• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Banned book: No Man is an Island (about LKY) by James Minchin

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few years ago I bought a book in JB about LKY, No Man is an Island. The book was written by a jesuit priest who had previously interviewed LKY. Obviously LKY didn't like the book since it was banned on the pretext that the author used LKY's photo without his permission :eek:

I notice that there is now an updated version now with info covering 1985 to the current, available at MPH at City Square Mall in JB.

I've already got the old copy. My question is directed at those who've got the "updated book". Would you recommend getting the new book(with the addition of 1985 to current):confused:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
This book makes boring reading. The most interesting part is just the title - even then it is not original! He or his publisher is capitalising on the popularity of the more recent interest and publications on LKY.

A more interesting book would be Mahathir's "A doctor in the House" - it got more fiction than facts. Just read only the extracts. Must get this book the next time I hop to JB. At least Mahathir will be happy that someone is reading his book.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This book makes boring reading. The most interesting part is just the title - even then it is not original! He or his publisher is capitalising on the popularity of the more recent interest and publications on LKY.

A more interesting book would be Mahathir's "A doctor in the House" - it got more fiction than facts. Just read only the extracts. Must get this book the next time I hop to JB. At least Mahathir will be happy that someone is reading his book.

As for being interesting, it's a scholarly work & might not be for everyone:biggrin:
I found Minchin's view that NS was implemented because LKY was afraid of the Malaysians kicking him out & taking back Spore interesting. It's a different interpretation of the usual propaganda you get in Spore.

MPH is selling the Mahathir & LKY book side by side:smile: When I was there they had a video of LKY running. I was surprised that the in Malaysia, the LKY book "Hard Truths" was being more prominently advertised than the Mathahir book. :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for being interesting, it's a scholarly work & might not be for everyone:biggrin:
I found Minchin's view that NS was implemented because LKY was afraid of the Malaysians kicking him out & taking back Spore interesting. It's a different interpretation of the usual propaganda you get in Spore.

MPH is selling the Mahathir & LKY book side by side:smile: When I was there they had a video of LKY running. I was surprised that the in Malaysia, the LKY book "Hard Truths" was being more prominently advertised than the Mathahir book. :rolleyes:

The video was showing LKY running from Mahathir? hmm interesting. Would get a copy of Dr. M book...don't need LKY 'hard tooth'...etc:p

At least what you recommend is scholarly works....rather than the his story we get from his books...nothing but HIS-STORY:rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The video was showing LKY running from Mahathir? hmm interesting. Would get a copy of Dr. M book...don't need LKY 'hard tooth'...etc:p

At least what you recommend is scholarly works....rather than the his story we get from his books...nothing but HIS-STORY:rolleyes:

As a skeptical Sporean I have my doubts about what LKY has written.
I'm sure LKY has done alot of underhanded & despicable things in his life time.

I doubt that LKY will ever write a truthful tell all about his life. I suspect that LKY actually believes many of the lies he's written. :eek:

Have to rely on banned books to find out about what they are trying to hide:smile:

The Malaysian media is more independant than in Spore. So I'm sure there's fewer oppurtunities for Dr. Mahathir to rewrite history :biggrin:

Last edited:

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
James Minchin's "NO MAN IS AN ISLAND" is woth a read.

1a1181b0c8a0d17614d0a110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

James made the following revelations:

LKY's dad and mom were on bad terms.

LKY's mom converted to Christianity and on her deathbed, she wanted LKY to turn to JESUS....

James Minchin was a Priest in Singapore......

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no mph in city square. Are you talking about Times bookstore?

When was the last time you visited City Square :confused:
The Times book store has been gone for many years.

Other than the smaller magazine stores at the ground floor & 2nd floor, the big bookstores at City Square are Popular(4th floor) & MPH(3rd floor).

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

Comparing prices, is the Mahathir's book cheaper in JB or in Singapore, or the same? Thinking of buying one - and want to save whatever sen or cents I can. Terima kasih.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. the recent crying sheep could do likewise.
3. his book entitled "why sheep cry?"
4. retiring perks cum author royalities and sales.
5. no wonder sheep cry man!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Comparing prices, is the Mahathir's book cheaper in JB or in Singapore, or the same? Thinking of buying one - and want to save whatever sen or cents I can. Terima kasih.

Was only looking at the Minchin book when I was in JB, it is RM$29.95.

Will check the price on the prices of the Mahathir book when I'm in JB next week.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought Minchin never met LKY. Recalled, it was stated either in the book or in some review. Would not placed much value to the book.

In the book(1st edition) he claimed to have interviewed LKY. I'm sure LKY has been interviewed by many people. I don't see why Minchin would lie about something like that :confused:

The book was written during LKY's suing period. If the book was inaccurate & full of lies, why didn't LKY sue him:smile:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was only looking at the Minchin book when I was in JB, it is RM$29.95.
Will check the price on the prices of the Mahathir book when I'm in JB next week.

Thanks and waiting for your quotation - I'm avoiding going in during this holiday period fearful of jam during the "jam-free" periods. Will buy it either in KL or JB if cheaper - get Mahathir to sign it if possible.

I remember buying the Minchin hardcover book for about that price in AUD dollar - all the way from Australia!
Amazon quoting $63.95 including postage (in US dollars I think).

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks and waiting for your quotation - I'm avoiding going in during this holiday period fearful of jam during the "jam-free" periods. Will buy it either in KL or JB if cheaper - get Mahathir to sign it if possible.

I remember buying the Minchin hardcover book for about that price in AUD dollar - all the way from Australia!
Amazon quoting $63.95 including postage (in US dollars I think).

I'm going to JB twice per week on weekdays & its not that crowded. I would say that there's a bigger crowd in Spores MRT stations:eek:

Doctor in the House
Memoirs of Mahathir cost RM$100.00

Othe books on Spore available at MPH at JB:
Beyond Suspicion?(Francis T. Seow) RM$50.00
Hard Truths(LKY) RM$70.00
No Man is an Island(James Minchin) RM29.90

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doctor in the House
Memoirs of Mahathir cost RM$100.00
No Man is an Island(James Minchin) RM29.90

Terima kasih banyak banyak for the information. Much appreciated.
I'm surprised it's sold at the price.
Strang after so many years, No Man is still sold at that price. May be it's a soft cover edition?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Terima kasih banyak banyak for the information. Much appreciated.
I'm surprised it's sold at the price.
Strang after so many years, No Man is still sold at that price. May be it's a soft cover edition?

Mathathir's book "Doctor in the House" is a hardcover book, while the Francis Seow & Minchin book are in softcover.

So too is "To Catch a Tartar" by Francis Seow which I also got from Times Bookstore when it was still open in City Square Mall.

Don't know why but the softcover versions are so much cheaper than hardcover ones, at least in Malaysia. Magazines printed in Malaysia are also cheaper: T3, Men's Fitness, etc

I usually get my reading materials from Malaysia, at least they haven't prevented people from bring them across the Causeway. I already see that they now restrict the amount of foodstuffs you can bring across:(

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
.... I already see that they now restrict the amount of foodstuffs you can bring across:(

Seldom experience this at the Causeway. Usually customs just have a cursory glance and waved me through even though boots filled with all sorts of barang barang bought by family. Of course without the prohibited stuff like uncooked meat, eggs, chewing gum and pirated CDs. They do have sharp eyes though.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seldom experience this at the Causeway. Usually customs just have a cursory glance and waved me through even though boots filled with all sorts of barang barang bought by family. Of course without the prohibited stuff like uncooked meat, eggs, chewing gum and pirated CDs. They do have sharp eyes though.

As someone pointed out, Spore customs will gradually tighten the rules. This is to allow Sporeans to adjust to the new rules.

Just look at alchohol, cigarettes, CDs & DVDs. It wasn't that long ago when Sporeans brought them into Spore, but nowadays people know they can't do this.

The same thing will happen with the restrictions on food stuffs, as it threatens the PAP's revenue & monopoly of NTUC. So enjoy whatever you can bring in while you can.

I saw a copy of the Dr. Mahathir book, "Doctor in the House" at the Popular Book Store in Spore. It was SIN$58.85