• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is Melamine?

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will you be more cautious on what you eat from now on?

Reading labels, where its made or packaged, what ingredient it contains (hoping those are true).

How in the world will we know that something like Melamine is in our food or they are safe to eat? Many Sinkies have the mentality that "somebody" is checking and making sure food we consume here is safe.

I guess we are just lucky someone out there whistle-blow and spread this Melamine issue, if not Im still drinking my Dutch Lady or eating my rabbit sweet.

Melamine is a white, odorless, crystalline N-heterocyclic organic base which is commonly used in paint, building materials, paper-making and textile industries. Melamine boards/paper and dinnerware are made from thermoplastic melamine. In some countries in Asia, it is also used to make pesticides and plant fertilizers.

The FDA (US) has discovered that the pet food manufacturers and material providers in China have added more melamine to pet food materials such as wheat glutens and rice glutens and then claimed their pet food products containing higher proteins. However, melamine, predominately from petrochemical industries, is high in nitrogen. Human body does not digest or break down melamine. If it is ingested in great amount, it may cause serious renal problems and may be lethal.

Melamine is actually a raw material for industrial use. The US has banned the use of melamine in human and animal food products. FDA claimed that there is no direct evidence to prove the connection of renal problems and ingestion of potentially contaminated chicken or pork. However, this does not put consumers at ease when it comes to the use of soybean or wheat gluten in food safety and the health concerns. The banning of melamine use in food products is still valid. FDA (US) has started the inspection of manufacturers’ production equipments and protein ingredients. I-Mei Foods Co. Ltd. follows rigorous ISO 9001 and GMP standards to manufacture soybean protein product line (i.e. imitation meat products for vegetarians). This provides consumers quality food and rid of food safety worries.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting facts. You're also probably aware melamine is the stuff your plastic bowls and plates are made of..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting facts. You're also probably aware melamine is the stuff your plastic bowls and plates are made of..

No wonder the chinese mei mei's breast so full...full of melamine!...I thought it was a girl's name.:biggrin:

The Chinese is killing everybody from food to the air, now outside the earth too, with their substitue products. Who knows, their space crafts, maybe using non-approved materials & propellants!:p

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's easy!

Melamine is the stuff factories in China put into mummum for people and pets to mummum.

And it ain't bad stuff, 1.3 billion people can't be wrong!

Cheers!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
totally harmless against adult

keep eating PRC chinese food

it is safe

protein are good for you

for baby? well, that is another story all together

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
melamine is a common name for material or ingredient used to make thermoplastics - they come in form as: some appliance insulation or handles, some electrical appliance, some electrical types of sockets.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Safe to eat' ads cause confusion

Tue, Sep 30, 2008
The Straits Times

EAGER to reassure consumers wary of food containing dairy products from China, major food manufacturers have come out to say their snacks are safe to eat.

On Saturday, both Kraft and Wall's took out advertisements in major newspapers, including The Straits Times, to reassure customers that their products do not contain milk or dairy ingredients from China.

But their clarifications only created more confusion, as consumers felt their claims contradicted actions taken by supermarkets and the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA). The advertisements had prompted a flurry of letters and e-mail messages from confused consumers questioning the truth of their claims and the AVA's directive.

So Who is right? Can or cannot eat?:confused:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before Melamine news. Even if the is Malemine word/printed on the food product, I will also not know what it is. I might think that is some kind or protien/vitamin that is good for health.
I guess many will think like me too.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before Melamine news. Even if the is Malemine word/printed on the food product, I will also not know what it is. I might think that is some kind or protien/vitamin that is good for health.
I guess many will think like me too.

Bro, except for medication, try to avoid ingesting anything ending with -amines :smile: