were forced to share the same dwindling resources.

"Other things might have happened," Barton said. "But in science we try to find the simplest explanation for things. This theory doesn't include massive migrations or invasions—just people doing what they normally do."

To estimate the effects of the assumed uptick in interspecies mating, Barton's team conducted a computational modeling study that spanned 1,500 Neanderthal generations.

In the end, the model results supported the not entirely new idea that Neanderthals were "genetically swamped" by modern humans.

(Related: "Neanderthals Made Last Stand at Subarctic Outpost?")

"Extinction by Hybridization"

Though it's a relative underdog among Neanderthal-demise theories, genetic swamping is a well-known extinction cause among plant and animal species.

A smallish group of native, localized trout, for example, may lose their genetic identity after a large influx of a different species with which the native fish are able to breed.

"When endemic populations are specialized, and for some reason there is a change in their interaction with adjacent populations, and that interaction level goes up, they tend to go extinct—especially if one population is much smaller than the other," Barton explained.

"In conservation biology this is called extinction by hybridization."

(See pictures of a reconstructed Neanderthal and take a Neanderthals quiz.)

Men on the Hunt

Paleoanthropologist Bence Viola said other models have produced different results, and some studies have concluded that relatively little interbreeding occurred.

But Viola, of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, is intrigued by Barton's research.

"From an archaeological and anthropological perspective, this sounds interesting and closer to what I believe—that you can have a lot of interbreeding," Viola said.

"Normally the first groups who [encounter] a new population are men, hunting parties perhaps. And men, being they way they are—if they meet women from another population, there is bound to be interbreeding."

Barton believes interbreeding caused other distinct human and human-ancestor groups to fade away.

"But their genes didn't disappear," he added. "And their culture probably didn't disappear either but was blended into a larger population of hunter-gatherers."

The Max Planck Institute's Viola believes interbreeding was a cause—but not the cause.

"Neanderthals disappeared around 30,000 years ago, and that was a period when the climate turned colder, and that likely made it physically harder for them to survive," Viola said.

"They also may have been exposed to some type of disease that modern humans brought from Africa and for which they had no immunity.

"Of course these are all things that are very hard to study archaeologically," Viola added. "So these models are a great tool for investigating ideas."

The Neanderthal-interbreeding study, co-authored by researchers at Arizona State University and the University of Colorado Denver, will be published in the December issue of the journal Human Ecology.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
More frequent contact led to more frequent mating, the theory goes, as the two groups were forced to share the same dwindling resources.

"Other things might have happened," Barton said. "But in science we try to find the simplest explanation for things.

Or is it the evergreen theory of lust and beauty?

So, when Neanderthals female met a Human male.

Oohs... you are so handsome and has such a large tool... and thus they mated.

vice versa.

When a Human female met a Neanderthals male.

Yucks, you have such a ugly face and a small dick... and thus she ran away?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have read about this before and it mentiones that the only race of group of humans that don't have neanderthal genes are the black africans.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He and your sidekick Goh Meng Seng are the descendents of Homo Bullshitus, a species that spews bullshit in a 28-day cycle.

First of all, you should figure out the hierarchy correctly. GMS is the captain and I'm just a corporal. Then, you must figure out the cycle correctly. It's not fixed like calendar. It depends on when GMS goes to HK or elsewhere or when I go to Thailand or elsewhere. Sometimes coinciding and overlapping. My advice to you is the same to Scroobal. Quit this stirring shit in vain. It does nobody any good in this forum. Just speak your mind when there're serious issues that you have formed serious opinions or just join in TCSS sessions when you're free and bored. This is what this forum is for.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
First of all, you should figure out the hierarchy correctly. GMS is the captain and I'm just a corporal. Then, you must figure out the cycle correctly. It's not fixed like calendar. It depends on when GMS goes HK or when I go Thailand. Sometimes coinciding and overlapping. My advice to you is the same to Scroobal. Quit this stirring shit in vain. It does nobody any good in this forum. Just speak your mind when there're serious issues that you have formed serious opinions or just join in TCSS sessions when you're free and bored. This is what this forum is for.

You are quite warped, taking me seriously when I am talking cock, and taking me trivially when I am serious. I think you are the one fooling around here :-)

Match

Alfrescian
Loyal

Humans eradicated Neanderthal rivals thanks to early dogs bred from wolves

neanderthal-v2.jpg

Humans bred wolves to help them hunt in Europe 40,000 years ago

Ben Tufft
Sunday 01 March 2015

Humans were able to eradicate their Neanderthal rivals in Europe thanks to early dogs bred from wolves, according to a prominent American anthropologist.

Dogs were used by humans to gain a competitive edge in hunting that led to the extinction of Neanderthals on the continent 40,000 years ago, Professor Pat Shipman of Pennsylvania State University claims.

“We formed an alliance with the wolf and that would have been the end for the Neanderthal,” Prof Shipman told The Observer.

Her theory challenges the conventional academic wisdom that wolves were only domesticated a mere 10,000 years ago, coinciding with the rise of agriculture.

The professor believes that wolves were bred by humans as early as 70,000 years ago, when humans first came to Europe from Africa – leading to the domestic dogs we know today.

The theory would solve the mystery of why the dominant Neanderthals in Europe died out a few thousand years after the arrival of humans on the continent, despite having lived in the region for more than 200,000 years.

Prof Shipman argues that the alliance with the wolf, along with superior weapons and hunting skills, enabled humans to outwit their Neanderthal rivals and become the dominant species.

“Early wolf-dogs would have tracked and harassed animals like elk and bison and would have hounded them until they tired. Then humans would have killed them with spears or bows and arrows,” Prof Shipman said.

“This meant the dogs did not need to approach these large cornered animals to finish them off – often the most dangerous part of a hunt – while humans didn’t have to expend energy in tracking and wearing down prey.

“Dogs would have done that. Then we shared the meat. It was a win-win situation,” she added.

A study published last year found that modern humans and Neanderthals lived alongside each other in Europe for 4,000 years, exchanging culture and genes.

In Asia humans and Neanderthals could have lived side by side for up to 20,000 years, as anatomically modern humans colonised the continent long before reaching Europe.

The last Neanderthals in Europe are thought to have died out in modern-day Belgium, where they lived in caves as their numbers dwindled.

Most scientists believe that Neanderthals quickly died out after the arrival of homo sapiens to Europe, owing to competition for resources and possibly violent conflict.