• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Budget Airlines - Hidden Clauses

Bigone65

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my recent overseas trip, I discovered that the handle of my brand new check-in luggage was damaged upon arrival. As the broken part is in the metal section of the handle, I concluded that the damage can only be caused if excessive force is being applied to jerk the bag away from maybe beneath other bags and does not constitute to normal handling. I contacted Jetstar via email and was informed by their Customer Service that they have a standard policy "Hidden Clause" regarding compensation of damaged luggages. They will only pay if the luggage is totally damaged and since they view this as only a minor damage, they rejected my reasoning. Therefore, I would like to highlight to all future travellers intending to fly with Jetstar to ensure they have their own travel insurance regardless of how nearby destination they intend to fly to. Otherwise, an enjoyable holiday can turn into a nightmare if you encounter a damaged luggage situation without any form of compensation from the airline.

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
i never fly budget airlines because of all these potential problems. Heard too many of them. Change flight time, damages to cargos.... etc..etc...

with SQ, at least i know when i bang the table hard enough, i will get what i want... i tell you... the first time i flew Jetstar, i kenna one chair, where the gear mechanism was a bit spoiled... the chair kept leaning back on its own. during the landing, the stewardess ask me to just lean forward, so that the chair will not fold backwards.

In SQ the same thing happened to me.... the IFS upgraded me to first class... see the difference?

tomoko

Alfrescian
Loyal
the first time i flew Jetstar, i kenna one chair, where the gear mechanism was a bit spoiled... the chair kept leaning back on its own. during the landing, the stewardess ask me to just lean forward, so that the chair will not fold backwards.

That is a safety hazard. You should write to the relevant authorities. Who knows you may even be compensated.

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
tat y they r call BUDGET CARRIER mah!! keke... all cheap cheap one!! go for full flight service, any delay they provide free hotel, luggage damage, they will repair for u, if cant repair they give u a new one free...

lastly budget flight is not always cheap unless u book damm early... :(

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You get what you pay for. Aka LCC (low cost carrier), for different market segment with expanding leisure travel.

Better suited for 1 way routes. Catches to promo pricing: book well (months?)ahead, blackout peak periods, mass/bulk booking by travel agents. Add odd surcharges like baggage, allocated seating and makan onboard.. narrows down price differential with regular carriers.

And be prepared for frequent flight delays and mad crowd rush at gate

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi dc didi,
nice to see you here also.
dun forget those taxes like fuel,airport and etc.

bro yinyang are right,more cheaper to take one way flight.

btw,how are the stewardess on these airlines ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
next time, get a cheap luggage. when flying on a budget, always treat your luggage like a writeoff.

dormitory

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my recent overseas trip, I discovered that the handle of my brand new check-in luggage was damaged upon arrival. As the broken part is in the metal section of the handle, I concluded that the damage can only be caused if excessive force is being applied to jerk the bag away from maybe beneath other bags and does not constitute to normal handling. I contacted Jetstar via email and was informed by their Customer Service that they have a standard policy "Hidden Clause" regarding compensation of damaged luggages. They will only pay if the luggage is totally damaged and since they view this as only a minor damage, they rejected my reasoning. Therefore, I would like to highlight to all future travellers intending to fly with Jetstar to ensure they have their own travel insurance regardless of how nearby destination they intend to fly to. Otherwise, an enjoyable holiday can turn into a nightmare if you encounter a damaged luggage situation without any form of compensation from the airline.

I guess that's one of the disadvantage of taking budget airlines in terms of consumer protection. Next time dont bring so many things. Just hand carry all your luggage...hehe

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cheap luggage can break open sometimes, then all the gifts comes pouring out. Then, how? Cheap or expensive luggage?

cheap does not always mean breakable. many cheap luggages survived brutal treatment in 3rd world airports. if you fly with valuables and gifts, hand carry them.

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheap luggage can break open sometimes, then all the gifts comes pouring out. Then, how? Cheap or expensive luggage?

invest in a durable one la... like samsonite!! i went to US w it, came back spore w scratches all over but ok... my fren w a polo brand, came back w crack all over... lucky can compensate...

if wan go bkk shoppin, juz go there n buy those blue white red china bag lor... keke v cheap $2 for one... now got lots of design too... sure can survive one way!! the most cums back throw lor... :biggrin::p

beary

Alfrescian
Loyal
if wan go bkk shoppin, juz go there n buy those blue white red china bag lor... keke v cheap $2 for one... now got lots of design too... sure can survive one way!! the most cums back throw lor...

I do agrees with you but no need to go BKK buy those bags lah , if better get those like china people always carrys those type of bags with red/blue strips one cheaper and better hor . :p :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
invest in a durable one la... like samsonite!! i went to US w it, came back spore w scratches all over but ok... my fren w a polo brand, came back w crack all over... lucky can compensate...

if wan go bkk shoppin, juz go there n buy those blue white red china bag lor... keke v cheap $2 for one... now got lots of design too... sure can survive one way!! the most cums back throw lor... :biggrin::p

a branded, boutique luggage attracts attention, especially thieves at baggage handling. u.s. airports are teeming with ex-cons working in grunt jobs.