• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wall St. rattled by worries over mortgage giants

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wall St. rattled by worries over mortgage giants
Posted: 12 July 2008 0559 hrs

NEW YORK - Wall Street endured heavy losses Friday amid sustained worries over the financial health of two big mortgage-financing firms and lingering concerns about corporate earnings, traders said.

The downward spiral was led by Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae as fears mounted about the financial stability of the two firms, which help prop up the vast US mortgage market, amid a lingering housing market slump.

The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 128.48 points (1.14 percent) to close at 11,100.54.

The Nasdaq composite index shed 18.77 points (0.83 percent) to 2,239.08 and the Standard & Poor's 500 index declined 13.90 points (1.11 percent) to a close of 1,239.49.

Concern about their financial health has rippled through Wall Street because the two firms own or guarantee over five trillion dollars in loans, or about 40 percent of the total value of home loans in the United States.

AFter losing some 50 percent at the opening, Freddie Mac's shares ended down 3.1 percent at 7.75 dollars while Fannie Mae dived 22 percent to 10.25 dollars.

This is going to make ALL Americans admit they are really in recession.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
did not drop as much as I thought. Dow still closed at 11100.

But still happy with my gains in GLD and SLV though.
:smile:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dian sian, no more new post to read liao...

Only can reply, cannot start thread..

Sam, your forum from being the pioneer forums in SG now dying a slow and painful death liao...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dian sian, no more new post to read liao...

Only can reply, cannot start thread..

Sam, your forum from being the pioneer forums in SG now dying a slow and painful death liao...

I think his forum got hijacked. A couple of days ago I saw some advert in a new topic. After that this happen.