• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best airports to sleep in | Changi

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
feel proud or not?

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/bestof.htm

For the 15th year, Singapore Changi has scored the coveted top Golden Pillow Award. Over the past year, airport sleepers have flooded our polls and once again crowned "Club Changi" as our best airport to find a good sleep.
In addition to those typical amenities that we rave about at other airports such as free WiFi, internet cafes, prayer rooms, and good eats, add these upgrades available at Changi: snooze chairs and napping areas in transit, city tours, a swimming pool and Jacuzzi, 24 hour massage and spa facilities, video games, music lounges, live bands, gardens, pay-in lounges for us poor economy passengers and free movies -- all at the airport. There really is no reason to leave Club Changi. Several contributors have raved about Singapore's Changi airport and have suggested you stay a few nights there even if you have the money for a hotel.
The thing we love about Changi is their ability to make the airport fun! From its Entertainment Deck with the Movie Theatre and XBox/Playstation consoles to the new 4-storey slide at terminal 3, being at the airport does not have to be a boring, coma-inducing experience.
Everything is not all sunshine and roses at our beloved Changi though. There have been recent reports of the terminal being too cold and construction noise at night. The Budget Terminal also continues to be a black mark on this shining star. Pack a sweater and ear plugs just in case.
"The bathrooms are awesome [and] they smell good, large space, and has couches. They have computers with free internet service for 30 mins." - deangie

"it's just like sleeping inside a mall." - airporter
Airport Services/Facilities:
Free WiFi, Free Internet Kiosks, Food-24 hours ($), Baggage Storage($), pay-in Lounges ($), Shower ($), Gym & Spa ($), Massage ($), Swimming Pool & Jacuzzi ($), Convenience Stores/Supermarkets ($), Prayer rooms, Business Centres ($), Singapore City Tour, Nature Trail (including a Butterfly Garden, Cactus Garden, Fern Garden, Koi Pond, Orchid Garden, Sunflower Garden, Fragrant Garden, Night Light Garden), airside Rest Areas with snooze chairs, Aviation Gallery, Children's Play Area, Entertainment Deck (including a Jam Studio, Lan Gaming, Music Area, MTV Booth, Movie Theatre, XBox and PlayStation consoles), The Slide @ T3 - 4 storey slide ($), Grand Prix Race Stimulators ($), Transit Hotel ($).

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to agree, once I'm stucked at transit for 10 hours, the plane keeps delaying again and again... but that 10 hours easily passed cox there are many entertainments at the transit area...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to agree, once I'm stucked at transit for 10 hours, the plane keeps delaying again and again... but that 10 hours easily passed cox there are many entertainments at the transit area...

u r transiting in SG? gong simi LOL

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I mean after clearing the custom area side lah, cb the plane keepsdelaying 2 hours, then 2 hours, in the end my 1pm flight changed to 12midnight flight, knn...

neber ask the airline to provide stewardess tp "service" u first mah, while waiting...LOL

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Changi Airport is still the best.

1. Cheap No frills Transit hotels with twin beds, towels and soap.
BKK and HKG airport transit hotels are expensive and out of the way. HKG airport transit hotel very small, mostly single rooms.

2. Food wise, all 3 airports have good food, but BKK has a lot of security hassle to overcome.

3. Getting onward boarding passes - Changi is the best.
For BKK, there are 1 on each end of the long terminal, and the signage is bad. HKG is better.

This is what Aussie business & leisure travellers find when travelling.

As for European airports, they lose out. Paris CDG, Frankfurt.

Madrid is the worst, once I check in in Terminal 1, 6 months later when I transit again at the same airport, the counters have moved to Terminal 2. But the signboards are not updated!!!

Zurich even switch off most of the lights because the shops closed down.
But checkin A380 in Zurich is good, and for short transit (< 15mins).
If you have to use Terminal 2, Avoid going in too early, the place looks like a busy bus terminal.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BKK airport, horrible waiting time to clear the custom, you need express/vip lane card to clear faster

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Changi Airport is still the best.

1. Cheap No frills Transit hotels with twin beds, towels and soap.
BKK and HKG airport transit hotels are expensive and out of the way. HKG airport transit hotel very small, mostly single rooms.

2. Food wise, all 3 airports have good food, but BKK has a lot of security hassle to overcome.

3. Getting onward boarding passes - Changi is the best.
For BKK, there are 1 on each end of the long terminal, and the signage is bad. HKG is better.

This is what Aussie business & leisure travellers find when travelling.

As for European airports, they lose out. Paris CDG, Frankfurt.

Madrid is the worst, once I check in in Terminal 1, 6 months later when I transit again at the same airport, the counters have moved to Terminal 2. But the signboards are not updated!!!

Zurich even switch off most of the lights because the shops closed down.
But checkin A380 in Zurich is good, and for short transit (< 15mins).
If you have to use Terminal 2, Avoid going in too early, the place looks like a busy bus terminal.

i dun like CDG...the lifts r slow n the signs are quite messy....if take SQ, the lift down to the transport area is quite obscure, hidden behind some pillars.

But I like the design of the Terminal .. look like flying saucer...

n getting to the terminal from the train is a long walk...:P

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to agree that Changi is the best. This is one thing Singapore got right. Free local phones and free internet PC stations, not just WIFI that's useless if you don't bring your laptop or it runs out of power. Food prices are reasonably marked up, not exhorbitant. Makes you feel worthwhile paying the airport tax.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Take the cab, the only trouble is the stop-go traffic and the driver going up the kerb to siam other drivers who refuse to give way.
I have enough trying to beat the backpackers and Romanian pickpockets on the travellator and too many steps.
when going to Gare de Nord by Metro or was that the RER.

Have to agree that Changi is the best. This is one thing Singapore got right. Free local phones and free internet PC stations, not just WIFI that's useless if you don't bring your laptop or it runs out of power. Food prices are reasonably marked up, not exhorbitant. Makes you feel worthwhile paying the airport tax.

HKG wifi is always slow due to high usage. But I was taught a trick to connect to a secondary PCCW wifi. Sorry, cannot reveal here.
I always carry an adaptor so that I can connect my laptop to an electrical outlet at the airport.

I have not tried Schiphol Airport, but I knew about Eastern European short time special service in transit. It should be one of the best airport transit. :biggrin:

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Take the cab, the only trouble is the stop-go traffic and the driver going up the kerb to siam other drivers who refuse to give way.
I have enough trying to beat the backpackers and Romanian pickpockets on the travellator and too many steps.
when going to Gare de Nord by Metro or was that the RER.

HKG wifi is always slow due to high usage. But I was taught a trick to connect to a secondary PCCW wifi. Sorry, cannot reveal here.
I always carry an adaptor so that I can connect my laptop to an electrical outlet at the airport.

cab in Paris is notoriously ex...i tried once, get caught in traffic heading into Paris.

n i took the RER once from GDN n there was a massive delay due to line fault...nearly miss my flight ...not to mention, sharing the carriage with some questionable characters...they r not ur typical ah bengs u see in Singapore, was very early in the morning...i believe after spending the night in the station, they r making their way back to whichever holes they crawl out from.

found a better way...take the Airfrance bus from Arc de Triomphe. 30 euros or so, all the way to 2E....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cab in Paris is notoriously ex...i tried once, get caught in traffic heading into Paris.

n i took the RER once from GDN n there was a massive delay due to line fault...nearly miss my flight ...not to mention, sharing the carriage with some questionable characters...they r not ur typical ah bengs u see in Singapore, was very early in the morning...i believe after spending the night in the station, they r making their way back to whichever holes they crawl out from.

found a better way...take the Airfrance bus from Arc de Triomphe. 30 euros or so, all the way to 2E....

Good. I should check if Airfrance bus depart from hotels.
Have to be careful taking Paris metro. The blacks don't like Chinese looking people. Esp in suits.

But the most expensive cabs are the ones from Tokyo.
Because the airport limo bus do not do hotel pickups until 6:30am, once I still have to take a cab to to the T-CAT airport bus terminal, then change to early airport bus to go Narita. This is in order to arrive in HK for conference. Otherwise, do not have to go thru this type of hassle.

But now, the alternative is to use the Old Tokyo International Airport rather than Narita. Nearer and more convenient. The domestic airport is re-opened for international flights.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good. I should check if Airfrance bus depart from hotels.
Have to be careful taking Paris metro. The blacks don't like Chinese looking people. Esp in suits.

But the most expensive cabs are the ones from Tokyo.
Because the airport limo bus do not do hotel pickups until 6:30am, once I still have to take a cab to to the T-CAT airport bus terminal, then change to early airport bus to go Narita. This is in order to arrive in HK for conference. Otherwise, do not have to go thru this type of hassle.

But now, the alternative is to use the Old Tokyo International Airport rather than Narita. Nearer and more convenient. The domestic airport is re-opened for international flights.

true...in terms of cab rides ... i find it amazing that despite the higher cost of living, HK cab rides from HK to city not so ex...the last one i took, the cab driver have 6 mobile phones in this cab, all standby and ready to link up with various kah kees plying everywhere in HK to provide seamless backup / network to ensure full coverage...

sorry digress abit ...but I am amazed at this type of impromptu cooperation.

==

yup, taxi in Tokyo is strict no no...LOL...i took also the airport bus the last time from hotel to Narita. around 30 bucks SG i think...straight from the hotel ... LOL...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll give credit when it's due. Though I've never had the chance to sleep there, Changi airport is heads and shoulders above many other airports I've travelled to. The cab queue, for instance, is well designed and efficient.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun like CDG...the lifts r slow n the signs are quite messy....if take SQ, the lift down to the transport area is quite obscure, hidden behind some pillars.

But I like the design of the Terminal .. look like flying saucer...

CDG and Heathrow cmi. A disgrace considering the global status of their cities.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah...remember those good old days when students used Changi Airport as study and chit chat centre. Bus ride was "free" under the old student bus pass with monthly stamp. My favourite bus was 390 from Beach Road. Straight up Benjamin Sheares Bridge all the way through ECP to Changi Airport in less than half an hour. Then, there was only one terminal. It's amazing that today with three terminals and a budget terminal, the old Terminal 1 still looks as sparkling new as the others.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll give credit when it's due. Though I've never had the chance to sleep there, Changi airport is heads and shoulders above many other airports I've travelled to. The cab queue, for instance, is well designed and efficient.

another worth noting - the immigration queue is never like BKK or HK...always fast & min. waiting...i am not talking about the auto gates...the queue through the immigration officers.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah...remember those good old days when students used Changi Airport as study and chit chat centre. Bus ride was "free" under the old student bus pass with monthly stamp. My favourite bus was 390 from Beach Road. Straight up Benjamin Sheares Bridge all the way through ECP to Changi Airport in less than half an hour. Then, there was only one terminal. It's amazing that today with three terminals and a budget terminal, the old Terminal 1 still looks as sparkling new as the others.

thks to constant upgrading & retrofitting...think they are retrofitting T2 now....

and i heard, T3 is already filling up before its actual use..to extent SIA has to use both T2 and T3 for their flights.

and plans are up for T4.

Last edited:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You ppl are harping praises on a place that is used as am impression setter for FTs and travellers.

For ordinary Sinkie like yourself, you have to slough till way past 65 , pay taxes and more taxes to the Papies to 'decorate the airport', withhold your CPF for them to invest and make money for themselves and worse only have a HDB pigeon hole to return to when you land back in Sinkland.:biggrin: