• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

American media

C

clinton888

American media
Pehong Chen

Like music, sports is an international language. Unfortunately, NBC's broadcasts of the Olympics are likely to be heavily accented in American English.

ESPN regularly broadcasts major pingpong matches in Asia, but never in the U.S. market. And it's almost certain that NBC will beam home only games dominated by American athletes. Why? Because U.S. media deem American viewers to be interested only in American content.

A superpower's self-confidence eventually evolves into self-centeredness. Such self-centeredness has gotten the United States into trouble - Iraq being the latest example. There is a lot to learn from superpowers before us, including China. After the fall of the Roman Empire, China became the world's wealthiest nation for more than 1,000 years, until the Industrial Revolution. Calling itself the "Middle Kingdom," China considered itself the center of the world. That self-absorption set China behind for nearly two centuries.

After 30 years of economic reform, China is on the rise again. It has embraced the world and is graciously welcoming the world to embrace it through the Beijing Olympic Games. The West has so much to gain in treating China as equal partners through mutual understanding - what better opportunity than a platform like the Olympics.

True sports fans applaud excellent performances by any athlete, whether Kobe Bryant or Wang Nan. Who? Wang is a lefty female world pingpong champion. But I am afraid we won't see much of her on NBC. This is why I've come to Beijing for the Games - because I am a true sports fan.