• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Devastating earthquake magnitude 9.0 coming to Canada!!

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, if you want to bring your dreams to Canada and end up in the ruins of a megaquake on the order of magnitude 9.0, come to Vancouver or Seattle. Your best bet is to stay away from the west coast of NA because that's where the Cascadia thrust fault is.

Mind you, you don't want to mess with the Cascadia thrust fault because it is one of the most dangerous and powerful faults on Earth.

The threat of earthquakes is just a part of life for those living in Seattle, Vancouver and throughout the Puget Sound region. Scientists know it is just a matter of time before Cascadia lets loose a devastating quake on the order of magnitude 9.0.

Study: Megaquake looms over Seattle

Researchers say fault goes deeper than thought and heads toward city

091027-tech-quake-hmed.hmedium.jpg

Larry O'Hanlon / NASA World Wind

The white line in the above graphic is a previous estimate for nine-meter slip. The red line shows an area of the nine-meter slip 25 kilometers deep in the crust, as predicted by James Chapman and Timothy Melbourne of Central Washington University. The green line runs down where the slip dissipates to zero as the fault deepens to the east.

By Michael Reilly

The Cascadia thrust fault, one of the most dangerous and powerful faults on Earth, will hit even closer to home than anyone thought possible, according to a new study.

If the new findings are accurate, the fault will rupture within 68 miles of downtown Seattle, pouring seismic energy into a densely populated urban area, threatening to knock down buildings both large and small, and endangering the lives of the city's nearly 10 million residents.

The threat of earthquakes is just a part of life for those living in Seattle, Vancouver and throughout the Puget Sound region. Scientists know it is just a matter of time before Cascadia lets loose a devastating quake on the order of magnitude 9.0.

For decades, scientists, urban planners and emergency responders have taken small comfort in the fact that the tremor would stop near the coast of the Olympic Peninsula, perhaps as far as 118 miles west of Seattle.

If a huge quake hit, shaking in the city would be strong but low-frequency, the thinking went. There's a risk that buildings might collapse under that scenario, but those less than 10 stories would be spared.

However, the fault's behavior tells a different story.

Since 1997, Timothy Melbourne of Central Washington University in Ellensburg has been watching the Olympic Peninsula deform and listening to tiny quakes deep in Cascadia's bowels.

In an article due to be published in Geophysical Research Letters, he and colleague James Chapman show that the fault is locked down to a depth of 15 miles (25 kilometers), 6 miles deeper than previously thought.

"Normally, this is academic, and nobody gives a rip," Melbourne said. "But this is a shallow-dipping fault. As it goes down, it heads east from off the coast towards Seattle and Vancouver. At 25 kilometers' depth, that brings you right to the western edge of the Seattle metropolitan area."

That spells trouble for millions of people who call the area home.

As far as scientists know, large quakes of around magnitude 9.0 occur every 550 years or so on Cascadia. The last temblor was in 1700 so it could be some time before the next big one, but the fault already has enough pent up energy to slip 30 feet in the blink of an eye.

With tectonic plates shattering so close by, the city of Seattle could be be rocked by a shotgun blast of high and low-frequency energy, Melbourne suggested. Ground shaking could be up to five times stronger than anyone has planned for. Everything from small buildings to skyscrapers would be at risk of collapse.

"What this really means is emergency service planners need to take a long, hard look at the policies they have in place for dealing with an earthquake," Melbourne said. "Whenever this happens, it's not going to be good. It's going to get ugly."

No one disagrees with the danger Cascadia poses to the region. But Garry Rogers of the Geological Survey of Canada said that Melbourne and Chapman's findings aren't new.

Previous studies suggested that rupturing could spread deep along the fault. To be safe, those estimates have already been built into hazard maps in both Canada and the United States.

"There might need to be a few tweaks to the maps, but it won't be the dramatic shift that they claim," Rogers said. He added that he also thinks it's unlikely that much high-frequency energy will affect Seattle or Vancouver.

Instead, Rogers applauded the researchers for confirming what scientists had previously only been able to guess at: When (not if) Cascadia ruptures, it's going to break deep into the crust, releasing devastating amounts of energy into a densely populated area.

© 2009 Discovery Channel

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can Discovery Channel please do a similar assessment on Indonesia

Also will any country be spared in the event of simulthaneous massive earthquakes across the globe?

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can Discovery Channel please do a similar assessment on Indonesia

Also will any country be spared in the event of simulthaneous massive earthquakes across the globe?

at least on the west coast of the u.s. and canada, we have been preparing for a major earthquake in decades. and we have been thru' a few big ones in our lifetimes. we know how to survive them. in sg and indonesia, no one cares, and the morons continue to build tall, brittle structures without earthquake protection in the designs. :rolleyes:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

:eek::eek::eek: but wait......:confused::confused::confused:.....Canadian cities are still rated as some of the best to live n the world. Singapore leh???? :biggrin:

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the warning signs are all over. It's coming, it's creeping up slowly to Vancouver and the surrounding areas. It will hit Vancouver eventually with a 9.0 magnitude megaquake as the scientists have predicted. If you want to put your family in harms way, please come to Vancouver.

6.5 magnitude quake strikes off B.C. coast

Some residents of British Columbia's northwest coast got a side of shaking with their breakfast Tuesday morning after a 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast.

The 6.5 magnitude earthquake struck at 7:30 a.m. local time. No injuries have been reported.

An earthquake in this range is classified by as “strong” and “may cause a lot of damage in very populated areas,” said Earthquakes Canada.

The quake hit in the southern Queen Charlotte Islands region off the west coast at around 7:30 a.m. local time, according to Earthquakes Canada.

The quake was centred about 260 kilometres southwest of Prince Rupert, B.C. Reports from the region confirm the quake was felt over a wide area of northwestern B.C., from Terrace to Kitimat and as far away as the Queen Charlotte Islands.

It was followed by a 6 magnitude aftershock about six minutes later but there are no reports of damage.

A spokesman at the Tsunami Warning Centre in Palmer, Alaska says the quake did not generate a tsunami.

© 2009 The Canadian Press

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not one but two earthquakes!

2 earthquakes hit B.C.'s coast

November 17, 2009

An earthquake and at least two aftershocks struck off the coast of British Columbia on Tuesday morning, shaking houses and scaring some residents throughout the North Coast region.

The first quake had a magnitude of 6.6 and was recorded just off the southern tip of Haida Gwaii, also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands, around 7:30 a.m. PT.

It was followed seven minutes later by a second quake with a magnitude of 5.7., and shortly afterward by a third of about magnitude 3.0.

So far there are no reports of any damage, but residents reported the tremors from the first quake were felt for about 15 to 30 seconds.

Stephane Mazzotti of the Geological Survey of Canada called the quake and its aftershocks a major event, but not all that unusual.

"It's not very surprising actually. That particular area of the southern end of the Queen Charlottes is very active when it comes to earthquakes, and it has moderate to large seismic activity on a quite regular basis," said Mazzotti.

According to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, no tsunami has been observed, and none is expected.

Children scared by shaking

Skidegate resident Andy Wilson said he was shaving in the bathroom of his home on the Queen Charlotte Islands when his house started shaking.

"So I ran out to make sure the kids were OK.… The TV and the windows and other things were shaking inside the house," he said.

"They were pretty scared because they had never experienced being in the house when it was like that.... The little guy was hiding under the blankets. I had to reassure him it was just an earthquake. The other one was just kind of stunned sitting there with his older sister," he said.

Wilson said they felt the second quake a few minutes later.

It wasn't the first time Wilson had an earthquake shake his house. About 10 or 15 years ago a similar quake nearly shook his TV onto the floor he said.

Wilson said he will now check his house for damage, particularly around doorways.

On the mainland, Smithers resident Rick Groot said he felt the quake, but it was much milder in his area.

"It was a quiet rumble, but it was noticeable," he said.

The first quake woke Nancy O'Higgins in her bed in Port Clements, on Graham Island.

"The first thing I noticed was just a mild moving of the bed sideways, and I'm looking at the dog thinking, is she doing this? And it just got stronger and stronger," said O'Higgins.

"But my whole bed was going side to side and I didn't actually feel quite so nauseated until it was over," she said.

© 2009 The Canadian Press

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
See, I told you it is coming. This one in Ontario is only a starter, cause the megaquake 9.0 magnitude earthquake will hit Vancouver!

4732256420_6fe0437234_b.jpg

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what? Los Angeles & Frisco sit on the San Andreas faultline but residents there don't seem to bother. They have one of the priciest real estate in the world! And people who stay put are not yr dumb Janes!

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least on the west coast of the u.s. and canada, we have been preparing for a major earthquake in decades. and we have been thru' a few big ones in our lifetimes. we know how to survive them. in sg and indonesia, no one cares, and the morons continue to build tall, brittle structures without earthquake protection in the designs. :rolleyes:

cos in sin we will not be expose to serious earthquake...u mention moron, u r insulting taiwanese 1000times over...they are in the earthquake zone and yet they still biuld the 101 tower...
Dun have too much faith in ur system too early, the japanese were the most systematic pp in the world, yet they still cant handled the kobe earthquake...
u guys in US cant even handle Katrina...what a joke...

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what? Los Angeles & Frisco sit on the San Andreas faultline but residents there don't seem to bother. They have one of the priciest real estate in the world! And people who stay put are not yr dumb Janes!

wait till the earthquake strike and i wander if u still dare to use this stupid nick to write this brainless sentence...

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd still prefer to place my bets and face an earthquake in Canada once in my lifetime than to face yr clueless leaders and pathetic slaves like you everyday.

Know what they say about frogs in a small pond? I see we're even talking about deaf ones.

Sad.

wait till the earthquake strike and i wander if u still dare to use this stupid nick to write this brainless sentence...

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gentlemen:

Please bring your quarrel elsewhere :smile:, this thread is for earthquake awareness, particularly on the Cascadia thrust fault line so as to inform and educate people on the threat of a looming devasting earthquake on the magnitude of 9.0 over the Pacific North West region.

Thanks and take care.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are genuinely concerned abt eduucating & informing forumers here abt Canadian earthquakes, you would be publishing research reports by reputable scientists and seismologists in advance instead of fear-mongering here and pursuing yr other agenda of dumbing down other places to live just because you are passionate abt Sinkieland. So cut the BS. I am not quarreling here but countering yr unwarranted fear-mongering.

Gentlemen:

Please bring your quarrel elsewhere :smile:, this thread is for earthquake awareness, particularly on the Cascadia thrust fault line so as to inform and educate people on the threat of a looming devasting earthquake on the magnitude of 9.0 over the Pacific North West region.

Thanks and take care.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd still prefer to place my bets and face an earthquake in Canada once in my lifetime than to face yr clueless leaders and pathetic slaves like you everyday.

Know what they say about frogs in a small pond? I see we're even talking about deaf ones.

Sad.

cluess leader? pathetic slaves?? who is more clueless than the Rudd...good for you, i hope u do build on the earthquake zone...
even if Canada are not destroy by the earthquake, their leaders ought to be shameful of what is going on now with the G20....
This isn't our Toronto, and my response is anger," Mayor David Miller told CP24 television. "Every Torontonian should be outraged by this."

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are genuinely concerned abt eduucating & informing forumers here abt Canadian earthquakes, you would be publishing research reports by reputable scientists and seismologists in advance instead of fear-mongering here and pursuing yr other agenda of dumbing down other places to live just because you are passionate abt Sinkieland. So cut the BS. I am not quarreling here but countering yr unwarranted fear-mongering.

Everyone has the right to be passionate about their own country, we are not like someone here who will run away to either USA or Canada when there are problems in OZ...right Axe..this grp of ppl has no roots, no dignity..
What abt those ppl here constantly dumbing SIn, shld we ought to say something...

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dunno what you are raving about.

Pls compose yr arguments before we go any further. I dont feed trolls and aimless pea shooters.

cluess leader? pathetic slaves?? who is more clueless than the Rudd...good for you, i hope u do build on the earthquake zone...
even if Canada are not destroy by the earthquake, their leaders ought to be shameful of what is going on now with the G20....
This isn't our Toronto, and my response is anger," Mayor David Miller told CP24 television. "Every Torontonian should be outraged by this."