• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRCs who insist on speaking in english

M

metalsp2

hey bros.. taking a break from sexual talk at abf to post sth here..

do u guys have experience in china or in sg when u talk to prcs... even though they dun speak english very well.. they insist on talk to u in english... there were a few times, even when i was displaying difficulty understanding what they are saying... i switched to chinese to speak to them.... and my chinese aint that 'ang-moh pai' either... but haha.. they will still reply in english...

plus .. i think they learn they english from watching american shows... somehow they tend to learn that kind of accent.. really amazing sometimes... how abt other bros here??

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Most Chinese aspire towards speaking good English as it gives them a big advantage in their dealings with the English speaking world.

They realise that the USA is the most powerful and creative country on the face of this world while the Chinese are just copycats. It is therefore only natural that they try their best to speak the way the Americans do.

You don't expect them to want to speak stupid Singlish crap would you?:eek: It's not a proper language and it is only understood in sinkiepoor. The rest of the English speaking world considers Singlish to be nothing more than a joke. :p "It's like that one lor" is hardly a phrase to be proud of. :wink:

plus .. i think they learn they english from watching american shows... somehow they tend to learn that kind of accent.. really amazing sometimes... how abt other bros here??

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... do u guys have experience in china or in sg when u talk to prcs... even though they dun speak english very well.. they insist on talk to u in english... there were a few times, even when i was displaying difficulty understanding what they are saying... i switched to chinese to speak to them.... and my chinese aint that 'ang-moh pai' either... but haha.. they will still reply in english...
dun tok abt prc la ... over here, got sum ppl, if u dun speak gd england, dey oso c u no up ... :rolleyes:

... plus .. i think they learn they english from watching american shows... somehow they tend to learn that kind of accent.. really amazing sometimes... how abt other bros here??
u gt find out wat kind of english dey learn n who's their english teachers anot? ...

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
most prob they see as you're not from china, they think u can't speak mandarin. have some PRC friends and they think our mandarin is abit weird even though i'm speaking pure, proper mandarin. maybe it's gotta do with the accent.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
they think our mandarin is abit weird even though i'm speaking pure, proper mandarin. maybe it's gotta do with the accent.

How do you know your mandarin is "pure" and "proper"? Against what standard is the purity of your mandarin measured?:eek:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most Chinese aspire towards speaking good English as it gives them a big advantage in their dealings with the English speaking world.

I think that they simply want to improve their English with practical usage, for reasons that you've already mentioned. With Singaporeans' reputation (whether real or hollow) as mostly proficient English speakers, they're just seeing an opportunity for practice whenever they meet a Singaporean.

When I was in Thailand, after I've figured out some basic conversational Thai, I too spoke to all Thais in Thai, even to those who obviously could speak English or Chinese. It helped to build fluency easier and quicker.

Another experience I had was with a Japanese ex-girlfriend. Then, she was very keen on improving her English, and using me as her practice target. I was very keen on improving my Japanese, and kept speaking to her in Japanese. Looking back, it was quite amusing that our conversation usually comprised of me speaking to her Japanese and she replying in English, and vice versa.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a problem. It is easier to understand as their mandarin is quite hard to listen to - not used to the accent.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you know your mandarin is "pure" and "proper"? Against what standard is the purity of your mandarin measured?:eek:

by that i mean i would speak as how the average taiwanese/mainlander speaks, i.e. without frequent insertions of english/singlish/dialect. i would also pronounce words clearly and in the correct tone, and make an effort to ensure the sentence structure is correct. one good example would be to say '你要吃饭吗?' instead of '你要吃饭吗?' as we wrongly say it in sinkieland.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
well at least they are willing to try and improve their English speaking skills without qualms of embarrassing themselves. gotta give them the credits though.:biggrin:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now this is funny. Back in school i had a couple of commie bitches for chinese teachers, and they always say "China will one day be a world power. Learn chinese well." And they'd proceed to deride my poor chinese for being a "disgrace to all chinese people".

But it appears that all PRCs want a piece of english, not their own language, now.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another example is when telling someone "up to you." We tend to use 喜欢你 instead of the more correct 随你喜欢. I once committed that mistake with my ex-Taiwanese g.f. too. She cheekily corrected me, 我知道你喜欢我,但现在是在点菜,你不是要吃了我吧!

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't expect them to want to speak stupid Singlish crap would you?:eek: It's not a proper language and it is only understood in sinkiepoor. The rest of the English speaking world considers Singlish to be nothing more than a joke. :p "It's like that one lor" is hardly a phrase to be proud of. :wink:

Well, haven't you heard of

Chiglish (Chinese)
Singlish
Malglish (Malay)
Spaglish (Spainish)
Freglish (French
Japglish (Japanese)
and many more.......

Just that saying singlish would be easier because we r in singapore