• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SM Goh confident PAP will eventually win back Hougang

A

AhJL

SM Goh confident PAP will eventually win back Hougang
By S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 26 July 2008 2156 hrs

SINGAPORE : Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has said Singapore's political system should facilitate the emergence of a strong, effective government after every election and a responsible, constructive opposition.

Mr Goh was speaking at the National Day Dinner of the opposition-held ward of Hougang on Saturday.

His key message at the dinner was that the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) must continue to produce results which make people's lives better.

He also said the PAP must never lose the people's trust as this is the ruling party's recipe for the continued success of Singapore.

Mr Goh said that is why he is confident of eventually winning Hougang back from the opposition.

Mr Goh was in the thick of action in the opposition-held ward of Hougang during the last general election in 2006.

Returning for this year's National Day celebrations, Mr Goh noted that the opposition parliamentarian for the area since 1991, Low Thia Khiang, believes his job is just to ask questions and check the ruling party, but not to offer solutions to problems.

Mr Goh said this is a rather narrow view of the role of an opposition. And the Senior Minister has thrown a challenge to the advisor and grassroots leaders of the Hougang division - to keep its incumbent Mr Low on his toes.

Mr Goh said, "Amongst the things you can do... I suggest you study the annual accounts of the town council to ensure that the funds are properly used. Check whether the arrears for S&C (service and conservancy) charges are piling up, and eating into their reserves. Make sure that enough money is put aside for cyclical maintenance.

"In your walkabouts, check on the estate maintenance. If Mr Low has done a good job, give him credit for it. If there are deficiencies, point them out to the residents. In short, play the role of an effective opposition in Hougang."

He noted, "Eventually, I believe we will win Hougang back, but whether we do or not, I think (we should) serve the people. That's what we are here for."

Mr Goh noted that the people living in the opposition ward know that they have benefited from government policies. But many also think that there should be an opposition to keep the ruling party on its toes.

The Senior Minister said, "Ideally, our political system should facilitate the emergence of a strong, effective government after every election and a responsible, constructive opposition.

"But no matter how you design it, there is no guarantee, because it depends on whether good, honest and competent people come forward to stand for elections and the wisdom of the electorate when they cast their ballot.

"So there's a natural tendency - which I can appreciate of some people wanting to have a voice, not belonging to the party, not belonging to the PAP - to check and balance the PAP. That's understandable because people want to debate issues, they want to have their views expressed in Parliament."

So Mr Goh said the ruling party's primary task before the next election, which is due by 2011, is to look for good candidates.

He said, "In India, the world's largest democracy, several criminals have been elected into Parliament and some are serving jail terms, including one convicted murderer who is waiting for his appeal to be heard.

"But recently, they were brought out to vote because a confidence motion on the government was hanging in the balance. They were of course then returned to jail. But can you imagine MPs with criminal records holding the future of Singapore in their hands?"

So the Senior Minister hopes the opposition too would look for good candidates so voters will be given a real choice. - CNA/ms

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Eventually, I believe we will win Hougang back, but whether we do or not, I think (we should) serve the people. That's what we are here for."

The question is WHEN will it happen:wink:..Once the electorate's trust in the ruling party has been shattered, it will take ions to heal.....PP is a classic example:biggrin:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once the electorate's trust in the ruling party has been shattered, it will take ions to heal.....PP is a classic example:biggrin:

You said it! We are sick and fed up of those fat cats growing fat at public expenses and making things so complicated.

Last edited:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question is WHEN will it happen:wink:..Once the electorate's trust in the ruling party has been shattered, it will take ions to heal.....PP is a classic example:biggrin:

No need to worry. It will happen because Potong Pasir and Hougang are personality based opposition wards i.e. Potong Pasir is Chiam See Tong not SPP and Hougang is Low Thia Kiang not WP. So when they leave, the wards will go back to PAP.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need to worry....Potong Pasir is Chiam See Tong not SPP and Hougang is Low Thia Kiang not WP. So when they leave, the wards will go back to PAP.

I'm not worried lah!!!:p..Just waiting on the sidelines to see it happen....??when??when??:biggrin:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need to worry. It will happen because Potong Pasir and Hougang are personality based opposition wards i.e. Potong Pasir is Chiam See Tong not SPP and Hougang is Low Thia Kiang not WP. So when they leave, the wards will go back to PAP.

I hope they are already grooming their successors over there! Because what you say is correct. Chiam See Tong is getting on in years and his health is not so good anymore. I hate to see his legacy go after him. :(

jacobsgoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
SM Goh is telling the truth.
Hougang and/or Potong Pasir will surely be recaptured be pap by vote or by force [deprive those wards of MRT/bus service, postal service, reduce water pressure, no constant electric supply] these are some of the things lky and thugs can do to force people to vote for pap.

wallace

Alfrescian
Loyal
SM Goh is telling the truth.
Hougang and/or Potong Pasir will surely be recaptured be pap by vote or by force [deprive those wards of MRT/bus service, postal service, reduce water pressure, no constant electric supply] these are some of the things lky and thugs can do to force people to vote for pap.

Quite true. Potong Pasir will be the first to fall. SDA is totally inactive. There plenty of activity in SDP and WP. After Chiam for sure, Potong Pasir will fall. Maybe even earlier, if the people of Potong Pasir no longer give face to Chiam. To tell the truth, what has Chiam really done for the opposition? Then, yes - he brought in 3 more MPs. Now, nothing. I'll vote for some young blood. Same thing goes for Hougang. Low seems to be only contented with himself. I think Singapore needs some young blood. But not those shitheads like Yaw etc. One of the best contender is Uncle Yap. He's sure to win a seat. Please don't bankrupt yourself yet.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
He also said the PAP must never lose the people's trust as this is the ruling party's recipe for the continued success of Singapore.

Little does he know that the trust is being eroded by people like him.

Mr Goh said that is why he is confident of eventually winning Hougang back from the opposition.

He was so confident when he promised a swiss standard of living when he was PM - aka seat warmer.

Mr Goh was in the thick of action in the opposition-held ward of Hougang during the last general election in 2006.

And PAP lost by a bigger margin because of him.

Returning for this year's National Day celebrations, Mr Goh noted that the opposition parliamentarian for the area since 1991, Low Thia Khiang, believes his job is just to ask questions and check the ruling party, but not to offer solutions to problems.

Providing solutions is the job for those who think they are the best and think they are worth the millions. If everbody is expected offer solutions then the deadwoods just twiddle their thumbs? So why are we paying the paying the deadwoods millions?

Mr Goh said, "Amongst the things you can do... I suggest you study the annual accounts of the town council to ensure that the funds are properly used. Check whether the arrears for S&C (service and conservancy) charges are piling up, and eating into their reserves. Make sure that enough money is put aside for cyclical maintenance.

He thinks everyone is a retard and computer illiterate like him not able to surf the net to look into HG Town Council's accounts on the web.

He noted, "Eventually, I believe we will win Hougang back, but whether we do or not, I think (we should) serve the people. That's what we are here for."

Is he having wet dreams again? How is he serving the people of HG who are deprived of government funds by his own political party.

But no matter how you design it, there is no guarantee, because it depends on whether good, honest and competent people come forward to stand for elections and the wisdom of the electorate when they cast their ballot.

He is right about one thing though. The electorate is getting wise to what they are there for. They certainly are not there to serve the people. So it boils down to the question of not when the electorate cast their ballot but if they are even given a chance to cast their ballot.

He said, "In India, the world's largest democracy, several criminals have been elected into Parliament and some are serving jail terms, including one convicted murderer who is waiting for his appeal to be heard.

Yeah, right. Again choosing another convenient country as a yardstick to compare.