• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kong Hee steps down as church chairman

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_IMAGES_KONGHEE.jpg
Mr Kong stepped down as head of the church's ministry soon after the CAD started its probe on alleged misuse of church funds last May. After stepping down as chairman of the management board in the latest shuffle, he will remain as a board member. -- FILE PHOTO: CITY HARVEST CHURCH

CITY Harvest Church founder Kong Hee has stepped down as chairman of the church's 10-member management board in a major leadership shuffle - the second since investigations into the church began nearly a year ago.

Although Mr Kong will stay on as a board member, half of the board will be replaced. The five outgoing members are: Mr Suraj, Mr Aries Zulkarnain, Mr Lee Tat Haur, Mr Chiang Pak Shane and Mr Choong Tsih Ming.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The church trying to reduce the possible impact of the investigation?

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
The church trying to reduce the possible impact of the investigation?

Cant help but also think that all these reshuffling to remove whatever conflict of interest there already is. Question is are they aware of this conflict of interest only because of CAD investigations?

hillary888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can take it as Leadership renewal.

Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief and you will not know at what time I will come to you. Rev 3:3

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
CITY Harvest Church founder Kong Hee has stepped down as chairman of the church's 10-member management board in a major leadership shuffle - the second since investigations into the church began nearly a year ago.

Although Mr Kong will stay on as a board member, half of the board will be replaced. The five outgoing members are: Mr Suraj, Mr Aries Zulkarnain, Mr Lee Tat Haur, Mr Chiang Pak Shane and Mr Choong Tsih Ming.

A new chairman is expected to be announced by May 10.

Responding to queries from The Straits Times, a church spokesman said that the decision for Mr Kong to step down had been taken 'after consultation with senior members of the church'.

'In order to have an orderly handover, it was decided that the most appropriate time would be to coincide with the Annual General Meeting,' the spokesman added.

In a church newsletter released over the weekend, City Harvest said that the shuffle, held during the church's AGM on April 10, was to comply with the recently updated charities' code of governance.

In January, the Charity Council tweaked its guidelines to establish stricter distinctions between the board and staff members of charities.

Previously, the governance code stated that paid staff should not serve as board members; now, both paid and unpaid staff are advised not to serve on the board. If staff are also board members, they should not comprise more than one-third of the board.

This was to maintain board independence, the council said. It added that staff members should not chair the board.

Asked to make a distinction between staff and non-staff members, the council said that the key consideration was whether the people were involved in operational work or not.

'In general, if a new board member is only overseeing missions work,�but is not involved in the actual running of missionary programmes in�the field, he or she is not considered a staff,' the council added.

With the five new board members, the church's deputy pastor Tan Ye Peng, its missions director Bobby Chaw, and Mr Kong will be the only staff members serving on the board, the church said.

Addressing the church on April 10, Mr Kong, 47, who is also City Harvest's senior pastor, said that the new board members would also 'ensure steady renewal of the board'.

He added that because its previous board had 'worked so seamlessly' as a team, that the church had no need to change its board over the years.

It is unclear how long each of the outgoing members has served on the board, but the church noted that Mr Suraj has served as secretary for 18 years.

The church's five new board members are known figures at the independent, 30,000-strong church.

Mr Chaw is the church's missions director, while Mr Lee Kiam Hong, Mr John Lim Geok Peng, and Mr Francis Tay Eng Hock are cell group leaders; the fifth newcomer, Dr Francis Seow-Choen, a consultant at Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, is a member of the church's missions committee.

Mr Kong's latest announcement of his stepping down as chairman of the board is the second major management reshuffle since investigations into City Harvest began in May last year.

Soon after the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) launched a probe into the alleged misuse of church funds, Mr Kong stepped down as head of church ministry. He was replaced by Mr Derek Dunn, 39, the church's executive pastor, and Mr Zulkarnain, 38, in June last year.

Mr Kong is one of the 20-odd church members who have been summoned by the CAD. Asked yesterday for a case update, the CAD said as investigations are ongoing, it was unable to give details.

Few City Harvest members, when asked yesterday, said Mr Kong's stepping down as chairman would matter. Said Mr Amos Lee, 40, a church member for 14 years: 'As long as the overall leadership is still intact, and he is still the one giving the direction, I don't think there will be an issue.' :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
already one year ...still no outcome of the case ? the goverment worry the case will affect the election ? no christains will vote for him ?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sidetrack question for Drifter, thought not to waste a thread on a curiosity question.

Why is the Japanese Parliament called the Diet?

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these Church are under secrecy act? question, if charity financial figures are given by the state, power to hide their money from the donars like you and me, then isn't it the same as a secret society?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually I dont care about the Stupid church because I not even donate a cent. Only those stupid member are been con into donation and buying his wife CD.
Everytime I see the CHC member I tell my friend how stupid there are.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kong Hee and CHC has $$$biz connections in HK. Money collected here in S'pore is used for money lending purposes in HK. Wonder if CAD is aware of this.