• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ang Moh says:Religion Poisons everything!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought I might share this article with the religious fanatics here. Saw Christopher Hitchenson on TV yesterday. Very impressed by what he says about religion.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heathens-above-gods-harshest-critic-smokes-in-the-shower-20091001-ger1.html

Heathens above: God's harshest critic smokes in the shower
MATTHEW BUCHANAN
October 2, 2009 Comments 26

Christopher Hitchens...religion makes us serfs. Photo: Steven Siewert
WHEN Christopher Hitchens says religion poisons everything, he is not kidding - he really does mean everything.

''Yup. People ask - do you mean religion poisons aerobic dancing? Chess? Tantric sex? And I say yes - it does. Religion attacks us in our deepest integrity by saying we wouldn't be able to make a moral decision without it, and that a supernatural dictatorship is our only hope. That makes us all into serfs. And chess and Tantric sex and Chinese food are pointless if you must enjoy them as a serf.''

Have your say

''How Religion Poisons Everything'' is the highly provocative subtitle to Hitchens's fulminating bestseller God is Not Great, which sold 40,000 copies in Australia and New Zealand.

It's also the title of the address he will give tomorrow to open the Festival of Dangerous Ideas at the Opera House. And it is the danger he believes to be inherent in religious ideas - and that posed by the religious who follow them - that he will be speaking about.

''I've already read an attack saying it's much too easy to do what Hitchens does, and what does he mean 'dangerous'?'' Hitchens said.

''It's a perfectly good point - in a way. What danger is there in my going to the Opera House? None.

''But it's not nothing to me that a murderous theocracy in Iran is about to get nuclear weapons by stealing and cheating - that is dangerous. Or that there are settlers around the greater River Jordan and Jerusalem area who think that by stealing other people's property they can bring on the Messiah and Armageddon - that is dangerous.

''And I can give you another dozen such examples.''

Before the publication of God is Not Great, Hitchens was best known for abandoning the left to support the invasion of Iraq, and for writing books venomously critical of Mother Teresa, Henry Kissinger and Bill Clinton. And for his reputation for hard living: he calls Johnny Walker Black ''the breakfast of champions'' and has referred to smoking in the shower.

Another defining element of his career is his willingness to debate anyone, anywhere, any time.

There is one idea put to him in debate more than any other: that morality is God-given. ''Most [believers] believe that without religion their children, and even they, would not know right from wrong. I have two arguments to which no answer has yet been received. One: Name me a moral kindness or action that they can do because of their belief but that I can't. Two: Can you think of one evil action done by a religion person? You can, and you can think of another, and another.''

Despite writing ''quite rude things about religion'' Hitchens reserved some respect for it.

''Everything we know about philosophy, we first learnt because of religion. It deserves respect for being humanity's first attempt to make sense of everything, to discover knowledge.''

That was way back then. It's different - and dangerous - now.

''I think human civilisation only begins when people separate religion from the state. Policing that frontier, making sure of it, is a huge thing, culturally and politically. You realise that any attempt to cross it is poisonous - in the sense of lethal.''

foomt117

Alfrescian
Loyal
All religions decay when their god-man are not replaced with another god-man. Then, the religion will be dead and becomes only a society. It becomes dangerous when Man pretends to be God-man telling other men what he thinks and like all feeble men, tries to enforce his beliefs when other men doubt his wisdom.