• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore inflation rate stays high at 5%!

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forward this article to your boss, if your yearly increment is not more than to fight INFLATION!:rolleyes:

March inflation stays high at 5%
my paper
Tue, Apr 26, 2011
INFLATION in Singapore stayed at a high 5 per cent last month, the same pace as in February, with higher prices for transport, housing and food contributing the most to the year-on-year increase.

On a month-on-month basis, the Singapore Department of Statistics (DOS) yesterday said that the consumer price index (CPI) last month increased marginally by 0.1 per cent, on a non-seasonally adjusted basis.

The figures were no surprise to analysts, who largely expect inflation for the entire Asian region not to change much in the next few months due to pressures from high food and fuel prices, coupled with tight capacity constraints.

"It was in line with expectations, and the month-on-month pace of increase is relatively moderate, so no one would get too upset, although it continues to stay around the multi-year high," said Mr

David Cohen, an economist at Action Economics in Singapore.

"I think the policymakers, like those elsewhere, are continuing to watch inflation nervously." The cost of transport last month surged by 13.4 per cent from a year ago, due to higher prices of cars and petrol.

Accommodation costs and electricity tariffs also shot up, pushing housing costs up by 7.1 per cent, while food prices increased by 2.6 per cent.

Meanwhile, DOS said that, compared to February, the more expensive housing, clothing and footwear, and "recreation and others" were offset partly by the 0.6 per cent drop in the cost of transport last month.

Overall, CPI in the first quarter of this year climbed by 5.2 per cent from the same period last year.

Mr Leif Eskesen, an economist at HSBC, said that there could be slightly softer readings on economic activity over the next few months, due to elevated oil prices and spillovers from last month's Japan earthquake. But these will not bring about enough slack in the economy.

"Capacity will remain tight... With the economy still operating at or above its potential, and demand conditions remaining strong, it is easier for businesses to pass on higher costs to consumers," he said.

"The additional tightening by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) earlier this month will also take time to filter through to economic activity, given the usual monetary policy lags."

Mr Eskesen also pointed out that MAS still has room to address further inflation and downside risks to growth, if necessary.

Economist Leong Wai Ho of Barclays Capital said that a greater sense of caution over the tail risks to growth and a desire to avoid excessive strength in the Singapore dollar were reflected in MAS' latest move.

The bank has forecast that the Singapore dollar will appreciate to 1.21 against the US dollar in a year. The local currency has been the best performer in Asia, excluding Japan.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I doubt the inflation rate is just a lowly 5%:eek:

More likely it's double digit.

When have they been satisfied by just a 5% increase :eek: It's not only single item increases but an organised increase by our landlord: water, rentals, ERP, public transport,...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

When have they been satisfied by just a 5% increase :eek: It's not only single item increases but an organised increase by our landlord: water, rentals, ERP, public transport,...

Finally, you arethe one guy on this thread thatsees the light. U cannot trust the govt. figures. I usually look at the projections from the banks or investment houses. I can guarantee u its double digit. Bascially, the basket of goods they use for calculation is crock, and added to that they also fake the numbers.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally, you arethe one guy on this thread thatsees the light. U cannot trust the govt. figures. I usually look at the projections from the banks or investment houses. I can guarantee u its double digit. Bascially, the basket of goods they use for calculation is crock, and added to that they also fake the numbers.

Unless you are the 66.6%, anything that they say, is the 'tooth', & 'hard tooth', you knock their head with a mallet, they will still say...it is the 'tooth'.

D.O.S. tried to to be 'honest' or was it M.I.T.? and got clobbered some years ago, if you remember...so, what the Shit Times, Nude paper, tooday or any media report, the figures have already being massaged, and any independent sources have already being 'fixed'...

So what is not new?

tua lam pah

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have been a bank currency trader for 27 years and may i humbly tell everyone,
all countries inflation figures are bullshit..... its probably double digit in most countries

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i have been a bank currency trader for 27 years and may i humbly tell everyone,
all countries inflation figures are bullshit..... its probably double digit in most countries

Is it an invasion when your own govt. lets them in. Its a betrayal by the fucking PAP.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

they will "massage" the data before release. dont trust whatever data they released.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
So my $400, is to tong for 6 months...

Food- hawkers will not increase price for 6 months...
How about Transport and Housing? Can they soon ba also?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So my $400, is to tong for 6 months...

Food- hawkers will not increase price for 6 months...
How about Transport and Housing? Can they soon ba also?

You belive the stuff about the not to increase in prices?, aren't this the job of c.a.s.e.? what the fook are they doing? oh I forgot...they have a ministar at CASE so now it had become an enuch org... as well!!

D

Dian Wei

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.