• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hooliganism on the rise in Singapore

aces68

I noticed in recent years that hooliganism is on the rise in Singapore. Just last week there was a report in New Paper (2/July) of some bashing in Boat Quay area, etc. http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,170007,00.html

It seems a far cry from 10-15 years ago when I first came to Singapore. At that time, we hardly hear of such hooligan acts and crimes. Nowadays such crimes are quite common especially on the weekends.

The funny thing is sometimes the police say that they cannot intervene cos it's not a crime if someone pick a fight against you. The crimes and hooligan acts seem to be similar to what you get in Western society. I remember when studying overseas many years ago that such hooliganism are quite common.

I believe there are 2 main causes for this rise in hooligan acts:-
1. Government's open attitude towards western culture, like encouraging bar-top dancing, opening night spots till early morning hours.
2. Influx of foreigners, you can see a lot of petty crimes are committed by foreigners.

I wonder if anyone shares my opinion.

Just my 2 cents worth

slyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree with u bro. nowadays many youngsters joined gangs and secret societies for "cool" as a reason. they never think of the consequences. 10yrs plus ago while i am studying in sec sch, gangsterism is not on the high.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
otr reasons mayb they feel their peers understand more than their luv ones. Botherhood mah, any1 'hood' 1 of them, e rest will take revenge 4 him kinda tingy. Got money cheong together no money pachew together? :cool:

evlxi

definitely, i've thought for the last two years "ahbengs" have extinct but its recent months, their "re-surfacing" again..
sad-case

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree with u bro. nowadays many youngsters joined gangs and secret societies for "cool" as a reason. they never think of the consequences. 10yrs plus ago while i am studying in sec sch, gangsterism is not on the high.

To borrow a phrase of these youngsters... they are so LAME. :biggrin:

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal
young punks la who bigger group who win lo
last time where got like that one last time old school mentality is much better . Gangsters and hooligans are very different. Please do not mix them up totally different la

loafer73

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun necessary agree. back in 80's & 90's, gangsterism was as bad. just that it wasn't reported. quite often there are small scale gang clashes that went unreported. well, i guess it is who we mix with.

hooliganism is always in our society, regardless of where.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
young punks la who bigger group who win lo
last time where got like that one last time old school mentality is much better . Gangsters and hooligans are very different. Please do not mix them up totally different la

True. Old school fight for turf and money not over stupid things. These lot are nothing more than hooligans. But I still hope the law will treat them like real gangster and throw the book at them! :biggrin:

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal
True. Old school fight for turf and money not over stupid things. These lot are nothing more than hooligans. But I still hope the law will treat them like real gangster and throw the book at them! :biggrin:

ya i know what you mean the young punks can really be a pain in the ass sometimes. Wahahahahahhaha round them all up and new ones will appear it will never end la bro cause there's always another generation to takeover them^^

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mostly are young ones bah. cuz they have no stress or worries mah.
only studies, no money take from parents, holidays too much time nothing to do then try sumting funny lor.

i believe sum of us when we were young, we also behave like this.:p

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
mostly are young ones bah. cuz they have no stress or worries mah.
only studies, no money take from parents, holidays too much time nothing to do then try sumting funny lor.

i believe sum of us when we were young, we also behave like this.:p

In otherwords they are too free nothing better to do. :biggrin: Jail or boys home will really be an exciting adventure for them. :p

hallehluya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some kids like to go for the emo look. You know the flippy hair, wrist cutting, suicidal notes writing, 'nobody understands me' bullshit. Which would you prefer? Juvenile gangsters or emo kids :S

Shi Jin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kids nowadays only want to look cool and lacks any character... I worry for the future generation.

Only character they got is from comics and computer games. :biggrin: Always aping their idols. But ... wait a minute given that my nick here is Shi Jin maybe I am not the best person to comment. :biggrin:

wbtym

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol Shi Jin. I remember playing Bandit kings of ancient china when I was a kid.
Back to topic, hooliganism is still not as bad as in Europe. World's most notorious ones are English soccer hooligans. Brawl over a game of soccer. Totally uncalled for. LOL.

ReCaRo79

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be frank, holligans or gangsters in my point of view have already decreased compared to the olden days when i was young.

The peak period in number of gangsters are the highest in the olden era.

Now is more like those small kiddo bengs and lians or "gina" gangsters around and not as fierce like those gangsters who are so fierce in the past. Those old ones have already retired.

My 2 cents...

Yato

Ya, nowadays the hooligans are much kaisi compared to the gangsters in the past era. Those have retired liao.

Most of them nowadays are youngsters out to create trouble only. :smile: