• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Factors in Tan Kin Lian's election loss

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.insing.com/tabloid/factors-in-tan-kin-lian-s-election-loss/id-0c913e00

Factors in Tan Kin Lian's election loss

inSing.com - 1 hr 5 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg

Shortly after presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian conceded defeat in the election, he put up a survey on his blog to ask netizens for feedback on his campaign.

Tan's survey has since received more than 100 responses and he has since closed it.

After looking through the survey results, Tan has put up a list of positive and negative points in his campaign.

The negative points include his habitual excessive blinking, as well as his hi-five greeting which was deemed unsuitable for adults. He adds that handshakes are better.

His pronunciation of English was highlighted as another factor.

Netizens also said he should not have touched on the weaknesses of other candidates in his TV broadcast on the eve of Polling Day, instead he should have focused on his own strengths.

He should also not have attacked fellow candidate Tan Jee Say by saying that the latter entering the contest was a low point and a blow for him.

Finally, netizens said that Tan had over-promised in his campaign. Tan had earlier suggested that the pay of national servicemen should be increased and pensions should be introduced for those aged above 75.

Tan also blamed his poor showing on a survey by the popular Yahoo website. An earlier survey on the website had put Tan as the weakest among the four candidates with just 5% of support. Tan believes that this is a major factor that contributed to his loss as the survey had created the impression that he was the weakest candidate. He believes that this had caused many voters to change camps to back more popular candidates.

In the same survey, netizens also commented on Tan's positive points. These include his sincerity, his concern for others, his focus on public service, good ideas from him and that he was the only candidate who can speak in four languages.

Tan Kin Lian had the worst showing in this election, garnering only 4.9% of the vote-share. He also lost his $48,000 election deposit as his vote-share was below the mandated 12.5% necessary to have the deposit returned.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TKL looks like a lau tiko. how to represent the country?

Some people should just accept their short comings -- 勉强是不会幸福的

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those factors a very minor issues.
Indonesia elected a blind man who twitch his nose constantly.
Language is also not a issue. As long as one can say fuck you LKY, then the english is up to scratch.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes learning from mistake is good. he can try again 4 years later? right? Lose one time 48k to gain 4 millions a month, well worth it to try, there is no shame in trying. I salute him.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes learning from mistake is good. he can try again 4 years later? right? Lose one time 48k to gain 4 millions a month, well worth it to try, there is no shame in trying. I salute him.
quite true. any investor or even gambler can see that's a damn good bet.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to dislike him from the NTUC Income Days especially that plastic smile. This PE however reveals him to be a rather simple, politically naive and humble man... not the evil guy i thought he was. Reminds me of Ho Peng Kee and Lee Yock Suan - they look arrogant but when they opened their mouth to speak it wasn't so bad (just to make the point looks can be deceiving, i know they are not the same)

Last edited:
Z

Zombie

I agree and I wonder where is this GMS, kind of surprise he is not here to defence the high 5....

dun worry... GMS is not the type that will give up... in fact, he does not know how... :biggrin:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fMRMq9mLPZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY was absolutely correct not to appoint him as one of PAP's MP.

TKL should learn to juggle and put on a clown suit instead.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those factors a very minor issues.
Indonesia elected a blind man who twitch his nose constantly.
Language is also not a issue. As long as one can say fuck you LKY, then the english is up to scratch.

In the land of the blind..... the country is a mess!

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY was absolutely correct not to appoint him as one of PAP's MP.

TKL should learn to juggle and put on a clown suit instead.

When one is first acquainted with TKL, he comes across as being santimonious. Over time, his actions belie what he preaches. Also, he has an immense capacity for self-delusion under the guise of "positivity". His penchant for self-promotion comes across as being arrogant and abrasive. TKL lacks political savvy and has stepped on too many toes.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

For TKL, if he puts the $48k into a Toto Mega Draw, he gets a better chance of winning the Jackpot than winning the PE. But then there are so many irrational voters out there. In a two-horse race, he may even stand a chance.