• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top Mum Awards: She worked hard for our family until she passed away this year, at 92

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
top_mum_awards_mum_passed_away_at_92-thumbnail.jpg

Rosalind Ow's mother passed away in March this year at the ripe old age of 92. She had worked very hard and made many sacrifices to support the family of five as their father was ill with tuberculosis from his opium addiction.

Rosalind writes in loving memory of her late mother:

"Dearest Mum, where art thou?

"You have passed into eternal life to be with the Lord, free from all worries and sufferings.

"My father was an odd-job labourer who was unfortunately addicted to opium. When he reached 40, he was diagnosed with tuberculosis.

"In order to feed a family of five children, pay hospital bills and buy opium for my dad, my mum had to make 'kueh' to sell in order to make ends meet.

"With the help of my uncle, she managed to build a cart to sell 'kueh' and other household items (like stationery, sewing kits, buttons and zips).

"A typical day for her started at 6am, when she peddled household items at a road junction near our house until 11am.

"Then she had to keep the goods and rush home in order to prepare 'kueh' to be sold at the market.

"At 2pm, she would push the cart to peddle her snacks from Telok Ayer Street to Upper Cross Street.

"Mum worked all day but ate only rice with some gravy and very little food.

"She kept the good food for us.

"Mum never found excuses to avoid work, no matter the circumstances.

"One morning, while pushing her cart half-way from our house, she accidentally stepped on a piece of glass and bled profusely. Luckily someone helped to stop the bleeding.

"Rainy days always left mum drenched and shivering.

"I remembered how the roof of the cart was almost blown off one time, and mum clung to it to keep it from flying away.

"How I wished my father was around to help.

"Although she was always busy selling her wares, she did not forget about her family.

"She regularly visited dad after work in Tan Tock Seng hospital, which was very isolated, dark and eerie in the evenings.

"The journey was very long and she had to change buses three times in order to reach the hospital.

"Once she was sick with fever but she dragged herself to my school to apply for remission of school fees for me.

"When she reached home, she laid on the bed the whole day without eating.

"Mum, how I wished I could thank you for your great sacrifice.

"I wanted to pay you with my best results but it was not up to your expectations.

"You had done so much for us without any complaint or anger towards us or my late father.

"When I had children, she helped to look after them. My son was very close to her.

"By God's grace, he was on leave for two weeks when she was very ill. He helped to look after her, keeping her company and holding her hand...

"All our family members took turns to take care of her at all the time of the day, even throughout the night.

"Mum, although you left us on March 21 this year at a ripe age of 92, you remain the “GREATEST MUM” in our hearts.

"You have left a legacy for us to follow."

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Top Mum Awards: She worked hard for our family until she passed away this year, a

I want to ask the PAP something.

"today, can a family of 5 kids, a sick husband with hospital bills, be supported by a mother who works selling kueh, or in fact, selling anything in a hawker centre?".

The answer is no, because u have allowed the cost of living to so far outstrip the income level.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Top Mum Awards: She worked hard for our family until she passed away this year, a

there won't be anymore such enduring women in today's society.