• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WARNING: New Immigrant Horrified By Crime In NZ

G

GordonGekko

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-8219.html

sidabrine

9th October 2006, 10:14 PM

Sorry to be a killjoy here... But, I think, what everyone should consider and hear before coming here is something about crime situation here, as you don't find that in the glossy government brochures that immigration authorities so generously distribute.

Since we moved to Auckland (not even 2 months ago) we had

1) Car broken into, backpack with valuables stolen

2) Fled an armed bank robbery at a local shopping mall (Lynnmall on Oct 9, this is peaceful West, not South of Auckland, from where gang wars and murders are reported daily).

Nothing like this has ever happened to us anywhere else in the world (we have traveled half the world and for 2 years lived in Southeast Asia). It just seems that this country is full of happy go lucky cowboys and if you happen to be a law abiding citizen, well... to bad... your belongings can be taken at any point and you'd be lucky if you're not kept at a gunpoint while someone checks your pockets.

The attitude of police was, I'd say, very relaxed, when we reported the theft from our car. Obviously nobody has any expectations that our stuff would be recovered or that the thieves would be found.

I guess that completely depends on where you're coming from, but I would never consider NZ to be an idylic, pristine and safe place to bring up children. No matter what the government brochures are saying. This was a HUGE surprise for us. If you're coming from a law obiding society, you may be shocked. Just a word of warning....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think this news is a reminder for Singaporeans who are thinking of migration but do not have the guts. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

To-long - Stay away pleeeeze.

We do not want too many whiney lamb-chop Singaporeans around to spoil the image built up by the forefathers.

sidabrine

Sorry to be a killjoy here... But, I think, what everyone should consider and hear before coming here is something about crime situation here, as you don't find that in the glossy government brochures that immigration authorities so generously distribute.

2) Fled an armed bank robbery at a local shopping mall (Lynnmall on Oct 9, this is peaceful West, not South of Auckland, from where gang wars and murders are reported daily).

Nothing like this has ever happened to us anywhere else in the world (we have traveled half the world and for 2 years lived in Southeast Asia). It just seems that this country is full of happy go lucky cowboys and if you happen to be a law abiding citizen, well... to bad... your belongings can be taken at any point and you'd be lucky if you're not kept at a gunpoint while someone checks your pockets.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The homicide rate covering the period from 2005-2006 as reported on;
http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/CTS10 homicide.pdf
shows that the homicide rate has fallen from 1.49 for year 2005 to 1.14 for year 2006 per 100,000 population for NZ.

For NZ population of 4 million people, there would then be around 40 murders for 1 year in 2006. That being the case how could there be 'murders being reported daily alleged by SIDABRINE'S post of 9th Oct 2006"?

That rate is also comparable with many of the OECD countries with some having higher and others lower rates.

Looking at Southeast Asian countries (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines) for homicide rates for 2006; 7.92/100,000; 2.31/100,000; 3.82/100,000 respectively would suggest also a higher crime rate for other crimes too.

This makes the anecdote by SIDABRINE of being a victim of crime in NZ but not in South East Asian countries somewhat unfair and bias reporting.

I have been living in Christchurch for more than 20 years and with many ex Singaporean friends there too for the same period. None of us have ever been victims of crime so far or witnessed any gangwars, robberies at gunpoint in shopping malls etc.

The writer, Sidabrine, must either be a real "SUAY"(born loser) person or someone who has an axe to grind (PAP sympathiser or the Internet Cyberbrigade) against popular emigration destinations of Singaporeans.

Picking on the NZ police's honest and realistic admission of NOT being able to recover stolen articles and catching the burglar is again unfair. The success rate of solving or recovering stolen articles is never very high in any country.

There are some Asian Immigrants who are simply asking for trouble by flaunting their wealth (eg bedecked with glittering gold and diamonds), leaving tempting articles in full view in their parked cars etc. Buidling monster houses in suburbs that really TOWER from the rest thereby tempting burglars.

Normal NZ police do not carry firearms, only the specially trained 'Armed Offenders Squad' do (akin to SWAT team) for a country that is alleged to have murders reported daily, gangwars and armed robberies that are supposedly so common!

Incidentally why does the Singapore Police need to carry firearms routinely in a country that is reportedly law abiding with low crime rates? Given the usual human crush of a densely populated country, how would the Singapore Police ever be able to discharge their firearms safely in any situation with such a heavy human traffic?

sidabrine

The attitude of police was, I'd say, very relaxed, when we reported the theft from our car. Obviously nobody has any expectations that our stuff would be recovered or that the thieves would be found.

I guess that completely depends on where you're coming from, but I would never consider NZ to be an idylic, pristine and safe place to bring up children. No matter what the government brochures are saying. This was a HUGE surprise for us. If you're coming from a law obiding society, you may be shocked. Just a word of warning....

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kiwibird,

How can you compare Singapore police with NZ police.

The former is trained by third world standard ruffians and the latter by proper first world policing training.

Normal NZ police do not carry firearms, only the specially trained 'Armed Offenders Squad' do (akin to SWAT team) for a country that is alleged to have murders reported daily, gangwars and armed robberies that are supposedly so common!

Incidentally why does the Singapore Police need to carry firearms routinely in a country that is reportedly law abiding with low crime rates? Given the usual human crush of a densely populated country, how would the Singapore Police ever be able to discharge their firearms safely in any situation with such a heavy human traffic?

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

sidabrine

Trying to discourage Sporeans from emigrating issit?

You working for PAP ah?

No use lah!

Talk so much cock!

Auckland/NZ is ranked higher than Spore in the most livable cities in the world.