• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Baby Bonus - Not enough?

gimidy17

Alfrescian
Loyal
Due to surge in the cost of living, rising petrol cost, shortage of rice etc, would you think the little amount for baby bonus is enough?
For me, I find it very taxing hence would suspect that it may be not effective to promote more baby for the years to come, unless subsidy is increased.

My guess is that the current situation would not diter those who long for a baby, but would surely blocked most worker's group to think twice before making one? What is your view?

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think cost of living is not the main reason for not having more babies.

Couples in singapore and other developed countries will always put their personal interest/enjoyment above family planning issue. Having worked in such a stressed environment, they will want to make worth for every $ they earned. Just read the newspaper today and you will see one quote mentioning that :p

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew recently commented that Singapore is looking at Swedish family policies to improve the birth rate in the Republic.

Sweden’s Ambassador to Singapore, Par Ahlberger, said that childcare in his country is kept affordable though it is not free.
Sweden is also the first country in the world to introduce paternal leave, back in 1974.
"A Swedish family can take 480 days of parental leave for the first child, and that is a lot. Out of these, some 60 days are earmarked for the father and he has to take them," said Mr Ahlberger.
The Swedish workplace also offers family—friendly policies.
"One concept in Sweden which has helped the workforce spend more time with their children and family is called flexi—time. This is where the workers are able to negotiate their working hours with their employers so that more time can be set aside for the family," said the ambassador.
"When I was posted to Stockholm, I took parental leave and I made a deal with the Minister for Trade that I would leave the office at 3 o’clock every day to pick up my kids from the kindergarten," he added.
But all these measures come at a cost.
Associate Professor Paulin Straughan, a sociologist, said: "The Swedish way is very expensive because at the end of the day, personally, I wouldn’t want to see my taxes go up to support this. The Swedish model will be important for those who are planning to get married and have kids.
"It will certainly be welcomed by a large segment of those who are in the process of making important decisions and they are likely to welcome this and have more children."
But younger Singaporeans face other contesting issues.
"They also articulate that if you want to start a family, if you want to marry and have children, you have to first be financially secure," said
Associate Professor Straughan.
Some experts say much will depend on mindsets at home and at the workplace.
Women feel that husbands must accept that investment in nurturing children is just as important as investing in their careers, said sociologists.
With the hint that the government is reviewing its procreation policies, some Singaporeans are hoping for more pro—baby incentives.
In 2004, a comprehensive pro—family package included the baby bonus and new paternal leave for fathers.
Sharon Tan, a mother, said: "Infrastructure—wise, we need a lot more support for childcare to induce people who are working to have more kids, because I think it’s quite difficult when you have to rely on maids and relatives."
"Kindergartens... because most of them are privately run. I just feel that maybe, yes, it would help if there are more subsidies," said Penny Lim, another mother. — CNA/ir

goldencub

Alfrescian
Loyal
..My guess is that the current situation would not diter those who long for a baby, but would surely blocked most worker's group to think twice before making one? What is your view?

I would money is not everything but without it is very difficult to pass each day leh, so more subsidy would surely be helpful.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would money is not everything but without it is very difficult to pass each day leh, so more subsidy would surely be helpful.

It's just too expensive. Wedding dinner and all already set you back quite a bit and plus housing...where got enough left to have kids. Plus these days I worry about how the children will turn out with all the negative influences!

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
The tax rebate was a good one. I just hope they can come up with more idea to help newly wed couple cope with rising costs!

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, e government really bent on encouraging more babies.

SINGAPORE: What does it take to get Singaporeans to have more children?

In an attempt to boost Singapore's birth rate, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew recently said the government is looking at Sweden's experience.

Singapore is also looking at the American way, said Community Development, Youth and Sports Minister Vivian Balakrishnan.

America has a total fertility rate of 2.1, higher than Sweden's 1.8 last year.

In Sweden, parents could receive up to 13 months' paid leave and child allowances.

Dr Balakrishnan said the Swedish model is heavily subsidised. "The American model, there are no heavily-subsidised services, but nevertheless what they have is a great amount of flexibility," he said on the sidelines of a community event on Saturday.

"People can enter and leave the workforce, people can work part time, people can take a few years off and then go back to the workforce, they are not disadvantaged, they still continue to be high achievers." he added.

An important stakeholder in all this will be the employers, as flexible working arrangements could have an impact on the companies' operation and even bottom line. So the relevant agencies are working with businesses to see how best to implement it.

Also on the agenda - getting husbands to chip in and support their spouses by playing a more active role at home.

Dr Balakrishnan said: "If we insist that we are a modern society which gives women education and equal opportunity at work, you cannot on the other hand come back home and expect women to bear a totally unequal share of domestic duties and child rearing. It doesn't work that way."

Dr Balakrishnan added that his ministry is also looking at the affordability of childcare services to ensure they stay within reach of the majority of Singaporeans.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Flexibility, hard la. In Asia, the trust element is definitely not there.

Ha! Flexibility? That will be the day. Businesses want certainty how to incorporate flexibility? Only way is for govt to make it so. But guess what? That is not going to happen. Heck even the govt agencies don't lead by example.

aakumu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro,
The need to have a baby cannot be bought by money, it come from the heart, to fufill a need to complete a family.

My humble two cents.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
The tax rebate was a good one. I just hope they can come up with more idea to help newly wed couple cope with rising costs!

i proposed that all newly weds who throws wedding dinner should be given a subsidy similar in kind to the housing subsidy...gov can consider it as some source of ang pow money for the newly weds..

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
and they should legalize polygamy and make it cheap to divorce so that a man can remarry as many times as he wants and have kids...preferably the state also pay for the maintenance of the kids after divorce..:biggrin:

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
is really $ not enough to have kids.
Will have, i want to have.
BUT that will be after i leave this country:cool:

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
and they should legalize polygamy and make it cheap to divorce so that a man can remarry as many times as he wants and have kids...preferably the state also pay for the maintenance of the kids after divorce..:biggrin:

They fuck for you also?? You stupid retard !!

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well they are welcum to take my sperm and impregnate as many women as they want...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

RETARD!!

What happen retard Delphi cannot stimulate your retard brain anymore?

They take your defective sperm to produce retards like you ??? I think not !!

Fuck Off !!