• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AngMoh: PAPee, Stop LYING!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Home > ST Forum > Story
</TR>
<!-- headline one : start --><TR>Swede quality of life 10 min
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Ms Heng Siew Cheng's letter, 'Why one couple is resettling in Sweden'', (July 17) and the replies by Singapore Senior Minister of State for Finance and Transport, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua (July 22), and 'Where else can you buy your home in 5 years?'' by Mr Peter Wadeley (July 24) My Singaporean wife moved to Sweden in 2001. She gave birth to our first child, a boy, last November. We are now on holiday, extending our first flush of joy of parenting in Singapore with my wife's family.
My wife, a teacher, is on a year's maternity leave. I am on paternity leave for 45 days here. When I return home, I shall still be on paternity leave for three more months. The generous duration of our parental leave is mandated by the state. Mr Wadeley implies that Singaporeans can buy a home in five years. I disagree. Last year, the median household income was $4,870. Even with grants, an average family cannot pay off a flat that quickly. It is also unachievable for Ms Heng and her Swedish husband, even if their collective income barely breaches the HDB's $8,000 bar.
Mrs Lim's comparison is incomplete. Nine in 10 Singaporeans merely lease their homes (HDB flats are typically 99-year leaseholds). Freehold ownership is higher in Sweden: Forty per cent live in landed property, 20 per cent in freehold condos and 40 per cent in rental flats. Swedish rental flats are akin to HDB flats. The main differences are that there is no downpayment, and the rental contract does not expire.
It is true, as Mrs Lim says, that Swedes spend 13 per cent of their income on housing. But for the money, half of us have our own garden - and precious time - to play with our children.
She suggests it is less expensive to raise children here. It is true that consumer goods are cheaper here and Singapore ranks third globally in per capita GDP (purchasing power adjusted) and Sweden 12th, according to the World Bank. But as more of Singapore's GDP comprises imports and exports, the statistic does not reveal the extent of benefit to its citizens.
The World Bank uses Household Final Consumption Expenditure (HFCE) as an affordability benchmark. Including goods and services provided by the government, it tells how much one has for useful spending, either directly or through tax. Sweden's HFCE per capita, in 2005 figures, is US$30,000, (S$42,000) double Singapore's US$14,000.
Ms Heng is concerned about raising children here. Having lived in both countries, I agree. The United Nations' Human Development Index, based on 350 indicators, tracks 'a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living'. Sweden ranks sixth worldwide, while Singapore trails at 25th.
I am not advocating the adoption of Sweden's welfare system wholesale. But, if Singapore adopts a tiny part, giving parents flexibility and cheaper childcare, it probably means a tax hike of just a few per cent.
I would like to extend a warm welcome to Ms Heng to Sweden. Jan Sundström

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The World Bank uses Household Final Consumption Expenditure (HFCE) as an affordability benchmark. Including goods and services provided by the government, it tells how much one has for useful spending, either directly or through tax. Sweden's HFCE per capita, in 2005 figures, is US$30,000, (S$42,000) double Singapore's US$14,000.
Ms Heng is concerned about raising children here. Having lived in both countries, I agree. The United Nations' Human Development Index, based on 350 indicators, tracks 'a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living'. Sweden ranks sixth worldwide, while Singapore trails at 25th.
I am not advocating the adoption of Sweden's welfare system wholesale. But, if Singapore adopts a tiny part, giving parents flexibility and cheaper childcare, it probably means a tax hike of just a few per cent.
I would like to extend a warm welcome to Ms Heng to Sweden. Jan Sundström

This is called Telling the Truth.

Hiding behind the truth of a huge GDP figures and shout it out loud to the world is a very sinkie behavior.

Last edited:

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good post.

Shit shit and SGTraffic care to comment?

If not, more Sporean are moving on......

wallace

Alfrescian
Loyal
But, if Singapore adopts a tiny part, giving parents flexibility and cheaper childcare, it probably means a tax hike of just a few per cent.

That is never going to happen and in fact those perks that are in place are being withdrawn. Just look at what are they doing to the poly staff 42 days leave and you know, this is sick...:mad:

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah cheng, ah Lim and peter should do their homework before they spew bollards.

from here, you can see how the fucking 66.6% are bamboozled to even sacrifice their CPF money form HDB pigeon holes.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is never going to happen and in fact those perks that are in place are being withdrawn. Just look at what are they doing to the poly staff 42 days leave and you know, this is sick...:mad:

The govt should first amend the Employment Act to change the 7 days annual leave to 14 days. There are still companies which are providing only 7 days annual leave.

jerry

Alfrescian
Loyal
The govt should first amend the Employment Act to change the 7 days annual leave to 14 days. There are still companies which are providing only 7 days annual leave.

I cannot imagine any person would want to work for such a company. Must be those FTs doing jobs like cleaner etc.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot imagine any person would want to work for such a company. Must be those FTs doing jobs like cleaner etc.

not everyone has choices like us. there are a lot of losers out there. sometimes when u talk to them, u know their problems and realise that you really cannot help them

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

These are mostly local SMEs but there are also small Japanese companies providing only the minimum 7 days AL. Locals working in these companies are usually not so qualified and also new foreigners just arrive in S'pore hoping to get their PRs later on.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Expect the sgp newspaper group to start comparing position 25 to swaziland... haha

And the so-callled talented pap member can sprout nonsense just like that and get away with it...

beng [the original]

Last edited:

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many years ago, I travelled to KL by coach. I saw, what I believe to be, abandoned public housing for the poor.

They were landed properties with no neighbours on top and below; only on the left and right. There were front and back yards where one might grow vegetables and maybe rear a few chickens.

Singaporeans are like frogs in wells, treating their pigeon holes like castles and believing they are better off than others.