• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore in Recession?

surespam

Alfrescian
Loyal
With all the numbers out recently, will Singapore be in recession? Or much important question, will I still have a job tomorrow?

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
FRE down 18% tonite, FNM down 11% - the way they're running out the door feels like a bailout by the govt is coming. Capitulation for the Dow probably soon.

AhBeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether recession or not......LKY always makes the money....I am sure he must be laughing to th bank everyday.........

thisrocksmysock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore's kinda affected by stuff globally aye.. USD is at an all time low, means oil is at an all time high. wonder if you guys read the article on OPEC stating that USD sliding would mean an increase in oil prices.

heh i guess it's all the speculation in the futures market - food prices, oil prices, coupled with the rising demand of oil vs low production.. resulting in a general bear market phenomenon.

Whatever it is, i'm sure the uncertainty itself is enough cause for worry. Times won't be as good as before. any bros got anything to add? or comment or criticise.. :smile:

E93M3

I think it is just a slowdown of the economy. Don't think it is as far as a full scale recession now.

uobboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
If not for the recent events like IR/F1/olympic preparation supporting we would be in a recession now . But anyway the next 2 quarters nothing much to boost the economy and will confirm the recession status . Technically a Recession = 2 quarters of negative growth .

Retail business inside the gantry area had been badly hit by the ERP increase . Even listed luxury business in the orchard rd area confirmed my findings .

Guys this is my own personal feeling and do not flame me . :p

Spud_Boy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think technically we are in a recession.. it's seems bad news everywhere.. but on a more global scale, so it's more of the whole world's getting suck into it..

Just hope it wouldn't be till the levels of the "Great Depression" long time ago..

uobboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think technically we are in a recession.. it's seems bad news everywhere.. but on a more global scale, so it's more of the whole world's getting suck into it..

Just hope it wouldn't be till the levels of the "Great Depression" long time ago..

Dr wee had said few days back " this is the worst financial crisis he had seen in his 48 years career "

wodemama

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, experts says what goes up must come down. -.- But i do not understand why the economy cannot be good forever. Any one can explain?

uobboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, experts says what goes up must come down. -.- But i do not understand why the economy cannot be good forever. Any one can explain?

Me no expert
But will try to explain
Most things in cycles ,
What goes up must come down
what goes down must come up .
We have Property 10yr cycle,
Stock market Bull-bear-bull-bear cycle.

Let me try to explain in my limited language .
a buy at 1
b buy at 1+1
c buy at 1+3
Everyone finds 1+3 too expensive and dun buy
After some times c finds 1+3 too expensive as he cannot sell
c sell at 1+1 (losses)
everyone still finds 1+1 too expensive and dun buy
after some time b finds 1+3 too expensive as he cannot sell
b sells at 1 (losses)
Along the way a could have sold at 1+1 or 1+3
It's called a Equity bubble and when it burst things get ugly .
Hope you can understand .

director66

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think we're in a recession...my bonus still intact :smile:
Inflation probably...all the prices are going up. Our salary need to keep up!

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fannie May and Freddie Mac continue to get dumped tonite.

My GLD is gonna rocket past $1000/ounce.

Hang on for a wild ride.

Last edited:

skymud

Alfrescian
Loyal
bros here all play in the stock market? Any idea how much to start with and where to look for master to learn from? heh

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think we're in a recession...my bonus still intact :smile:
Inflation probably...all the prices are going up. Our salary need to keep up!

I would add yet but we are close to one, depends on how the big boys screw up. Too bad our salary will not be keeping up with the price increases. :( Things don't look good.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fannie May and Freddie Mac continue to get dumped tonite.

My GLD is gonna rocket past $1000/ounce.

Hang on for a wild ride.

Good for you! But I am hoping the prices of food stay stable! My fried noodle breakfast now cost $1 from $0.70! Plus side is I save $1 now by not eating it. :biggrin:

Hypnotized

Recession seems to be a matter of time. Singapore is plugged into the world economy which is not in the best of health at the moment. Inflation is eroding purchasing power of consumers in the local economy adding to the woes of slowing export growth. The best case scenario now is to have a short-lived recession rather than a long drawn out one. And that is where the real debate is.