• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious - need financial advice.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Got some cash recently and wanted to invest wisely for old age.

$200K available for investment. Kind brothers can advise the best way and the safest way to invest this for the next 10 years.

The best and safest fixed deposit. The best and safest structured products.The best bank. The safest options.

Only serious brothers with serious financial advice will be taken seriously. But can also joke lah...some gems found in jokes and jibes.

Thank you very much in advance.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
get to know someone who you can trust who is in private banking line, no doubt these banks normally cater for high networth clients but, like I say, the trusted friend can help you do wonder from your tiny sum

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got some cash recently and wanted to invest wisely for old age.

$200K available for investment. Kind brothers can advise the best way and the safest way to invest this for the next 10 years.

The best and safest fixed deposit. The best and safest structured products.The best bank. The safest options.

Only serious brothers with serious financial advice will be taken seriously. But can also joke lah...some gems found in jokes and jibes.

Thank you very much in advance.

How i wish i got 200K now... i need money for my mum & dad medical fee.... 1 is still laying in hosiptal, the other having cancer... .. :(

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to hear that Bro. Spend more time with them and I'm sure they will recover knowing that they have a good son.

How i wish i got 200K now... i need money for my mum & dad medical fee.... 1 is still laying in hosiptal, the other having cancer... .. :(

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) Invest in food industry, good or bad times, people still have to eat, BUT... your food must be good.

2) Invest in Thai Disco, lol, you wont guess how much SG guys will spend on Thai women, LOL

3) Deposit your money in foreign banks, not in SG. Which country? try Indonesia, their interest is very high and they pay you quarterly interests. Do a research on this.

4) Be an investor in loanshark syndicate? lol

Good luck :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal
the BEST option is to get into a vehicle that COMPOUNDS your money, right now $200K is considered a small sum therefore the wealth managers experienced ones) wont really give a hoot about you, after all they are only interested in commissions...

Bank deposits: Compounds your money alright, however local interest rate is way too low...for example 1.5% p.a. you will only get $3K p.a. before any other funny costs and charges...Opening an offshore deposit account in NZ or AUD should net about 3.5% after tax, of course you are open to FX fluctuation risk/gain...

Shares: Not for the faint hearted and does not compound your money, regardless of how high the dividends they pay, lots of risks and uncertainty involve esp for those who are new, higher commission than bank deposits if you are not a remisier/broker...also financial enginnering knowledge needed, esp use of warrants, options, arbitraging etc...

FX: Leverage may be a dirty word for some, but in FX, your gains and losses are paced, therefore if you lose over your limit, the bank can just take your collateral (stop loss). As with most gambling avenues, will you top up your losses an not leave the table?

Bonds/fixed income funds: Capital Returns invertly related to interest rate, IR goes up value of bond goes down and vice versa...no active, liquid or sizable bond market in SG...

Property: Too many restrictions in SG, not easy to get one overseas unless you are on one of the migration paths...again $200K only allows contra and you will be stuck with the bank loan if there are no buyers..Also most illiquid and time consuming if you are not renting it out...

Gold/Oil/commodities: As a hedge against inflation, it is quite obvious current gold prices have formed a bubble, however like FX, quite a safe investment haven as the chances of the gold market disappearing or going bankrupt overnight is very low...traded in contracts in SG...

Setting up your own business: IMHO the most practical, useful and rewarding form of investment...do it yourself do not give relatives friends or relatives your money and never see them or your money again...example due to the increasing geriatric population, it is quite economical to go buy a second hand ambulance to ferry them for appointments at hospitals...a second hand ambulance cost about $20K, no ERP, no road tax, no need to pay parking, insurance(?), runs on diesel, and you can use it as own transport, pte passenger van, goods vehicle etc...if you earn $200 per day that will be 5days times 4 weeks about $4k a month if you drive yourself or if you oay your driver $2K, less expenses, minimally can still make about $800 a month...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun do silly investments urself ... let ze professionals do it 4 u ...

let sg's worlds crass, world bestest, world lumpar 1 do it 4 u ...

invest in temasek ...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3) Deposit your money in foreign banks, not in SG. Which country? try Indonesia, their interest is very high and they pay you quarterly interests. Do a research on this.
tis 1 hor ...

skali dey devalue their moni overnite :eek:, den u noe ...

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like what some brothers here advise, do not put your money with banks or financial advisors. Foreign currency deposits are not viable unless you have made careful studies of the exchange rate trends, but actual movement of exchange rates can sometime be highly unpredictable. Local stock market is also not one of my option due to the limited risk/reward.

You can consider investing in US stocks with part of your money. I would recommend buying some Citibank (currently trading at US$3.20). I see potential upside above US$6.00 before end of next year but I strongly believe it should hit above my targeted price within the next few months. Do not panic and worry about the current downward movement or any further correction in the price as the depressed price is purely attributed to pschological factors (in my opinion). I recommend buy and hold out till next year. AIG should also see some good yield if they manage to list their Asian operations AIA. You may also wish to consider investing in new-energy stocks in Asia.

Do stay out of property stocks for the time being no matter what you read in the papers, especially those reports from the respective governments.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thank you all the brothers for your kind advice and comments...and suggestions.Would tread carefully.

Special thanks to ManSGP...Citi and AIG good options...buy and hold and watch...

I will advise my friend with the $200K to invest in Temasek. Tioboh?

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
the question is: how much you want to make from your 200k? do you know what you really want?

take consideration also your health condition and your financial commitment.

from what you had written, i was impressed that you just want to boast of possessing cash 200k. sorri if i am wrong.

laidback

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun waste time with C or BAC or AIG or WFC. Lots of toxic "assets" off their balance sheets that are yet to be written off, and bank earnings into 2010 are going to be flat according to most "anal"ysts. What's more, their high exposure to the shitty US mortgage market now will depress earnings for some time.

U want to "invest" (bet) on financials, go into VISA, MASTERCARD or AMEX.

Otherwise, go into tech and pharmaceuticals. Apple computer is one solid bet medium to long term, I am buying some every year for my kids :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the question is: how much you want to make from your 200k? do you know what you really want?

take consideration also your health condition and your financial commitment.

from what you had written, i was impressed that you just want to boast of possessing cash 200k. sorri if i am wrong.

helping a very good friend lah...i don't know anything about all these...but this very close uncle friend asked me to help..i told him i really don't know...he said he dare not put in our banks...they will take the money and "gamble away"....he is about to withdraw his CPF !!!!...worked hard all his life...the only thing i told him, if he does not need the money, better put inside, don't take out...4% is really good returns for his retirement account...tioboh?

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you all the brothers for your kind advice and comments...and suggestions.Would tread carefully.

Special thanks to ManSGP...Citi and AIG good options...buy and hold and watch...

I will advise my friend with the $200K to invest in Temasek. Tioboh?

I suggest you transfer the 200Ks to this con-artiste lurking around in this forum,
and in return he'll immediately issue you a credit for 300Ks with no questions asked.