• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Transport operators to press for fare hikes

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Transport operators to press for fare hikes

By Christopher Tan

TRANSPORT operators SBS Transit and SMRT Corp are submitting applications for fare hikes later on Friday, but insiders are not holding their breath for any measurable rise.

This is because the Public Transport Council (PTC) declared last month that fare adjustments this year were likely to be far smaller than last year's average 1.8 per cent increase.

PTC chairman Gerard Ee has said that keeping the rise 'below one per cent' was a distinct possibility.

This, in part, has to do with a 'redistribution' of fares, when commuters who make transfers during their journeys will pay less than they do today.

For the past several years, those who make transfers, for example, from train to bus or bus to train, or bus to bus, end up paying substantially more than those who take a direct service to their destination - even if the distances of both journeys are the same.

The Government has decided that fares should be purely distance-based. With this, those who need to make transfers will pay less when the new fares kick in on Oct 1.

But those who enjoy direct services are likely to foot the bulk of the fare adjustment.

Four in 10 commuters today make at least one transfer a day. While their journeys involving transfers will cost less from October, they are likely to pay more for other trips.

As before, the fare adjustment is likely to hit commuters who pay in cash hardest.

But on the whole, the PTC has committed to keeping the average fare hike to one per cent or less.

And below a complaint... I agree with him. Frequency of some buses had actually worsen... No seat...Guarantee! U had 2 Tks God if u can even manage 2 get up the bus... New bus oso bery bad 4 old folks... So many steps at bus rear... Narrow walkway... Half of bus front is seatless... Cloth handle is make so high up lots of ladies having problem holding on to them... Oni plus is having LED bus no. sign... Once again jus an expensive nice 2 look at no goot to use vase...

i wrote to SBS Transit on 2nd of July and reported an incident when my parents (both in their 60s) had to wait for a feeder bus service (240), for a good 40 mins before one arrived. I had an auto reply that my feedback will be looked into. On 10th of July, after hearing nothing from them, I wrote again. Got another auto reply which stated that my feedback will be looked into again. I decided to write to them again on 29th July PLUS a call to their call centre. This time round, i was told by the call centre service staff that one of her colleagues was on the verge of replying to me. Until today, nothing is heard out yet.

To provide such service standard, I am surprised that they are still pressing for fare hikes!

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are basically at the mercy of the bureaucrats and corporations like SBS and SMRT.

In the west, people can protests against any unreasonable hikes.

That's why Singaporeans are flocking away.

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro jake is absolute right.
the only way to beat all these,is to buy a bicycle and cycle to everywhere that we go.

taxi fare hikes,now public transport fare hikes and the reason is always the same,fuel prices rising,operation/maintenance/wages increases.

but when the fuel prices drop or during the economic downturns - wages freeze or cuts,i do not see them decrease the prices. :mad:

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's very typical of our system here. Prices can go up, their wages can also go up. But when times are tough, nothing comes down except our morale.

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's very typical of our system here. Prices can go up, their wages can also go up. But when times are tough, nothing comes down except our morale.

You left out our purchasing power! :biggrin: Now excuse me while I curl up at a corner and cry :(

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cycling is good, exercise at the same time. Recommended for short distances though. With higher fares, we might ended up like china.

acer3939

Alfrescian
Loyal
To provide such service standard, I am surprised that they are still pressing for fare hikes!

You not happy ha? then walk lah keke. next they say pay too high for drivers liao must employ FT 'aka china man ' bus driver, taxi driver, mrt driver, lrt driver, 'oooooooops lrt no driver leh' keke:biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You not happy ha? then walk lah keke. next they say pay too high for drivers liao must employ FT 'aka china man ' bus driver, taxi driver, mrt driver, lrt driver, 'oooooooops lrt no driver leh' keke:biggrin:

NNH u tink walk foc izit? :mad: If dun use goot shoe hor, feet injury medical bill gonna cost u 10x the price of deh shoe...:(:biggrin::p

TN749_9247M.jpg

slurpoyster

Alfrescian
Loyal
SMRTQ1Profitrose.jpg

big and mighty SMRT is making more profit and still has the cheek to demand more :mad:, while small private bus operators requests was turned down.

eat S**T

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
when transport service was partialy garmen control, prices also not too high. privatise liao, suka suka raise price. they say 4 in 10 can pay less, but y they don't say 6 in 10 pay more, so that 4 in 10 can pay less? save ink is it?

to me, i think is pay more for less. now bus driver more n more is FT. u go up bus, the face black black like somebody own him $. they think bus lane is special lane, suka suka drive fast. then swing into bus lane maciam initial-D.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
more public transport vehicles on the rd = need for more drivers to operate vehicles. while they all compete to fetch their own share of the bacon, each gets a thinner slice, each time another driver is added on the rd. naturally they'd raise fares, so to better feed their drivers.

while in hindsight, we need to ask ourselves if; by adding more vehicles to the already congested rds will make any difference, or do any good. more buses on the rds, buslanes occupied, making filter lanes or turning lanes, less accessible to other rd users. while turning vehicles take turns to filter on bus intervals.... 2 lanes would easily slow down. remaining perhaps only the overtaking lane available to normal traffic.

from the looks of things, their solutions r flawed.