• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beijing Olympics 2008

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beijing Olympics 2008 is officially starting tormorrow. What are your forecasts and commentaries? Overall medal tallies and individual sports.

jastsen

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, i think most of the china players must be feeling the pressure now....to do better in front of the country ppl....stressful lah...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well, i think most of the china players must be feeling the pressure now....to do better in front of the country ppl....stressful lah...

The bulk of China's medals should as usual be coming from table tennis, badminton, gymnastics and diving. However, I don't think that'd be enough to beat the US to the top the medal tally. China have to get more medals from athletics, swimming and others.

darknight

Alfrescian
Loyal
if it is only these few event like the last olympic then it is hard. but they have add wushu to it. so there is a chance.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After 3 days of competition, China is leading the tally with 9 gold medals. Though it's still early days, it's surprising, Russia, Germany and France has yet to strike gold.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The table tennis games have just paddled off. Whatever Singaporeans feel about foreign talents, Singapore have realistic chances of not only one medal but two, women's single and women's team.

Of the traditional sporting powers, Germany and Russia have finally opened their gold medal accounts, but France have yet to score their first gold medal. On the overall tally, China is still leading the US, but the real test will come when the athletic events start.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
France has finally struck gold. After 5 days of competition, the top ten on the medal tally looks more regularized:

China, USA, South Korea, Germany, Australia, Japan, Italy, France, Russia, Great Britain.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think maybe by next three days USA will overtake China in total number of GOLD . :biggrin:

With China leading the US by about double at the moment, it has to depend very much on athletics for the US to overtake China.

If I recall correctly, only two nations have topped the Olympic medal tallies after WW2, the USA and the USSR. I don't think that Russia have topped any Olympic medal tally after the dissolution of the USSR.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I predict China will be getting min 35 Gold.
Here my prediction for GOLD medal
1. China 35~50max.
2. USA 25~35 max.
3. Russia 10~20.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another surprise may Great Britain after the athletics start. It last topped the tally in London 1908 (incidentally exactly one century ago) at the height of the empire, but has only averaged the lower top ten (or sometimes worse) ever since.

After WW2 and during the cold war, there hadn't been any enthusiastic performance except winning a few gold medals to keep an average lower top ten ranking, culminating in the disastrous Atlanta 1996 when only one gold medal was won.

Great Britain has recovered a bit since then, and the winning bid for London 2012 has generated more sporting enthusiasm and preparation. I wouldn't be surprised if Great Britain were to take quite a few gold medals from the US in athletics, and thus helping China to top the Beijing 2008 medal tally.

Last edited:

High till Dry

Alfrescian
Loyal
i also think usa will be the top. usually i think host country scheduled their best sports in the beginning of the olympics

G

goldenball

china will be top with all the home advantage and the crowd cheering em

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The moment of truth today at 2:30p.m. Beat South Korea and it's at least silver for Singapore. Lose and it's at most bronze.