• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Chee Siok Chin I know, then and now

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSC&JG.JPG

Jaslyn (left), Jo-elle (centre) and Siok Chin

I first met Siok Chin at SDP's annual dinner in 2007. That was also my first encounter with Dr Chee Soon Juan.

When I saw this supposed "feisty lady" in person, she gave me a very different impression as compared to her public persona portrayed by our local media. She struck me as rather personable and humorous, certainly not the kind of “siao char bo” (mad woman) some people describe her to be.

A friend who stays in Woodlands told me that she did not vote for the SDP in the last elections because she was afraid that the parliament would turn into a circus if its candidates got in. Though I did not agree with her comment, I could not fault her because at that time that was my opinion of the SDP as well.

As I mentioned in my earlier blog posting, my friendship with Siok Chin started to develop after the World Consumer Rights' Day/Tak Boleh Tahan! protest on March 15 this year where 12 protesters were arrested and brought to the Cantonment Police Complex.

Siok Chin was the first person I bailed out that night. I was later charged as well and because of that, we kept in touch through emails, phone calls and meeting up in person.

I came to realise that Siok Chin and I have a lot in common: We are both left-handed, we both love chocolates, and we both possess a wry sense of humour.

We worked together on the recent Democrats Go Hawaiian dinner and even though it was hard work, we rather enjoyed ourselves. Even when the manager of the originally venue cancelled our booking at the last minute, it did not dampen our mood. We just went on a search for another venue.

We were meeting like every other day, sometimes from morning till evening. Siok Chin even accompanied me to pick up my kids and sent them home before continuing with our chores.

That was when she visited my home. My dad, who was all along against me getting too close to SDP members, met her for the first tme. Siok Chin was the ever respectful type, greeting my dad warmly with “Hi Uncle.”

The next day my mom (who was won over by Mrs Chee and Siok Chin when I took her to the first Tak Boleh Tahan! campaign in Toa Payoh) called to tell me my dad told her he met Siok Chin and she came across as a nice lady and not what he read from the newspapers.

Of course, some supporters like to describe Siok Chin as an iron lady. But behind this iron lady’s mask, there is the gentle side of Siok Chin. For one thing, she truly loves kids. She makes it a point to know my children's names, and chat and play with them. And she never fails to prepare sweets and chocolates whenever she knows she is going to see them. My children, especially my daughter has taken to her, affectionately calling her “Aunty Siok Chin”.

Once my little gal called me while I was out with Siok Chin and wanted to come along. She insisted that I came home to take her out for a “girls' outing” with her Aunty Siok Chin.

We had a good time shopping for stuff for the Hawaiian-themed party and realised that we have one more thing in common – we were both good bargainers. Notwithstanding the need to count pennies, Siok Chin made every effort to ensure the guests got the best out of the $25-dinner ticket.

I did ask Siok Chin and other members why not charge more as I believed that people would be willing to pay more to support the event. They told me that times are bad, and that they wanted to do something to show their appreciation to these supporters.

Siok Chin is one lady with strong convictions. The sacrifices she has made for her beliefs - from being jailed to being made a bankrupt and not given permission to travel – is admirable.

The way she handled the officials from the Media Development Authority at the screening of One Nation Under Lee, the only protester who kept her Tak Boleh Tahan t-shirt after being arrested, and questioning Lee Kuan Yew and Lee Hsien Loong, shows an individual of substance.

She is a good friend whom you can rely on, a sister you can share silly jokes with, and a good role model that I hope I can keep up with. She is an inspiration.

Keep up the good work, Siok Chin.

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
HI all..

I notice a shit stirrer c n p my article in this forum..

Might as well I do a proper one with the appropriate title.. :-)

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee and Co. have no policies what so ever.

That's not the point here, dude. The point of this article is about the human aspect of individuals that we may not know because we, unlike the writer, don't have a individual friendship with the subject person.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, fair point. PAP and ST/Mediacorp have tried to do the same first with LKY and wife Kwa Geok Choo when they were filmed back in Cambridge and reminiscing about their college days and romance 60 years ago and then the perceived artificial family potrait of LHL, Ho Ching and 2 sons together when LHL first became PM (wonder what happened to his 2 elder children?:confused:) and the famous saka curry puff piece on LHL by ST's #1 LKY/PAP apologist Chua Lee Hoong:biggrin:

That's not the point here, dude. The point of this article is about the human aspect of individuals that we may not know because we, unlike the writer, don't have a individual friendship with the subject person.

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was what I wrote in the SDP website which was greyed out by the SDP's thumbs up thumbs down function:

"If you got to know any of the PAP MPs personally, they are also not the money grubbing and power hungry people portrayed by netizens or even SDP news. A lot of them are nice and friendly people. Will anyone change their perception of PAP because of that?"

I don't know what's so offensive about what I wrote. The truth is most PAP MPs if you visit them at their Meet the People's Sessions, are nice.

Jaslyn Go's anecdote on Chee Siok Chin lends a good perspective of the person behind the persona. But seriously - I never thought of Ms Chee as a "Siao Cha Bo", even many times I disagree with SDP.

So what if you try to correct the perception? A nice image is only going to go so far in politics. And may I add that if the SDP is trying to debunk the perception that their leaders are "Siao", it may mean they are aware that this perception exists and their actions (or the PAP actions) have caused it. This is the price they pay for taking this course.

A

Alu862

It is a biased article that cannot win any support. Only strong policies can lead to a wide support. That is the crux of a political party which the SDP clearly is trying not o be.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I'm paid as well as and given side privileges like the PAP MPs, hell, I'll be nice to some of the people here whom I find outrightly distasteful. If some are calling for the cessation of disparagement against the PAP MPs, the same courtesy should be extended to the opposition as well.

Last edited:

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what if you try to correct the perception? A nice image is only going to go so far in politics. And may I add that if the SDP is trying to debunk the perception that their leaders are "Siao", it may mean they are aware that this perception exists and their actions (or the PAP actions) have caused it. This is the price they pay for taking this course.

Hi Wisely..

Thanks for taking the time to comment on SDP's website..

Pls allow me to explain my intention when I wrote the article about CSC...

What inspire me to write a article about CSC was when I received a picture of both of us taken during SDP's Hawaiian dinner by one of our friend..

It was nothing more than a sincere write up on what I feel about her before and after I got to know her better..Never my intentions to change anyone perception of her / SDP, nor help her / them win votes..I don't think I am that capable to be able to achieve that..

I,at best, hope that readers read with a open mind and see the other side of CSC which many might not have known.

This is not the first time I wrote about someone whom I feel strongly about..I wrote 2 articles on my Gynea after his demise..I guess I am the sort who bothers to put my thoughts into writing.. :-)

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what if you try to correct the perception? A nice image is only going to go so far in politics.

PAP MPs? R u so blind that you cannot see that they have the power in parliament to do something to help sgreans whereas SDP does not? Power like voting against the increase in GST? Power like demanding for anti-discrimination law. Did they do anything other than voting for their party?

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I'm paid as well as and given side priviledges like the PAP MPs, hell, I'll be nice to some of the people here whom I find outrightly distasteful. If some are calling for the cessation of disparagement against the PAP MPs, the same courtesy should be extended to the opposition as well.

I got to know my former MP (from PAP) when I went to see him several times over some personal problems. A very nice chap who helped me all the way. After the issue blew over, he invited me to join his branch but I gave some excuses and refused. Last year, I bumped into him. He's no longer an MP but is still nice. There's no linkage between being nice and being a money grubber but I can't say the same for all PAP MPs.

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wisely..

Thanks for taking the time to comment on SDP's website..

Pls allow me to explain my intention when I wrote the article about CSC...

What inspire me to write a article about CSC was when I received a picture of both of us taken during SDP's Hawaiian dinner by one of our friend..

It was nothing more than a sincere write up on what I feel about her before and after I got to know her better..Never my intentions to change anyone perception of her / SDP, nor help her / them win votes..I don't think I am that capable to be able to achieve that..

I,at best, hope that readers read with a open mind and see the other side of CSC which many might not have known.

This is not the first time I wrote about someone whom I feel strongly about..I wrote 2 articles on my Gynea after his demise..I guess I am the sort who bothers to put my thoughts into writing.. :-)

Thanks for elaborating. It was a good piece. I have no doubts that Siok Chin is in politics not for personal gain. But I doubt that can carry the SDP far. It is not a party that appeals to me and my friends. Unlike you guys in the opposition, many are not adverse to voting for PAP. I am in 2 minds on whether to spoil my vote or give my vote to any opposition candidate. Although I don't like what I see in the SDP or the comments it gives to other opposition partoes.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for elaborating. It was a good piece. I have no doubts that Siok Chin is in politics not for personal gain. But I doubt that can carry the SDP far. It is not a party that appeals to me and my friends. Unlike you guys in the opposition, many are not adverse to voting for PAP. I am in 2 minds on whether to spoil my vote or give my vote to any opposition candidate. Although I don't like what I see in the SDP or the comments it gives to other opposition partoes.

Your single vote is the tool to create the future you want for yourself and those you love.

If you feel that the PAP under the current leadership can give you such a future, then vote for them.

If you feel that they can't and neither can the opposition, then you need to weigh your vote both ways.
Perhaps if you vote in the opposition, this will encourage more responsible opposition leaders in the next election? Perhaps this may send an effective signal to the PAP?

Or you may choose to vote PAP and send a signal to them that they are doing the right job?

Or you may spoil your vote and send a signal to them that you hope they can do better. You might also consider if all the spoilt votes of the past elections had helped them to be better.
Whatever you vote, it will impact yourself and those you love.

Perhaps the opposition upon reading your words may know that your stand is a common position taken by most voters, and get off their pathetic quarrels and show the PAP that they have the quality to be good and trusted leaders. It is always good when those who dislike you say that you are good.

By the way Wisely, if there is an opposition party that speaks PAP, talks PAP, but is in the opposition, will that be a preferred choice for you?
The fact that they speak and talk PAP will mean that whatever virtues you ascribed to the PAP, you will also ascribe to them. Raise gst, yes they will also do so. Raise ERP, yes they will also do so. Get in foreign investment, yes they will also do so. Invest in foreign banks, yes they will also do so. Raise their own salaries? Yes, especially that.

They will also smile the same smile, dressed in white and sing the National Anthem with the same heartfelt emotions.

And in the midst of all these virtues, they have one thing that the PAP cannot offer you - their presence in the Parliament which makes the PAP more accountable for their policies. For example if the PAP wants to raise gst to 10%, they will ask why not 9.99%? PAP will then have to justify and then you the voter will know why the 0.01% is so important.

Thus you get all the benefits, no vices.

Will you then vote for such an opposition?

Do elaborate.

Last edited:
A

Alu862

Exactly. Think about it. IT is not wrong to preach freedom and democracy (which SDP's US friends are not following). But such words do not build nations or livelihoods of peoples. the SDP has no policies in mind what so ever. Do they think toppling governments and preaching freedom is a simple way?

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your single vote is the tool to create the future you want for yourself and those you love.

If you feel that the PAP under the current leadership can give you such a future, then vote for them.

If you feel that they can't and neither can the opposition, then you need to weigh your vote both ways.
Perhaps if you vote in the opposition, this will encourage more responsible opposition leaders in the next election? Perhaps this may send an effective signal to the PAP?

Or you may choose to vote PAP and send a signal to them that they are doing the right job?

Or you may spoil your vote and send a signal to them that you hope they can do better. You might also consider if all the spoilt votes of the past elections had helped them to be better.
Whatever you vote, it will impact yourself and those you love.

Perhaps the opposition upon reading your words may know that your stand is a common position taken by most voters, and get off their pathetic quarrels and show the PAP that they have the quality to be good and trusted leaders. It is always good when those who dislike you say that you are good.

By the way Wisely, if there is an opposition party that speaks PAP, talks PAP, but is in the opposition, will that be a preferred choice for you?
The fact that they speak and talk PAP will mean that whatever virtues you ascribed to the PAP, you will also ascribe to them. Raise gst, yes they will also do so. Raise ERP, yes they will also do so. Get in foreign investment, yes they will also do so. Invest in foreign banks, yes they will also do so. Raise their own salaries? Yes, especially that.

They will also smile the same smile, dressed in white and sing the National Anthem with the same heartfelt emotions.

And in the midst of all these virtues, they have one thing that the PAP cannot offer you - their presence in the Parliament which makes the PAP more accountable for their policies. For example if the PAP wants to raise gst to 10%, they will ask why not 9.99%? PAP will then have to justify and then you the voter will know why the 0.01% is so important.

Thus you get all the benefits, no vices.

Will you then vote for such an opposition?

Do elaborate.

The PAP has provided me with what I want. I did business elsewhere and no other govt has given me the kind of safety net I needed. At the same time, they have more than enough seats to form the government and I don't like their dominance. I believe in check and balances. More opposition presence in parliament is not a bad thing. It helps them build capabilities which can make them an alternative govt in case PAP starts to become incapable.

But the best way to hold any party accountable and not do the things you said is to have a multi-party parliament. If you give WP or SDP all the seats, I am very sure the same is going to happen.

If I were to choose between PAP and opposition party that speaks exactly like PAP I might as well give my vote to PAP. They have a proven track record. But I think I will spoil my vote.

Right now I am not sure of SDP because I am very confused by the messages they send. They seem contradictory to one another. I want to give them my vote but they tell me they are not interested in winning elections. They fight the PAP in a sure-die way. They also seem to be opposing other opposition parties which I don't understand. Of course this is what I have seen from their supporters and may not be representative of them. Maybe I have to catch up on my knowledge of them. But it's too early to tell if my ward will be contested by SDP or have a walkover.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Wisely for your answer. You have thought through the matter and your vote, whichever it is, will follow your heart & mind and that is what voting is all about. You are prepared to live with the consequences of your own vote.

My purpose in giving such a question is that it cuts to the chase - what is exactly an opposition?
Most people think that they must oppose something. To say that the ruling party is bad. To offer an alternative. So if they are the same as the PAP, then they have no value.

Although one swallow does not a summer make, your reply does help me to confirm a suspicion that this is indeed the mindset of the majority.

This common conception on opposition is perhaps brought by the politics of old where you must fight against the establishment. And some of today's politicians carry the same aggressive torch.
What if the value of the opposition lies not in their opposition, their policies or aggression.

But lies instead in their ability to safeguard our future - by their presence?
Then the whole picture changes, does it not?

The future for yourself and those you love are safeguarded by the presence, not the capability, not the aggression of the opposition.
Thus if the opposition are trustworthy, responsible men who by their presence prevent abuse to the system - then does that not make sense to your business and personal prosperity?

Especially as that will enable Singapore to move into next phase of having a two-party system in perhaps 10 years time.

That will be possible because these members will build up expertise in governing, access to data that will help them to assess the PAP's usage.

It will also keep the PAP on their toes and that is a good thing in the midst of their today's virtues.

Most importantly, your safety net is made much stronger.

Last edited: