• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chicken Rice Battle

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
We already had Chicken Rice War, the movie.

Now the results of the 4 best chicken rice stalls/franchises/whatever are out.

Singapore now has the 4 Heavenly Kings of Chicken Rice.

Just to enlighten bros who do not know the results yet, they are namely (in no particular order)
1) Five Star
2) Loy Kee
3) Boon Tong Kee
4) Chatterbox (Meritus Mandarin Hotel)

Now I personally have some disagreement with the "Heavenly Kings".

So, I would like to start a CHICKEN RICE BATTLE here in SBF!!!

NOMINATE YOUR CHOICE HERE!
And if it's not too much trouble, maybe bros here could provide a reason as to why you agree/disagree with the list.

Let me start the chicken rice ball rolling!

:wink:

Last edited:

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's really difficult for a chicken rice siao like me to list a particularly favourite chicken rice stall. (Just to let you bros know how siao I can get when it comes to CHICKEN RICE - I can eat it for lunch every friggin day. Fell in love with it since 6years old)

I have a few though.

Pow Sing @Serangoon Gardens:

* Superb chilli sauce and very importantly, good ginger paste
* Very good quality large-grained rice with a marvellous aroma
* Tasty soup that is oily and heavy on chicken fragrance
* Finally good chicken meat
* Serves nonya dishes too but that is a only bonus in this comparison

Good Year Local Hainanese Chicken Rice Balls (Toa Payoh Lor 1, Blk 111)

* Fantastic chilli sauce mixed with chicken oil. I can never get enough
* Real fresh chicken is used for the steamed version, resulting in a taste of authentic steamed chicken
* Peanut soup given instead, different from the usual chicken soup
* I don't really fancy the starchy rice balls though. The normal rice feels alittle pasty.

Wee Nam Kee @Novena, opposite Novena Church

* Really fragrant rice
* Good chilli
* Opens till late, like 2am!

Hang Kee(spelling may be wrong) @ newly renovated Chinatown Market

* Honestly I have yet to try this, the last time I saw the queue I gave up the idea. But Mom n Dad-in-law swear by their version.

Stall @Alexandra Village
paiseh donno the name but it's the one with long queues lah....super oily steamed chicken, definitely for siao people like me

:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
By SikWaiSin
Samster

----------------------------------

1. Best Chicken Rice is Sin Kee but currently under renovation. Anyone knows where they are selling now.

2. Next best is Sin Kee at Margaret Drive.

Question: Is (1) and (2) related since the name of the both the stall is the same ?

3. 3rd Best is Boon Tong Kee.

I personally do not like the one at Pow Sing bcos not enough "kick"

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know what I disagree on with choice of the 4 "Heavenly Chicken Rice Kings"?

Let's see.....

1) Five Star Chicken Rice:
I have nothing much against them. They are one of my favs also. Generous portions of chicken meat have been served every time I ate there. Been to the East Coast branch and 1 of the 2 Upp Thomson Branches. Good quality yellow skinned (like Chinese lah) kampong chickens are used for the steamed version. They are not so fatty, and it's ideal for those health conscious but still wanna eat chicken rice!! And the rice is the long-grained type....my fav!

Oh yes, they have a lethal ginger paste also! One no-horse-run suggestion - mix the ginger paste with the very fragrant chicken rice, soak in a little bit of chicken soup and you'll be in heaven in T minus 3 seconds.

Only thing I don't really like is the BoonTongKee-like price for a 1-person portion...$3.80! Piangzzz..but at least it's tasty lah.

2)Loy Kee @Whampoa Market and Balestier Road
Bad service experienced at Whampoa Market branch. Knn those few Lao CBs really think they are the Boss. Cannot stand this type of bah-bai (arrogant in Cantonese) attitude. Chicken meat is sub-standard. The rest, fortunately, is forgettable. Really nothing to shout about.

3)Boon Tong Kee
This stall has ranked top of my list of favs for many a year. I had been such a big sucker for their version that I recalled driving out in the dead of the night just to buy a 1-person portion(steamed chicken), then hurried back home and eat at the kitchen counter under a dim light, not wanting to wake the others up. Hmmm don't ask me why I couldn't finish the meal there at the stall....there's just something comfy about eating alone, late at night, in a dim corner at home. And stroking my unflattering tummy afterwards...

It must be their superbly succulent steamed chicken, which they revealed to have been dunked in ice-cold water right after they are out of the steamer. This is to retain the juicy and incredibly crisp chicken skin. Oh my oh my...that's forbidden territory for alot of people I suppose.

Next, their chilli sauce easily beats the rest of the competition. Till today, even though I have vague memories of having eaten chicken rice chilli sauce of similar calibre, I couldn't recall where. BTK's (not the BTK Killer ah...but Boon Tong Kee) version of chilli sauce has successfully etched its aroma, taste, spiciness, and punch firmly in my mind although I have not visited them for quite a while. Their ginger paste though, leaves a lot of room for improvement in my opinion.

2 things I don't like about them: Pricey and no soup given. I really detest the no-soup policy. But their home-brewed barley goes pretty well with the chicken rice I must say.

4)Chatterbox @Meritus Mandarin
Er...never tried. Serious. Even though Im chicken rice siao. The sheer ridiculousness of the price puts me off already.

But I have visited the original Chatterbox chicken rice chef at his stall in Downtown East foodcourt after he left the hotel. In fact it was only a few months back that I went there.

Hmm, his version was, just to keep it simple lah, well below my expectations in every department.

So bros, you guys got any favourite chicken rice stall to recommend? Quick quick post here! By the way, who knows where the old Margaret Drive chicken rice stall has moved to ah? Heard it's dammmmmmmn powerful.

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikWaiSin:

1. Best Chicken Rice is Sin Kee but currently under renovation. Anyone knows where they are selling now.

2. Next best is Sin Kee at Margaret Drive.

Question: Is (1) and (2) related since the name of the both the stall is the same ?

3. 3rd Best is Boon Tong Kee.

I personally do not like the one at Pow Sing bcos not enough "kick"

Wah seh bro! You are a chicken rice siao also!!
*clap clap*
I was just asking about the Margaret Dr stall in the above post

Last edited:

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
By bestbest
Samster
--------------------------------

What about Big Chicken at Balmoral Plaza, Bukit Timah?

Very nice garlic (chicken) rice and also the chilli.

But not cheap.

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
By mansgp
Samster

--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbest

But not cheap.
Kampong Chicken Eating House at 247 Outram Road. Not cheap but so far reviews from those people I've brought there says it's probably the best they have tried in Singapore.

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
By antehner
Samster (M)
-----------------------------------

I had been to Hainan island over the past few years to visit my relatives. And I must say that the best chicken rice I had taste before was at there.

In Singapore I would vote for Chatterbox.

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
By tonywan
Samster
----------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster

who knows where the old Margaret Drive chicken rice stall has moved to ah? Heard it's dammmmmmmn powerful.

The Old Sin Kee at Margaret Drive has moved to Blk 159 Mei Chin Road, #02-89G Mei Chin Rd Market & Cooked Food Centre.

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
By tonywan
Samster

--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbest

But not cheap.

If you like Chilli and garlic, I suggest you go to the one at Maxwell Road, damn power:

Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice
Stall 10 Maxwell Rd Food Centre
11am to 8pm
Close on Monday

global25

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to Hainan island, the chicks there are under develop compare to our local chick.

Taste is similiar, but the meat not there, only skin and bone...:(

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal fravourite is at a coffee shop off Tanjong Katong Road next to the petrol kios. Cannot remember the name but the rice is fantastic! Too bad cannot keep rice turns gluey after a few hours. My take on the Boon Tong Kee rice is ...nothing great.

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chicken Rice actually should have categories - Best chicken rice - Steamed or Roast chicken!
I feel Wee Nam Kee is excellent in Roast Chicken Rice - their Roast Chicken runs out all the time!
For steamed chicken the one in Maxwell Road Food centre is best!

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
1) Five Star SO SO 7/10
2) Loy Kee Lousy 3/10
3) Boon Tong Kee Very long never eat liao... But not bad the last time i ate 7/10
4) Chatterbox (Meritus Mandarin Hotel) so as good as before..standard drop after Head Chef left, not worth the price..6/10

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you like Chilli and garlic, I suggest you go to the one at Maxwell Road, damn power:
Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice
Stall 10 Maxwell Rd Food Centre
11am to 8pm
Close on Monday

Agree, on sundays the Q start forming before stall ready to serve 1100.:biggrin:

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually the chef never left lah...

the downtown east guy is the cook, but they also have another cook with equally good skill. However, the chicken chopping skill is with the guy who left...

that is why now the packaging or serving style is different... but the standard of chicken rice is more or less the same... not very high up there.... but i found a new gem... the tow suan there is amazingly good!

Bangster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm since so many bros swear by Chatterbox's chicken rice....

I think I am going to be a ban-chat (cantonese for "kum-gong") go there try 1 day. But poor man like me must save up for 2 weeks to go eat.

Anyways, to Bro Yinyang, i was not the one who suggested Tian Tian @ Maxwell Rd Hawker Ctr. I was merely doing cut-n-paste from the sex forum where I initially started this thread. That was recommended by Bro tonywan.

Wah lao eh...talk and read so much about chicken rice already, even Lifestyle section in Sunday Times yesterday got this feature on this cha-bor/man who supposedly was able to whip up amazing chicken rice with a recipe passed down by her Godmother in Penang....(secret: the rice must be fried first woh...with garlic n ginger I think)

Hmmmm knn the more I type the more my stomach growls...This must be the gastronomic equivalent of typing a sex story, or reading one.

Hehe

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bangster...

want to try, better try fast... coz the prices going to go up soon...

trust me... i know the people very well.