• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ComfortDelGro taxis to impose 30—cent surcharge from July 17

J

Jacker007

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20080711/tap-729-comfortdelgro-taxis-impose-30-ce-231650b.html

From July 17, passengers on Comfort and CityCab taxis will have to pay a 30—cent surcharge per journey. Wah lau wei. Just increase cab fare and now this!

I think this move will not be good for commuters nor cab drivers. The last round of increase, i heard from many drivers that biz hard hit. Will the increase deter you guys from taking cab? If you happen to be a cab driver, please express your view too.

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are other countries that do the same to be honest.

If I am not wrong, you need to pay a $1 extra in Guangzhou when you take a taxi there.

I am not objecting to the 30 cents surcharge since thats a fixed charge and not like the 30% type. However I am supportive of the idea of doing away with the call booking charge.

It will help to resolve 2 issues
1) Taxi wont need to wander around aimlessly and thus wasting petrol
2) It will help (not entirely) in the demand and supply issue.

However I dont think the current taxi call booking system can handle a zero cost call booking solution :smile:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dis yr i onot took taxi 3x... so i guess it's still alrite. :biggrin:

The damaging 1 are the hike in bus and mrt fare... It's permanent even if oil price fall.... Time to consider cycling to work instead. :biggrin:

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is all due to the constant increase of the oil's price.
we cannot do much about it.

look like whoever come-up with solutions to replace oil will be the next BIG winner.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is all due to the constant increase of the oil's price.
we cannot do much about it.

look like whoever come-up with solutions to replace oil will be the next BIG winner.

Well there is the electric car and gas powered one. Too bad our govt not doing much to increase their usage here. Let's hope water power becomes a reality soon!

BIGBIRD8888

lucky this time round they say the 30 cent will stop if oil price drop. Else everytime they just kept increase but never revert back the price even if oil drop.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
lucky this time round they say the 30 cent will stop if oil price drop. Else everytime they just kept increase but never revert back the price even if oil drop.

Only problem is they did not specify how much the price of oil must drop. On another note, it is not likely that prices will drop drastically anytime soon. :( We are soooo screwed.

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only problem is they did not specify how much the price of oil must drop. On another note, it is not likely that prices will drop drastically anytime soon. :( We are soooo screwed.

they did specific @ $1.19 per liltre the surcharge will b removed! the prob is when will diesel drop back to $1.19 per litre??:mad:

terror03

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now the disel price keeps going up & if these keep going, we the consumers are going to feel the heat of paying extra. Sign...:(, everything price also goes up, even the growth dividend & gst offset package cannot help much...

slyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is bad news for me coz i took cab very often. my monthly cab fare is $100+ . the news stated that the 30cents surcharge will be removed when the fuel price dropped but i doubt so

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oil prices top US$147 on Iran, dollar concerns

LONDON - Oil prices rocketed to record highs above 147 US dollars on Friday as traders seized on the weak US currency and tensions over Iran and Nigeria at the end of a very volatile trading week.

London's Brent North Sea oil for August delivery jumped as high as 147.50 US dollars to beat the previous record of 146.69 US dollars set on July 3.

New York's main oil contract, light sweet crude for August, also topped 147 US dollars for the first time to reach a historic 147.21 US dollars.

Oil prices swept back into record territory after the European single currency leapt as high as 1.5913 dollars -- not far off the historic peak of 1.6019 that was hit on April 22.

The weak dollar boosts demand for dollar-priced oil which becomes cheaper for buyers using stronger currencies, analysts said.

"Crude futures continued to rally today (Friday), extending their gains from yesterday on renewed geopolitical and supply fears," said Sucden analyst Andrey Kryuchenkov.

"As ever, the market remains very sensitive to any potential supply disruptions and geopolitical tensions," he added.

Oil rallied by almost six US dollars on Thursday on the back of simmering geopolitical tensions over key producer Iran and worries over stretched global crude supplies, traders said.

Oil had dived below 140 US dollars on Monday as a result of a then strengthening US currency, underlining the extreme volatility that the market is currently experiencing.

On Friday, traders continued to track Iran, which is OPEC's second-biggest crude oil producer with output of about 4.0 million barrels per day.

The White House played down the risk of war between Iran and the United States, despite Iranian missile tests and some tough talk by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Rice warned Iran that Washington had beefed up its security presence in the Gulf and would not hesitate to defend its ally Israel.

Iran insists its nuclear drive is aimed solely at generating energy but some Western nations fear it could be aimed at making an atomic bomb and have called for a freeze of uranium enrichment.

OPEC would not be able to replace Iran's oil production if supplies were halted in case of a war with Israel or the United States, the oil cartel's chief has said.

In crude producer Nigeria, meanwhile, kidnappers seized at least one foreigner working for a German company in the restive Niger Delta oil region, a police source said on Friday.

The delta has seen numerous kidnappings targeting foreign energy firms, claimed by militants who demand a greater share of the oil wealth for the region's inhabitants.

Violence in the southern delta region has already reduced Nigeria's total oil production by a quarter since January 2006.

Record oil prices have sparked protests worldwide as people struggle to cope with soaring costs of energy. - AFP/ir

Its nice for them to fix a price but I doubt the price will go back down. Sigh.
Kindda agreed on tis 1. Oil price drop?? Yeah then shoot up again :rolleyes:

Last edited:

techiedick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I for one has stop taking taxis during the peak hours, dun want to pay the 35% surcharge.

But for the 30 cents surcharge is reasonable. I dun mind paying it.

Taxi Drivers are people with family too, mostly at least in their 30s, and also because they cant get jobs anywhere esle.

I chat with them during the rides, take home has drop drastically now cos of fuel increases.

Lets be more understanding.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taxi Drivers are people with family too, mostly at least in their 30s, and also because they cant get jobs anywhere esle.

I chat with them during the rides, take home has drop drastically now cos of fuel increases.

Lets be more understanding.

True higher prices will only hurt ridership. The best way is how to reduce costs! Oddly enough govt seems to have forgotten tht Taxis are a mode of public transport!

shrek2

Alfrescian
Loyal
taxi drivers have their families to feed too, surely they feel the pinch worse than us as they have to drive rain or shine, with off days being days when they still get penalised with their rentals, no medical leave or hospitalisation benefits. they even get screwed by their companies and lose their security deposit should they be involved in an accident, even if it isn't really their fault. on the receiving end of passengers who may not always be reasonable, at risk of robbery, driving long hours also is detrimental to health. i say give them a break.

the people in my mind who are truly responsible for the cost of "public" transport are the taxi companies. they earn their piece of meat rain or shine, 365 days a year, from the poor blokes who hire their cars. to my knowledge, the largest company here has not lowered its rentals despite many appeals to do so. i believe it is because they have to answer to their shareholders. too much at work here behind the scene that i do not see completely. but i certainly see how the taxi drivers have to suffer. my own old man had to drive it once, long ago.

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sigh, I cant understand, these taxi company policies makers aren't down to earth. I bet they have not taken a taxi for years!

Else they wont be making stupid decision like the 30% surcharge .

Like most bro here, my hearts goes to the most taxi drivers who are struggling hard to earn a living. But I have personally seen others who tout or drive their Merc taxi to night spots to show off to the gals instead of serving the public! :mad: