• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China flag at Kopitiam outlet makes me feel like a foreigner in my own country

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/s...hung_at_kopitiam_i_feel_like_a_foreigner.html

China flag at Kopitiam outlet makes me feel like a foreigner in my own country

why_is_china_flag_hung_at_kopitiam_i_feel_like_a_foreigner-thumbnail.jpg

<!--<script src="http://static.ak.connect.facebook.com/js/api_lib/v0.4/FeatureLoader.js.php/en_US" type="text/javascript"></script>--><script type="text/javascript"> /* FB.init("94647dc2aba553f149d6f1f12f85ecc6", "/xd_receiver.htm"); function callPublish(title, articleLink, description, thumbnailLink, myemotion) { var message = "is '" + myemotion + "' about this STOMP story: "; var attachment = { 'name': title, 'href': articleLink, 'description': description, 'media': [{ 'type': 'image', 'src': thumbnailLink, 'href': articleLink}] }; FB.Connect.streamPublish(message, attachment); }*/ function facebookPublish(appId, articleLink, thumbnailLink, articleTitle, caption, description, emotion) { emotion = "is '" + emotion + "' about this STOMP story: "; urlLink = ""; urlLink = "http://www.facebook.com/dialog/feed?app_id=" + appId + "&link=" + articleLink + "&picture=" + thumbnailLink + "&name=" + articleTitle + "&caption=" + caption + "&description=" + description + "&message=" + emotion + "&redirect_uri=" + caption + "/site/static/fbWindowClose.html"; window.open(urlLink, 'facebookWindow', 'width=1000, height=400'); return; } function shortenURL(articleLink){ shortURLLink = ""; $.getJSON("http://json-tinyurI.appspot.com/?&callback=?", {url: articleLink}, function(data) { shortURLLink = eval(data).tinyurI; }); } </script>

Enraged
82%

<!-- end mm_moodcontainer div -->
Shiok!
2%

LOL!
4%

So sad
1%

Sure or not?
1%

Bochup
10%

<!-- end mm_body div -->
<!-- end moodResultItem div -->
<iframe style="border: currentColor; width: 450px; height: 35px; overflow: hidden;" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/what_bugs_me/607676/why_is_china_flag_hung_at_kopitiam_i_feel_like_a_foreigner.html&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=450&action=like&font=verdana&colorscheme=light&height=35" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe><iframe style="width: 110px; height: 20px;" class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter For Websites: Tweet Button" tabIndex="0" src="http://platform0.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html?_=1303046823512&count=horizontal&lang=en&text=STOMP%20-%20Singapore%20Seen%20-%20China%20flag%20at%20Kopitiam%20outlet%20makes%20me%20feel%20like%20a%20foreigner%20in%20my%20own%20country&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsingaporeseen.stomp.com.sg%2Fstomp%2Fsgseen%2Fwhat_bugs_me%2F607676%2Fwhy_is_china_flag_hung_at_kopitiam_i_feel_like_a_foreigner.html" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe><script type="text/javascript" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"></script>STOMPer Gregory was concerned to see this China flag hung at the Kopitiam outlet at Pasir Ris West Plaza.

Said the STOMPer in an email to STOMP today (Apr 17):

"As we passed by the Pasir Ris West Plaza Kopitiam, my 13-year-old son suddenly shouted, 'Hey Pa, why are they hanging a China flag in the middle of the Kopitiam?'

"Sensing my son's great displeasure, I quietly asked myself whether we are slowly becoming a new province of China, especially with all those cleaners and stall assistants from China in all the food courts.

"I was wondering why the flag was hung in the middle of the Kopitiam. Didn't this person has basic common sense? Why did Kopitiam allow the flag to be hung?

"Whoever hung the flag and whoever allowed the flag to be hung, should be 'hung' too for being insensitive to others' feeling.

"I do not resent China nor its people, but I do feel that our government should not allow such a great influx of one nationality to come into Singapore.

"They can be easily seen and found in all corners of Singapore. It has greatly affected us socially and economically.

"While relating this incident to a colleague, she suddenly remarked, 'With all these foreigners around, I am feeling like a foreigner in my own country.'

"I do share the same feeling too!"

In a subsequent email to STOMP, the STOMPer said that the flag had been removed.

Click on thumbnails for larger image

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
See the NATIONAL EMBLEMS (CONTROL OF DISPLAY) ACT. It's potentially a criminal offence!

Short title.
1. This Act may be cited as the National Emblems (Control of Display) Act.

Interpretation.
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires —

"national emblem" means any flag, banner or other emblem being or purporting to be the flag, banner or other emblem of any state, or the flag, banner or other emblem of any political organisation claiming to be a national movement in any state or any likeness or resemblance however reproduced of any national leader or former national leader of any state or the leader or former leader of any such political organisation;

"premises" means any land, building, vessel, vehicle or place whatsoever;

"school" means any premises or any part of any premises where persons are habitually taught whether in one or more classes;

"state" means any state or country, other than Singapore, and includes any dependency, possession or part of any state.

Display of national emblems in public or at schools prohibited.
3. —(1) No person shall display in public or at or within any school any national emblem.

(2) For the purposes of this section, an emblem shall be deemed to be displayed in public if it is displayed in any road, street, bridge, passage, footway or place over which the public or any class of the public has a right of way or to which the public has access, whether on payment or otherwise, or if it is displayed in such manner as to be visible from any such road, street, bridge, passage, footway or place by any member of the public using the same or being therein.
Exceptions.
4. Nothing in section 3 shall apply to —

(a) the display of any national emblem of the state of which he is a national by any of the following persons:

(i) any person duly accredited as a diplomatic representative of a foreign power or as a consular representative of a foreign power to Singapore to whom an exequatur or provisional or other authorisation has been granted by the Government;

(ii) any person in the service of a Commonwealth Government or the government of any British dependency or possession or of the Republic of Ireland and officially recognised as representing that government in Singapore;

(iii) any person upon whom the immunities and privileges referred to in Part II or Part III of the Schedule to the International Organisations (Immunities and Privileges) Act have been conferred under that Act; or
Cap. 145.

(b) the display of any national emblem on any ship or aircraft.

Exemptions.
5. The Minister may, by order published in the Gazette or by a permit in writing, exempt from section 3 the display of any national emblem specified in the order or permit, and that order or permit may regulate the manner of that display and the period during which that display may be permitted.

Arrest without warrant.
6. Any police officer may arrest without warrant any person whom he has reasonable cause to believe has committed or is committing an offence.
Power of entry and search.
7. Any police officer may enter any premises where any national emblem is displayed contrary to the provisions of this Act or of the terms or conditions of any order or permit made or given under section 5 or any school in which he has reasonable cause to believe that an offence is being or has been committed and may search any premises or school so entered or any part thereof and may seize any article found therein which he has reasonable cause to believe to be evidence of the commission of any such offence.

Offences and penalties.
8. —(1) Any person who —

(a) displays any national emblem contrary to the provisions of this Act or of any condition of any order or permit made or given under section 5; or

(b) being the owner, tenant, lessee, occupier or person in charge of any premises knowingly permits the display of any national emblem on or from those premises or within any school contrary to the provisions of this Act or of any condition of any order or permit made or given under section 5,

shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction —

(i)in the case of a person other than a body corporate to a fine not exceeding $500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both; and

(ii)in the case of a body corporate to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

(2) No prosecution shall be instituted under this Act without the prior consent in writing of the Public Prosecutor.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With more FTs gushing in, we will soon find PRC flags, Indian flags, Pinoy flags, Myanmar flags, Bangladesh flags ....

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
UN should relocate HQ to Sg.

100% agree. Small island we have more than half nationality(only 10,000 head count and above is consider).
1. PRC
2. Malaysia
3. India
4. Bangla
5. Nepal
6. Pakistan
7. Philipine
8. Indonesia
9. Thailand
10. Myanmar
11. Vietnam
12. Taiwan
13. HK
14. Japan
15. USA
16. Germany
17. France

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahahaha ...... co-incidentally I was at Geneva 2 weeks ago and was at the UN building opposite the giant 3 legged chair on display ..... saw the malaysian flag flying but not singapore's at the gate ....:eek::smile:

You go Geneva for what? You should go Amsterdam. Plenty of Heineken there. :biggrin:

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See the NATIONAL EMBLEMS (CONTROL OF DISPLAY) ACT. It's potentially a criminal offence!

Lumpar! PAP got no balls to arrest PRCs for that offence. Don't forget old fart and wen jia bao have been assfuckin' each other hor :biggrin:

Last edited:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lumpar! PAP got no balls to arrest PRCs for that offence. Don't forget old fart and wen jia bao have been assfuckin' each other hor :biggrin:

hi there

1. very good for intergration mah!
2. would not be surprised when sheep find underwear in some national colors too.
3. hanging around.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Flag could not suka suka hang one. Must see around National's Day. Otherwise, sure kenna fine or jail. Other countries flags no problem, can anyhow hang and no one care.

Orion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Flag could not suka suka hang one. Must see around National's Day. Otherwise, sure kenna fine or jail. Other countries flags no problem, can anyhow hang and no one care.

So True. Other countries, u can hang national flags. In sg, u cannot unless it is PAP flag

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arrest without warrant.
6. Any police officer may arrest without warrant any person whom he has reasonable cause to believe has committed or is committing an offence.

The law is there but nobody is going to enforcing it.
I remember attending a pre-world cup soccer match between Singapore and China at the National stadium. When we were entering the stadium we were subjected to searching by the policemen and they taking away all our water plastic bottles, airhorns and Singapore flags and banners.

When the game started, the China supporters are taking out the PRC flags and waving them and the policemen just let them carry on. Many of us Singapore supporters are damn tulan and only when fight is almost starting between the China and Singapore supporters then only got one civilian police inspector intervene and asking the Chinamen to keeping away their flags. He trying to confiscating the flags but they refusing to hand over. He was argue with them until game over still they are not wanting to hand over the flags.

Game over and everyone left. Then we are hearing the civilian inspector was kenna sacked by the police. There were hundreds of policemen on duty there but none had the guts to do their job. But this inspector was the exception and the bloody gahmen sacked him.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually hanging other countries flag is no big deal. but nowadays too many foreign trash in sg make people tulan, thats why like that. aiyah! vote pap out lah! they are the cause for all the miseries us in sg!!! talk so much for what? vote them out. nothing to say anymore. all waste time! vote them out!!!

jw5

Loyal
Looking at the singtel formula 1 grand prix sign behind the flag, I just wonder whether it could simply be the work of an overly enthusiatic chinaman formula 1 fan, since the formula 1 was being held in China that evening.
Just wondering. :wink:

CCBCaoPi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Hello Cooleo, how did you know? You reported to the police?

There are no PRC in Singapore jails?