• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indian ft ask 4 rights to buy hdb

Pleasure_empire

Alfrescian
Loyal
July 25, 2008
Home and Singapore, from a PR's viewpoint
I REFER to the lively Forum discussion about home ownership in Singapore. As a new Singapore permanent resident (PR) from India, let me respond this way.

First, Singapore is the only country with such a high percentage of home owners. Trust me, your home will never be repossessed because of a sub-prime-like crisis.

In New Delhi, where I came from, government housing is a luxury. Once in two years, the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) releases land and builds basic, two- and three-bedroom homes.

A lottery decides who gets to own the flats. Snaking queues, with hundreds of required documents, no salary or income cap and no cap on the number of flats applied for are a few of the scheme's characteristics. The balloting is fraught with irregularities. Most successful applicants sell the flats almost immediately in the open market for a huge premium.

My parents in India still live in a rented apartment because they have not been successful in getting a DDA flat and cannot afford expensive private housing. These things happen in India because it does not have a system like the Housing and Development Board's.

Second, I am 33 years old and live here with my wife and two children. I consider myself well educated, worldly wise and useful to my employers.

What am I doing in Singapore, leaving my parents, family, friends and comfort zone back home? Why did I strive to become a Singapore PR, and perhaps a citizen in future? I did it because Singapore is safe, dynamic, modern and conducive to a decent livelihood. Most important, the Government promotes harmonious living and equality for all. Many Singaporeans take these virtues for granted. I don't blame them because they probably don't know what it is like elsewhere, including a country like India which may have the world's fastest growing economy, but is fraught with corruption and an unsafe environment and does not have what Singapore has.

So it pains me when I read letters which say that PRs like me should not be treated well enough. I know we cannot be given the same rights as citizens, but why demand no rights at all?

Now, this is my country too. There is no turning back. So why can't I buy a flat directly from the HDB? And although I came as a permanent settler, why treat me like an enemy?
Amit Nagpal

kojakbt@*****.com

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then he should become a citizen and gain full rights. End of problem and story. :biggrin: The question is what is stopping him? :rolleyes:

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear FT Amit Nagpal

What am I doing in Singapore, leaving my parents, family, friends and comfort zone back home?

You must be joking, you call India a comfort zone? :confused:

Why did I strive to become a Singapore PR, and perhaps a citizen in future?

Because you know Singapore is a better place, and you give up the shithole in India.:p

So why can't I buy a flat directly from the HDB?

This is a case of give an inch, want one feet. :mad: Did you know that previously PRs cannot buy/own a HDB flat? You should consider yourself lucky that you can buy a HDB flat instead of renting a flat!

And although I came as a permanent settler, why treat me like an enemy?

I'm beginning to think you have a IQ problem. That HDB rule for PR does not mean treating PRs like an enemy :( What enemy? What talking you :biggrin:

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then he should become a citizen and gain full rights. End of problem and story. :biggrin: The question is what is stopping him? :rolleyes:
Becoming SG citizen will mean that his children will have to serve NS.

Aiyah, like all FTs, they shamelessly want the best of both worlds.

dormitory

Alfrescian
Loyal
Becoming SG citizen will mean that his children will have to serve NS.

Aiyah, like all FTs, they shamelessly want the best of both worlds.

Even when you are a PR, your son will also have to serve NS. The second generation onwards......

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Second, I am 33 years old and live here with my wife and two children. I consider myself well educated, worldly wise and useful to my employers.

What am I doing in Singapore, leaving my parents, family, friends and comfort zone back home? Why did I strive to become a Singapore PR, and perhaps a citizen in future? I did it because Singapore is safe, dynamic, modern and conducive to a decent livelihood. Most important, the Government promotes harmonious living and equality for all. Many Singaporeans take these virtues for granted. I don't blame them because they probably don't know what it is like elsewhere, including a country like India which may have the world's fastest growing economy, but is fraught with corruption and an unsafe environment and does not have what Singapore has.

So it pains me when I read letters which say that PRs like me should not be treated well enough. I know we cannot be given the same rights as citizens, but why demand no rights at all?

Now, this is my country too. There is no turning back. So why can't I buy a flat directly from the HDB? And although I came as a permanent settler, why treat me like an enemy?
Amit Nagpal

If you are worldly wise, you should move to Australia or Thailand.

kansas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I REFER to the lively Forum discussion about home ownership in Singapore. As a new Singapore permanent resident (PR) from India, let me respond this way.

Amit Nagpal, Why don't you apply for citizenship and show your allegience to Singapore before HDB let you have some goodies?