• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTU student Cheryl Tan committed suicide

T

Tadakatsu Honda

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/0...cide-by-jumping-from-her-flat/comment-page-1/

NTU student Cheryl Tan committed suicide by jumping from her flat

January 12, 2010 by admin
Filed under Review

Written by Our Correspondent

A NTU student by the name of Cheryl Tan committed suicide by jumping from her flat at Ang Mo Kio yesterday. Currently a third year student of Chinese Literature at NTU, Cheryl was described by her neighbors as a quiet girl who excelled in her students.

It is suspected that she may have ended her life due to stress over her studies. Her parents were shocked when they saw her body and broke down crying. Cheryl was a reporter for The Nanyang Chronicles and was an active member of NTU’s Chinese Literacy Club.

Last year March, an Indonesian student David Widjaja plunged to his death from seven storeys high up at NTU’s School of Electrical and Electronic engineering after allegedly stabbing his professor. A week later, his senior Zhou Zheng hanged himself in an apartment at NTU. The cause of his suicide remains a mystery to this very day.

News source: Lianhe Wanbao

T

Tadakatsu Honda

Close friend of NTU student Cheryl Tan Qiwei disputes claims by state media that she committed suicide due to “stress” in her school work

January 13, 2010 by admin
Filed under Headlines

Written by Our Correspondent

A close friend of NTU student Cheryl Tan Qiwei who shocked the NTU fraternity by jumping to her death from her flat three days ago had written to us to dispute the claims by the state media that she committed suicide due to “stress” in her school work.

Chinese evening newspaper Lianhe Wanbao speculated yesterday that Cheryl might have ended her life because of “stress”. According to her close friend who wishes to remain anonymous, Cheryl has been “depressed” for quite some time, but she declined to reveal the real reasons behind her low mood.

“She (Cheryl) has a very gloomy outlook on her life and is pessimistic about everything though she tries to put up a facade of being happy and cheerful in front of others. I notice that she suddenly closed up in the last few days. It is so difficult to talk to her and I blame myself for not spending more time with her.”

Her account was corroborated by another friend of Cheryl who recounted what a senior in Cheryl’s cell group told her:

“A senior of her in the sharing group said that she knows, when Cheryl is not smiling, it means that something really happened. I sensed that this girl had things troubling her really badly. A very tormented soul – that what left an impression in me, at that point of time..and that’s how I could recall.”

[Source: 24hr Porky Love]

She also dismissed the Wanbao’s claims as “pure rubbish”:
“Cheryl was an excellent student who never encountered any problems in her school work. I hope the media can put a stop all these meaningless speculations and leave her family and friends alone in peace.”

Apparently, some SPH reporters had been trying to contact Cheryl’s grieving parents and friends for an interview over the past two days.
Another friend of Cheryl left a comment on our site:

“I’m an acquaintance of Cheryl. Feel shocked and sad at her loss, and made me rethink about my life. The last time I’ve chatted with her, we were still discussing about our future and the profession we’re going to enter. This news affected a few of my friends as well. Suicide is still a personal decision, no matter what are the factors. You’ll be missed, Cheryl.”

The Singapore media has the knack of propagating wild speculations about such suicide cases. Last year, the media attributed the suicides of NTU student David Widjaja and SAF Medical Officer Dr Allan Ooi to “over-indulgence in computer games, relationship problems and addiction to gambling”, causing much distress, agony and anger to their families. In 1986, then National Development Minister Teh Chean Wan committed suicide before he could be formally charged in court for corrupted practices. He maintained till the end that he was innocent. Both the English and Chinese papers published only a short article about the case. There were no speculations about the “story” behind his suicide which had been circulating around.

T

Tadakatsu Honda

2 students die in fortnight

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 26, 2010

2 students die in fortnight

<!-- by line --> By Mavis Toh

TWO women undergraduates from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are believed to have killed themselves within a fortnight of each other. Both were found lying motionless at the foot of Housing Board blocks - one in Ang Mo Kio and the other in Toh Guan Road. Miss Cheryl Tan Qiwei, 22, was a fourth-year student majoring in Chinese and communication studies, while Miss Gan Junru, 21, was a civil engineering student. The Straits Times understands that Miss Tan had told her parents she was feeling depressed on Jan 11. She was found dead at the foot of Block 431, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 later that day. Interviewed on Tuesday, 15 days after her death, her mother, a housewife who did not want to be named, would only say that her daughter was a good student and it was unlikely she had been stressed about school. She declined to say more.

Read the full report in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.

Orion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: 2 students die in fortnight

The Papaya forced her to sucide because she had discovered their secrets.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am touched that the friend blamed herself for not spending time with Cheryl Tan but I want to say something and ask you guys as well.

I have friends who are always pessimistic and sometimes suicidal. We spend time and effort cheering them up but to no avail. We all have our own lives to live. How to justify to wife + parents that we are spending so much time on one individual? We also want to help other people and not just one individual who is attention seeking.

Any comments?

jw5

Loyal
I am touched that the friend blamed herself for not spending time with Cheryl Tan but I want to say something and ask you guys as well.

I have friends who are always pessimistic and sometimes suicidal. We spend time and effort cheering them up but to no avail. We all have our own lives to live. How to justify to wife + parents that we are spending so much time on one individual? We also want to help other people and not just one individual who is attention seeking.

Any comments?
You won't really know whether a person is simply attention-seeking or really needs help, until he actually commits suicide and dies. By then, it would be too late.
Even a person who attempts suicide and doesn't die, you won't know if he is attention-seeking or not, since he may have "held back" on the attempt to get attention.

But in my opinion, we should try and understand the reasons for the pessimism and the suicidal thoughts. And try to address the reasons accordingly. Most reasons are invalid and all efforts should be made to reason these out.
If the person is unable to articulate the reasons or there are actually no discernible reasons, it's time for the professionals to take over, because we laymen cannot do anything to help.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal

Any comments?

Why does cheering people up ensure that they will not commit suicide? In fact, it's the opposite.

Suicidal people love to negate others when others cheer them up. That was what happened to my cousin. They will always act the opposite of what you want them to be.

You try to cheer him up --> he will act even more glum or unhappy. Or if he really like the attention, he will cheer up then act glum when the attention goes away.

Those who say they wanna kill themselves, never commit suicide --> according to my aunt.

In the end, cousin killed himself. After a long time where people never pay him attention anymore.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
You won't really know whether a person is simply attention-seeking or really needs help, until he actually commits suicide and dies. By then, it would be too late.
Even a person who attempts suicide and doesn't die, you won't know if he is attention-seeking or not, since he may have "held back" on the attempt to get attention.

But in my opinion, we should try and understand the reasons for the pessimism and the suicidal thoughts. And try to address the reasons accordingly. Most reasons are invalid and all efforts should be made to reason these out.
If the person is unable to articulate the reasons or there are actually no discernible reasons, it's time for the professionals to take over, because we laymen cannot do anything to help.

Professionals are not always the best people to help. Friends and relatives are better. There are many people who kill themselves despite professional help.

Have you ever accompanied a troubled person to see a psychiatrist? If you are perfectly sane and not depressed, you'd be amazed at what they tell the depressed person. :biggrin:

Tell you this -- a friend's aunt was depressed for a long time. Then she got cancer. And her depression went away for good. :biggrin:

Another friend's uncle was depressed. That went away when he got himself a PRC meimei gf. :biggrin:

So it really depends on what that person is depressed about.

My thoughts go out with those born with maniac depression. That's totally different.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Professionals are not always the best people to help. Friends and relatives are better. There are many people who kill themselves despite professional help.

Have you ever accompanied a troubled person to see a psychiatrist? If you are perfectly sane and not depressed, you'd be amazed at what they tell the depressed person. :biggrin:

Tell you this -- a friend's aunt was depressed for a long time. Then she got cancer. And her depression went away for good. :biggrin:

Another friend's uncle was depressed. That went away when he got himself a PRC meimei gf. :biggrin:

So it really depends on what that person is depressed about.

My thoughts go out with those born with maniac depression. That's totally different.

So rabbit, what are you suffering from? Do giving blowjobs prevent your sanity from going loose? :smile: