• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Discrimination shown by the government towards Singaporeans who study overseas

boyboyng77

This is a thought that I have for a long time and just want to express it on this forum. In recent weeks, I have read on various articles that the government is trying to discourage various forms of discrimination in the workplace. Examples: Cannot discriminate against pregnant ladies as they wish to promote procreation among Singaporeans. When placing job advertisements in the newspaper, they cannot include criteria like Only Chinese needs to apply.

When I read these, I feel that the government is being very hypocritical. I'm not sure if you notice, but if you look at the public sector, most of the jobs filled is by local graduates from NTU, SMU and NUS. To start off, I have a foreign degree in finance with very good grades. When I first started looking for a job a few years ago after graduating, I apply for jobs both in the public and private sectors. However, I did not manage to get any interviews request from the public sector. You may question if this is due to my inexperience. NOT TRUE!! I have a few friends who graduated from the local uni at the same time and we apply for the same jobs. Their results is pretty average but it seems that they manage to get interviews with a couple of them being offered a position!!!

This to me is discrimination at the highest!!! There seems to be an unspoken rule that if there is 2 person with equal ability in applying a government job, the preference is to select the one who graduated locally. Eventually, I manage to get a job in a foreign bank and when I check with my cohort a few months later, it seems none of my cohort has got a position in the public sector.

I will just like to hear if anyone out experience the same situation or feel the same way that I do. I'm not trying to say that local grads are not good or foreign students are better. All I'm trying to fight for is an equal opportunity for those who study overseas. I see that those who study overseas in the government sectors are those high fliers who get a scholarship. If you don't belong to this category, it's hard to get a job in the government.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure why you complaint about this matter.

It is a fact that the first priority for public sector is local graduates in order to fulfill the garment's propagenda on good demand for local U grads. That is unless you are sent to foreign U with scholarship by the Garment themselves. They will have to hire you even if you sucks on your result, too much pride to admit that they have made a mistake.

Anyway, its a good thing that the public sector only takes in local grads. For one thing, teachers with a degree at one point came from graduates who could not find a job. They were not wanted by the private sector. As far as I know, the private sector mostly take the better half of the manpower resources, and only the best can survive. For public sector, there is no competition, you virtually rot there and it will be a waste of your effort in getting a degree oversea.

You will definitely be more appreciated in the private than public sector.

singaforever

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really true. Got a lot of teachers who had graduated from foreign universities and they were recruited to be teachers in MOE, that's a civil service job too, rite?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really true. Got a lot of teachers who had graduated from foreign universities and they were recruited to be teachers in MOE, that's a civil service job too, rite?

I did said "at one point". During the recession, MOE openly recruit local grads due to shrinking job market. They used the teacher post to absorb the excess man power in Singapore. Many teachers I know can't wait to get out of the hell hole.

singaforever

Alfrescian
Loyal
I note your comment.

That's why the government is dangling the salary carrot. The new generation of teachers are in for the money only. There is no passion for the job. When they come for interview, the first two questions are: "How much is the pay? Can I have more?" They are in for the wrong reasons. The CS is recruiting officers with the wrong incentive, that's why many are leaving the service after only a few years, realising that salary is not proportionate to the pressure and amount of work.

Not many people know (or want to know) this, but working in the CS is as 'siong' as the private sector. Working hours are long, and we don't get paid for OT, which (for me) can be up to 11pm three times a week.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Care to share which foreign university you graduated from?

When I read these, I feel that the government is being very hypocritical. I'm not sure if you notice, but if you look at the public sector, most of the jobs filled is by local graduates from NTU, SMU and NUS. To start off, I have a foreign degree in finance with very good grades. When I first started looking for a job a few years ago after graduating, I apply for jobs both in the public and private sectors. However, I did not manage to get any interviews request from the public sector. .

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey,not all overseas' universities are good.
some of them just want to earn your money.

so before you study oversea,check on MOE site on those that are recognised here lor.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, you dont have to be upset.. your overseas degree comes with a PR :smile: if only you apply for it. I was from overseas too.. joined the Ministry years ago and was offered a pay or grade the same band with a Dept Head. So what wor...

What really matter is your ability to jump boat.. your overseas degree opens the door to the western worlds.. GO to whichever country is best for you and your family :smile:

Govt can discriminate your certificate in SG... But they cant take away your quality of life in the western world.. Cheers !

Gillette

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eventually, I manage to get a job in a foreign bank and when I check with my cohort a few months later, it seems none of my cohort has got a position in the public sector.

---------------------
You didn’t lose anything, and that’s probably the best career move you ever made. Many years from now when you look back, you will be so glad that you joined a bank instead of the government.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

Obviously Singapore government wants to screw up each and every Singaporean's lives !

Discriminate against Singaporeans with foreign degrees but encourage foreigners with foreign degrees ! This is screwing you both ways !

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
if your degree are from those universities that are not on the list of approved,then will have a bit of difficulties with civil service.
but those MNC should have no problem accepting it.

so before deciding which uni to go,it is better to do some research and decide which path you are going - public or private.

starless

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, its obvious that it got to do not just your degree's result ... but also your results when you were in SG studying and also the Uni you went .... we all know some Unis are only interested in $ and dont care two hoots what your exams also let you pass ... unless you tewll me you fm Ivy League and they rejected you , then maybe ..

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many foreign unis are not accepted by the govt because they have lower standards of academics - but it says nothing about the student and what he can become on his own of course. Only Ivy League and Oxbridge are considered favourably.

boyboyng77

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear of all the different opinions. Just to clarify, if given a choice, I will rather work in the private sector than the government. With regards to those foreign grads who work as teachers, my point is this: The government only considers the foreign grads as there is insufficient supply of local grads who want to get into this profession. In other word, the foreign grads will always be second choice and be given the leftover or unwanted jobs.

I feel in this instance, the government is being hypocritical when they tried to implement all the anti-discriminary policies in our life.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many foreign unis are not accepted by the govt because they have lower standards of academics - but it says nothing about the student and what he can become on his own of course. Only Ivy League and Oxbridge are considered favourably.
actually, it also depends wat we're comparing the curriculum too. there are plenty of courses that are provided abroad, with heritage/ reputation/ global recognition.... except the courses arent available in sg.

boyboyng77

Just for those who wish to know, I graduated from one of the best universities in Australia. Its ranking in those global survey is higher than NUS and NTU even though I have scant regards for these ranking.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As far as I know there is no policy to discriminate. As long as you are Singaporean, it matters little if you are foreign or local grad. The following however matters;
1) Name of foreign Uni
2) Discipline of Study
3) Grades
4) A Level or Poly Grades are also taken into condsideration.

PSC interview panel includes people who are not in the civil service.

Generally they are very strict for Sr Appointments where 2nd Upper equivalent to NTU/NUS is the minimum requirement. This is followed very religiously and most foreign uni except for oxbrige and Ivy League do not qualify.

Stat Board and GLC are not very strict on this rule.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a thought that I have for a long time and just want to express it on this forum. In recent weeks, I have read on various articles that the government is trying to discourage various forms of discrimination in the workplace. Examples: Cannot discriminate against pregnant ladies as they wish to promote procreation among Singaporeans. When placing job advertisements in the newspaper, they cannot include criteria like Only Chinese needs to apply.

When I read these, I feel that the government is being very hypocritical. I'm not sure if you notice, but if you look at the public sector, most of the jobs filled is by local graduates from NTU, SMU and NUS. To start off, I have a foreign degree in finance with very good grades. When I first started looking for a job a few years ago after graduating, I apply for jobs both in the public and private sectors. However, I did not manage to get any interviews request from the public sector. You may question if this is due to my inexperience. NOT TRUE!! I have a few friends who graduated from the local uni at the same time and we apply for the same jobs. Their results is pretty average but it seems that they manage to get interviews with a couple of them being offered a position!!!

This to me is discrimination at the highest!!! There seems to be an unspoken rule that if there is 2 person with equal ability in applying a government job, the preference is to select the one who graduated locally. Eventually, I manage to get a job in a foreign bank and when I check with my cohort a few months later, it seems none of my cohort has got a position in the public sector.

I will just like to hear if anyone out experience the same situation or feel the same way that I do. I'm not trying to say that local grads are not good or foreign students are better. All I'm trying to fight for is an equal opportunity for those who study overseas. I see that those who study overseas in the government sectors are those high fliers who get a scholarship. If you don't belong to this category, it's hard to get a job in the government.

Usually those who study overseas are those who are not good enough to study in a local university, let's not kid ourselves over this fact. Along with those who emigrate because they are usually not good enough to survive the high standards of the environment here. Also I stress that "friends and family" can only do so much for you underachieving failures.

And if you are not even good enough to complete the local education system here, you would be logically seen as no good. Or even useless. So why complain? This is clearly a non-issue. Even those low-tier neighborhood junior colleges are incredible dreams for you worthless animals that can't for the love of God string a sentence together much less cope with other human abilities like thinking and reasoning coherently and critically.