• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Low crime = no crime? or High Complacency?

gerlover

Compared to many countries, particularly our neighbours, Singapore is a relatively low crime country. Even compared to developed countries such as the US or the UK, assuming that we can consider them developed, Singapore is still relatively safe.

For example, in how many countries can a woman walk home alone late at night and not become a crime victim? How many gun related deaths are there in Singapore?

However, low crime, IMHO is not the same as no-crime as some Singaporeans would like to believe. Perhaps that somewhat explains why some Singaporeans are complacent with it comes to security and crime-prevention? Why bother? That's the garmen's problem, what.

Is a low-crime society giving Singaporeans a false sense of security resulting in complacency? What are your views?

male7574

low crime in sg is because of population. If you take no. of US population and divide the crime and do that for sg. I don't think sg consider low crime

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
of cos low crime, how to catch criminals when the kayu police are either sleeping in their car in some hidden corner of the car park and worse they get outrun by a limp...:biggrin:

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
of cos low crime, how to catch criminals when the kayu police are either sleeping in their car in some hidden corner of the car park and worse they get outrun by a limp...:biggrin:

Well, just caught 1 sleeping arm folded on the front desk in a NPP when go to change address on my ic. :biggrin:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hv made many police reports over the years. None has been fedback to me or was successfully closed. When I enquired they take ages to respond, mostly saying it is still under investigation or the case is closed by authority of the CO....strange that he who initiated the report was never informed nor play a part in closing it.... What sort of system is this to hv the CO closing the case - I suspect when closed it counts as a sucessful case!! Betcha either WKS knows of such fuckup system or was party to it! No wonder past CP got so much time to screw around!!

aakumu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro,
compare to some countries, Singapore put them to shame; ie Thailand and Indonesia.

My humble two cents.

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is a low-crime society giving Singaporeans a false sense of security resulting in complacency? What are your views?

Just try going down the void deck late at night and you know you'll be the next crime victim pretty soon. :biggrin:

Angel.Janus

Alfrescian
Loyal

low crime rate gives a lot of S'poreans false sense of security...

when i was in UK studies, I had to wake up fast... within 2 weeks of sch, got 2 drunk students kena mugged in sch premises at night... learn to be street smart fast...

best thing, do like Mr Kiasu... Think Smart, Act Blur... plus Act Poor... :cool:

Sammy Redbook

Speaking as a frequent visitor to Singapore, I think it's the safest place I've visited. I live in U.S.A. in Silicon Valley. Gun violence is out of control over here. Gangsters roam freely knowing they are protected by misguided civil liberties. Other regions I've visited are even more violent, e.g. Brazil and Mexico.

When I'm in Singapore, I usually don't go to sleep until past 1AM so I go out, anywhere and everywhere, and don't feel the need to put on my "street" hat to feel safe.

I don't know what freedoms are being compromised for this level of security, but I doubt any law abiding person will miss it.

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Compare to many neighbouring countries with high crime rate, Sillypore should be not bad lah. :biggrin:

Of course then, we also must be careful and not too complacent lor. :smile:

The MilkMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
we must not be complacent and should just carry on doing it - that is to prevent crime and reduce it.

low crime is definitely not equal no crime...maybe some minor cases were dropped. but those crimes committed are serious crimes.

Pele

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore not too bad lah compared to our neighbours. But sometimes sinkie ppl take things for granted lah.