• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Open Letter to United States Congress

B

BLOODandURINE

28/07/2008
To members of Bring free speech/press to Singapore

I am writing on behalf of Gopalan Nair, an American citizen who is currently forcibly detained by the Singapore government for exercising his right to freedom of speech.

On May 29th, 2008, Mr. Nair published a blog entry criticizing Singapore judge Belinda Ang's biased handling of the high-profile case of democratic activist Dr. Chee Soon Juan v. authoritarian former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, during which she favored Lee and denied the defendant, Dr. Chee, a fair trial. In response to Nair's criticism of the judge on his blog, Singapore government officials arrested him on May 31 at the hotel where he was staying. He had been in Singapore since May 26th, and, prior to his arrest, had expected to return to his home in the United States on the third of June.

It is clear that Mr. Nair did not send Judge Belinda Ang any e-mails. He has stated that there was no need for him to do so, as he had expressed his opinion about Ang's actions on his blog, and did not have any desire to contact her personally. Rather, the Singapore government arrested him on an insubstantial charge of sending fantastical 'threatening emails' to a judge so that they could have an excuse to detain him. The Singapore government is keeping him in their custody and purposefully denying him the right to a speedy trial as they know that he has only American citizenship and cannot support himself financially on Singaporean soil; meanwhile, his work is being neglected in the U.S. On the Fourth of July they publicly escalated their aggression towards him; they sent plainclothes officers after him, who physically assualted him after he did not give them his name because he did not recognize them to be police. He is innocent of the official charges against him; as for the "crime" of criticising the government, yes, Mr. Nair is is guilty of that, but it also happens that his actions were protected under not only the United States Constitution, but also that of Singapore.

If the critic is not a Singapore national, the government of Singapore often dismisses their words as "foreign interference." Nair was born in Singapore but has relinquished his Singaporean citizenship and is an American citizen only. About this characterization of Nair's criticism, a cyber-activist based in Singapore who for his own safety goes by the name Singa Crew has this to say: "I for one do not consider his criticism to be 'foreign interference'. How could it be 'foreign interference' when the Singapore government routinely cite this and that award given by international bodies? Was it 'foreign inteference' only when criticism instead of praise was offered?" The government is here exposed as being duplicitous and dishonest in its treatment of dissidents, and never more so than when the protest comes from a citizen of a country that has leverage in Singapore, a nation that Singapore does business with, a nation whose presentation Singapore tries to imitate and make into a façade to show the world.

Singapore––a nation that is considered to be first-world––has carefully cultivated an image of freedom and progressiveness, but the practical reality is that Singapore's government is authoritarian and resistant to popular sovereignty, and as such it censures anyone who advocates democracy and greater freedom; in the process of censuring these individuals, it uses corrupt and unconstitutional procedures; when someone, such as Nair, points out the unfairness of the proceedings, he or she is penalized as well.

The United States is part of a collection of Western nations that value democratic ideals and civil liberties. Although the issue of how and when our government should intervene in cases of human rights abuses is a hotly contested one, it is fair to say in this particular instance that, as the Singapore administration is not following its own constitution, Singapore is a developed, capitalist, modern nation with which the United States has influence and ties, and Mr. Nair is an American citizen, the United States can and should intervene on his behalf, and on the behalf of advocates of freedom and democracy everywhere. The activist known as Singa Crew has said, "Mr Nair is a true son of Singapore and America because he lives up to the ideals of justice and freedom enshrined in both the Singapore and American constitutions."

Whatever your stance as regards the amount of sovereignty Singapore should have over its people, Mr. Nair is an American citizen, and as such is entitled to all of the rights that the United States' jurisdiction in Singapore may provide. It is the request of myself, and believers in freedom everywhere, that Gopalan Nair come home to the States as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Amelia Fedo
(847) 869-7743
[email protected]

http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/

sgczar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cut the crap. Want to get the green card from the USA also no need to carry their balls until like that la.

Though I am no pappy supporter, I still think that coward deserves what he gets; got the guts, follow what that though idiotic but stupidly brave CSJ did, stay and fight; not run to another country then come back to his former home to criticise thinking he is god now that he is no longer a sinkie.

I spit on this kind of people.. they deserve no pity from me. PHUI!

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Angkat big time!!! Hey buddy, easier to go to Mexico and run across the border to get Green card lah!

A

Alu862

She forgot to mention that Gopalan insulted all PRC citizens and writes radical nonsense.

Both McCain and Obama will read this hopeless letter though. Will they support Gopalan, who was never born on US soil?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
a totally one-sided and bias comment that is unfair and hides many things that gopanlan had done as well as hide the comment and opinion of many others.
if this is democracy we r looking at, i would say this is what political prpaganda at work is all abt.

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr. Nair is an American citizen, and as such is entitled to all of the rights that the United States' jurisdiction in Singapore may provide.

Kanlinnabu ae juciy peach!, American citizen come here is cry father and mother, when didn't he kaupei to Bush those in Guantarmara prisoner about their right !!!!

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you misunderstand the situation sgczar. This letter to Congress was written by an American college girl. She is already an American citizen. And I am afraid you have been misinformed if you thought that writing letters to Congressmen can get you a green card. America is not like Singapore where a 'foreign talent' can write a letter praising the PAP to the Straits Times and be lauded as a respectable citizen.

You said you are no pappy supporter, yet you sing their tunes well enough.

And who are you calling a coward? I think Gopalan Nair is a man who believes strongly in doing the right thing and speaking out against injustice. Altruistic, not idiotic.

Crew

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi tiulehloumoh... didn't mean to be rude, but since you put that down as your user name...

Yes, Mr Nair is now an American citizen. In fact, I couldn’t help noticing how many capable Opposition candidates were forced to flee the country and take up foreign citizenship. Anyway, as I was saying, Mr Nair may be an American citizen now but he grew up in Singapore. I am sure it pains him to see the rampant injustice in the country of his birth. So he did the right thing and spoke out against the judiciary.

Even if he weren’t a Singaporean originally, why should he keep quiet about the abuses of human rights in Singapore just because President Bush’s actions disagree with you - a Singaporean? As a citizen of a powerful nation like USA, Mr Nair has a certain level of immunity against the PAP. Let me remind you that the PAP has never won a defamation suit outside of Singapore. Therefore, by speaking out against the PAP on our behalf, Mr Nair is exercising the code of chivalry - helping those weaker than himself. I have no illusions what would happen to ME - a mere Singaporean - were I to criticise the PAP like that. Probably dragged off to some ISD cell and kept under closer watch than Mas Selamat.

Crew

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also, I would like to remind those detractors and propagandists of the PAP that they are acting like ungrateful jerks.

Many PAP ministers, MPs and civil servants owe their head starts in their careers to their degrees obtained from American universities. I believe our Senior Minister himself was educated in the USA, was he not? And even now as PAP propagandists are coming out and criticising America, many sons and daughters of PAP leaders are enjoying their college years in the USA.

So let me get this straight… On the one hand, Americans are bright and competent enough to educate the future leaders of Singapore, BUT they fall short when it comes offering constructive criticisms about our judiciary and political system?

Also, on the one hand, the PAP leaders are sending their offsprings to American universities, but on the other hand a very senior PAP leader said there’s a international conspiracy to do us in. Should we be worried? Should we recall our elites in case they get ‘done in’?

In conclusion, 2 words. Double Standards.

Crew

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
double standard,not only happen here.
it happens at all places even in those communist country and those who called themselves democratic and freedom countries also.

A

Alu862

Mr. Nair is NOT A true American at heart. He only took up citizenship to gain so called protection (which at present, he does not seem to be getting). He is fortunate enough to witness trials--which North Korean dissident is allowed to fly back home to witness the trial of his friend?

Mr. has not show ANY support for America at all but onyl concerns himself with writing radical statements on his site such as PRC Chiense are spies for their government. Is this the kind of person the US Congress should support?

PS. Have you ever wondered why, from President Johnson to President Bush, Singapore hs not received one word of condemnation from America?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
28/07/2008
To members of Bring free speech/press to Singapore

I am writing on behalf of Gopalan Nair,Sincerely,

Amelia Fedo
(847) 869-7743
[email protected]

http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/
Dear Amelia

Thank you for your letter to my colleaques and me. It is truly heart warming to see that a mere child like you has taken the trouble to write to us about another American. After a chat with my senior colleaques in the anteroom of the Office of the Right Honourable Kismydick Anmyas, it was felt that an honest answer would be the right thing to do.

Many years ago, before you were born, our former colony, the Philippines of MacArthur fame, booted us out of Subic Bay Naval Station and Clarke Air Force Base. The 7th Fleet suddenly had no home in a region that had a major shipping channel to our close Allies the Koreans and the Japanese. That foothold happens to be in the religiously touchy area of South East Asia which in Political Geography terms is called the "Sea of Malays" holding the largest population of Muslims in the world.

As luck would have it, there in the midst of it stands our salvation - a little red dot measuring 44 by 24 km ( sorry they switched to metric there) called Singapore. Ruled by a despot, who speaks queens english, educated in the ways of the west and more importantly a practical man not stifled by unnecessary principles or redundant values. A man with a commercial sense and I guess cents as well.

To cut a long story short, we now have full size berth for the largest aircraft carrier, submarine pens for our sized undersea behemoths and first rate crew quarters. There is also a rotating squadron of Eagles that has become part of the landscale. These are not known to the wider world because journalism as I understand is considered a sin in that country.

You will probably get the picture now. Do we offend the queens english speaking tinpot for a chap who you and I can't tell from Adam. And lose a magnificent berth build for us as they clearly don't need an aircraft carrier.

We lost Subic Bay and we are certainly not going to lose Changi.

The good news is that I have spoken to Condi who tells me that we have accorded that gentleman all the necessary support that is given to all american citizens even if they are axe murderers while on foreign soil. Thats seems to have done the trick because that tiny country does not look after their citizens while abroad and so the citizens who are not worldly flipped over with delight when our colleagues from our embassy popped over to the Police station and courts to support the gentleman. He probabaly will get his arse rimmed but the fact remains that we were there in spirit.

Sincerely
Kismyas Ansuckmydick

A

Alu862

Dear Amelia

Thank you for your letter to my colleaques and me. It is truly heart warming to see that a mere child like you has taken the trouble to write to us about another American. After a chat with my senior colleaques in the anteroom of the Office of the Right Honourable Kismydick Anmyas, it was felt that an honest answer would be the right thing to do.

Many years ago, before you were born, our former colony, the Philippines of MacArthur fame, booted us out of Subic Bay Naval Station and Clarke Air Force Base. The 7th Fleet suddenly had no home in a region that had a major shipping channel to our close Allies the Koreans and the Japanese. That foothold happens to be in the religiously touchy area of South East Asia which in Political Geography terms is called the "Sea of Malays" holding the largest population of Muslims in the world.

As luck would have it, there in the midst of it stands our salvation - a little red dot measuring 44 by 24 km ( sorry they switched to metric there) called Singapore. Ruled by a despot, who speaks queens english, educated in the ways of the west and more importantly a practical man not stifled by unnecessary principles or redundant values. A man with a commercial sense and I guess cents as well.

To cut a long story short, we now have full size berth for the largest aircraft carrier, submarine pens for our sized undersea behemoths and first rate crew quarters. There is also a rotating squadron of Eagles that has become part of the landscale. These are not known to the wider world because journalism as I understand is considered a sin in that country.

You will probably get the picture now. Do we offend the queens english speaking tinpot for a chap who you and I can't tell from Adam. And lose a magnificent berth build for us as they clearly don't need an aircraft carrier.

We lost Subic Bay and we are certainly not going to lose Changi.

The good news is that I have spoken to Condi who tells me that we have accorded that gentleman all the necessary support that is given to all american citizens even if they are axe murderers while on foreign soil. Thats seems to have done the trick because that tiny country does not look after their citizens while abroad and so the citizens who are not worldly flipped over with delight when our colleagues from our embassy popped over to the Police station and courts to support the gentleman. He probabaly will get his arse rimmed but the fact remains that we were there in spirit.

Sincerely
Kismyas Ansuckmydick

This is so bang spot on correct. Amelia, perhaps you could convince Obama or McCain directly. See which one seems to take pity on dear Gopalan (if there is any possibility of that happening) and vote him in

Siv

I'm an American, born and raised. I'm actually keenly interested in what's happening in Singapore's political environment these days, because it's analogous to what's going on in my own embarrassing country with my own idiot president... And I have Sinkie friends in Singapore who have trouble sleeping at night because of the current dictatorial regime. I'm trying to help them get out of Singapore while I'm trying to get out of America.

For any sane, ethical creature, this whole incident with Mr. Nair boils down to a question of justice and human rights; however, since the economy is god, justice is what you can pay for, and humans are arrogant, myopic, and greedy, everyone's too busy sucking each other dry like vampires to bother with any such questions.

This is why I'm trying move to a tiny nation in the south pacific where I can at least avoid most of the nukes when all you crazy bastards finally decide you're done putting up with each other. If more of us who have an internal compass and a sense of fair justice happen to survive, than those who are preoccupied with their wallets, self-esteem and cynicism, then perhaps some day we'll finally get off this orbiting dirt-clod called Earth, and bother to do something greater than what our history of geopolitical conquest and atrocity predicts.

Until then, Sinkies will be getting what they deserve from their government, and Americans will be getting what they deserve from theirs, and God help us all if we ever let anyone take charge of the globe (*waves sheepishly at China*).

Just sayin'.

-t-

A

Alu862

Is Gopalan Nair truly American or just using America as his shield? Do you see dissidents from Zimbawe or other countries calling PRC citizens as spies? Proclaiming that China and Singapore are never developed?--Economists have long proclaimed otherwise?

Why should the American Congress support this radical?

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
U think the united shit of americunt will give a shit about a insignificant shitizen like Nair...Bush is more then pleased with all the fellatio he has been getting from the pappies, he can't be bother with the rights of Nair just as he doesn't give a damn about the rights of the Iraqis...

A

Alu862

Gopalan Nair's case is no different from the US Secret Servie interrogating several teenagers in America who posted death threats to President Bush. Google this or serach on Youtube.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gopalan Nair's case is no different from the US Secret Servie interrogating several teenagers in America who posted death threats to President Bush. Google this or serach on Youtube.

Or Guantanomo Bay, for that matter.

Pragmatism rules. US needs Changi Naval Base and the RSAF bases, and S'pore as their strategic base for "balance of power" in this region against China.

GN can only hope for a lighter sentence and deportation back to US as a consolation.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also, I would like to remind those detractors and propagandists of the PAP that they are acting like ungrateful jerks.

Many PAP ministers, MPs and civil servants owe their head starts in their careers to their degrees obtained from American universities. I believe our Senior Minister himself was educated in the USA, was he not? And even now as PAP propagandists are coming out and criticising America, many sons and daughters of PAP leaders are enjoying their college years in the USA.

So let me get this straight… On the one hand, Americans are bright and competent enough to educate the future leaders of Singapore, BUT they fall short when it comes offering constructive criticisms about our judiciary and political system?

Also, on the one hand, the PAP leaders are sending their offsprings to American universities, but on the other hand a very senior PAP leader said there’s a international conspiracy to do us in. Should we be worried? Should we recall our elites in case they get ‘done in’?

In conclusion, 2 words. Double Standards.

Crew

Hey Crew,

Finding a whole different ball game here ain't it. Don't expect to find Ahsayman(s) and Solo Bear(s) in every joint. Hope you can now appreciate that.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'm an American, born and raised. I'm actually keenly interested in what's happening in Singapore's political environment these days, because it's analogous to what's going on in my own embarrassing country with my own idiot president...

I think your President is great. He's the kind of guy who shoots first and asks questions later. It's the attitude that made your country the best in the world despite all its faults.

US Presidents don't have to be smart or articulate. All they need to be is decisive!

It's those bleeding liberals and their support for gay marriages, funding to support Al Gore's pack of lies and various other touchy feely initiatives that will bring the US to its knees.

Give me a gun toting REPUBLICAN any day!:biggrin: If there's one who has the balls to NUKE Iran, so much the better.:wink: