• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman charged $700 for taxi ride

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Woman charged $700 for taxi ride
Shin Min Daily News - 2 hrs 30 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg

A woman recently discovered that she was charged more than $700 for a taxi ride.

Mdm Lin (53, cashier) called Shin Min Daily News after she discovered a receipt in her purse that stated a charge of $710.30 for a taxi ride. Lin had taken a taxi last Saturday at about 4pm to Sentosa from her home in Pasir Ris. She did not have enough cash with her at the time to pay for the $16.80 fare and decided to pay with the NETS service.

The driver managed to get his NETS machine to work on his second try and Lin keyed in her PIN number without checking the amount stated. In a hurry to get to work, Lin also did not check the receipt she was given before stuffing it into her purse. Two days later, she discovered the receipt and was shocked by the amount stated.

Lin immediately checked her bank account and found that $710.30 had indeed been deducted. She called the taxi company about it but did not receive a reply until she lodged a complaint with the police and Land Transport Authority (LTA).

When she heard back from the taxi company, it told her that it did not receive a receipt for a payment of $700. The company even callously remarked that payments of $700 are commonplace.

Lin said, "After I feedback to LTA about this, the company called me again and said that the taxi driver concerned has refunded the sum. They asked me to withdraw my complaint and asked for my bank account number so they can return the sum to me".

Lin refuses to withdraw her complaint as she is unhappy with how the company handled the case. She also felt that the company had been biased towards the cabby. She now leaves LTA to follow through with the matter and urges the public to be more cautious when making electronic payments.

Source: Shin Min Daily News, 3 September 2011.