• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore voted best place to live in for expats

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal

S'pore voted best place to live in for expats
By Jessica Cheam

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 bold" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD class="georgia11 padcell8" colSpan=2><!-- more than 7 paragraphs --><!-- show image if available --><TABLE class=padl8 width=154 align=right border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD>
ln-sg-expatspore.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Singapore's safe, tax-efficient environment makes it 'an ideal location for expats to grow and protect their savings and investments'. -- ST PHOTO:

SINGAPORE has emerged the best place to live in the world in a survey of more than 2,000 expatriates by HSBC Bank.

The city-state also ranked first for quality of accommodation and second for luxury living.

Its closest competitor, Hong Kong, was ranked fifth overall, and first for an expat's ability to earn and save.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the United States came in as joint second best overall destinations, with Belgium ranking fourth.

HSBC's Expat Explorer Survey - a first for the bank - interviewed 2,155 expatriates across four continents to rank destinations based on living standards, the ability to earn and save, a country's popularity, and the level of luxury experienced.

The survey, released on Thursday, comes after human resources consultancy Mercer ranked the Republic the fifth most expensive Asian city for expatriates - up a notch from a previous survey.

ECA International, also a human resources consultancy, ranked Singapore as the best place for Asian expatriates to live worldwide earlier this year. And in a separate survey, found that Singapore has become a more expensive place for expatriates to live, but it is still cheaper than Hong Kong.

The Republic jumped 17 places to land at the 114th spot in a global survey of the costliest cities for expatriates, on the back of higher inflation and a stronger Singdollar in the past year.

But despite rising living costs, especially in housing, Singapore remains competitive compared to its Asian neighbours such as Tokyo, Seoul and Hong Kong, and other global financial centres like London and Zurich, said Mercer.

HSBC's head of consumer banking in Singapore, Ms Wendy Lim, said there are about 300,000 expats living in Singapore.

Singapore's safe, tax-efficient environment makes it 'an ideal location for expats to grow and protect their savings and investments', she said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest+News/Singapore/STIStory_260889.html?vgnmr=1

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many wannabe expats here know this tiny red dot is not exactly a hardship posting:p

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many wannabe expats here know this tiny red dot is not exactly a hardship posting:p

Expats here are lucky.. private housing and car provided, competitive salary, I can't see why they don't vote Singapore as the best :wink:

cantor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The survey results must be taken with a pinch of salt:

(1) Only the expats currently in Singapore are being interviewed (I am not sure whether this is true);

(2) Some expats may not have travelled to other countries to make a comparison. Even if they do, they may not have travelled enough to gain the real experience of concluding this way.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
sg voted best place to live in for expats? i truly wonder how much of it is really true? cos i've also heard quite a fair bit of expats wanting out, due to the rising costs.

check out his article:

Singapore ranked fifth most expensive city in Asia
Channel NewsAsia - Friday, July 25

SINGAPORE: Singapore is now the fifth most expensive city in Asia, according to Mercer Worldwide Cost of Living Survey.
ADVERTISEMENT

Singapore’s rise in rankings is partly due to the appreciation of the Singapore dollar against the US dollar.

Other contributing factors include its high quality of living and continued strength as a regional hub.

Tokyo is the costliest Asian city, followed by Seoul, Hong Kong and Osaka.

In world standings, Singapore is in 13th position, one notch higher than in 2007.

Moscow was ranked the most expensive city both in Europe and globally for the third year running.

Mercer’s survey covered 143 countries across six continents. — CNA/de

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal

(1) Only the expats currently in Singapore are being interviewed (I am not sure whether this is true);

(2) Some expats may not have travelled to other countries to make a comparison. Even if they do, they may not have travelled enough to gain the real experience of concluding this way.
well, 1 thing's pretty sure. expats who've been to other parts of SE asia, find no particular reasons to dwell in sg, apart from the "cleanliness". other than that, i see they're all adapting fine, in other places - especially coastal parts of Thailand and/or Indonesia.

slyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think whether the country is expensive to live in or not is based on the strength of the currency. sg dollars is quite strong.

i feel london shd be ranked above moscow in the ranking

counsel

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MNCs here particularly the Americans and Europeans pay their expat staff very well. With all that and first class treatment by the government and Singaporeans, I am not surprised Singapore is voted the best.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is surprising. I thought a city like London or Paris would have got the honours.
beats me, i too was a lil shocked to know that moscow was ranked top in euro. then again, perhaps its the cost of living vs the avg remuneration that makes it the most expensive - meaning to say, ppl cant really afford the simple necessitites in life.

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
i hav a number of expat friends who say tat s'pore is getting more expensive 2 live in....they r not here as senior management staff so their pay package does not include housing & transport....they told me itz getting more expensive to rent a place 2 stay as hdb flats r not easy 2 find 4 rental....they can only get condo or landed property which is more expensive.....they will leave s'pore after their contract or assignment ends.....bt they claim that they do gain experience here & if they go back 2 their respective country....they will get a promotion or a better job offer elsewhere.....

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually to take it with a pinch of salt or not, its simple, just go and stay in other countries for a minimum of 3 months each, and then 3 years later, you come back and compare.

Only then can we compare.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
i hav a number of expat friends who say tat s'pore is getting more expensive 2 live in....they r not here as senior management staff so their pay package does not include housing & transport....they told me itz getting more expensive to rent a place 2 stay as hdb flats r not easy 2 find 4 rental....they can only get condo or landed property which is more expensive.....they will leave s'pore after their contract or assignment ends.....bt they claim that they do gain experience here & if they go back 2 their respective country....they will get a promotion or a better job offer elsewhere.....

When rental is low, people say "There was a time when people said that Singapore couldn't make it". When rental is too expensive for expats, people scream too. So whichever flip of the coin also got people complain.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Crime rate is relatively low in Singapore compared to other countries. That is why expats feel safer coming to Sg without any worries of being robbed or mugged.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Expats don't only flock to sg. Many also flock to other parts of asia, and they don't seem to have as much complaints as those here in sg.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
last week, i was with two ang-mos at a pub. within an hour, they approached six local gals and got tel numbers of all of them. they selected two to accompany them for the evening. if i were them, i'd sure to vote for sg.