• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Primary One School Registration - Citizens vs Permanent Residents

MoLanYong

Under the current primary one school registration system, the child of a citizen is assigned equal ranking as the child of a permanent resident (PR) in getting enrolled into the primary school of choice. This means that the child of a PR, be it from China, India, Malaysia who may have only recently settled in Singapore, will get the same chance of entering into primary school of his/her choice compared to the child of a citizen, who has spent most of his life, borne, grew up and live in Singapore.

I wonder if factors such as national service performed by a male citizen (2.5 years of active service and 13 years of reserve services) were ever considered by the government before deciding on such an arrangement.

It would be extremely difficult for me as a male citizen of Singapore who has served national service to accept that my child may lose out to a child of a PR in getting enrolled in a school of choice (with better resources and facilities) as we are assigned the same ranking.

Some may argue that the PRs also contribute to our economy so they should be allotted equal rankings, but even if we were to disregard or ignore the national services served by our citizens, the question we should still ask ourselves is in times of a national crisis, whose children are more likely to stay behind to defend Singapore.

Lately, high profile, ultra rich PRs have been enrolling their children into premier primary schools through participation in parental volunteer programme (PV). PV normally requires 40 to 80 hours of volunteer work and the children of the volunteers will in return get priority during the registration exercise. As PV is opened to both citizens and PRs, it means that the child of a PR who participated in the PV will have priority over the child of a citizen who has not.

40 to 80 hours of volunteer service takes precedence over 2.5 years of active service plus 13 years of reserved services, does it make sense?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be fair. Citizen pay 50% education fee or free. PR 80~90% fee and others full amount.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some may argue that the PRs also contribute to our economy so they should be allotted equal rankings, but even if we were to disregard or ignore the national services served by our citizens, the question we should still ask ourselves is in times of a national crisis, whose children are more likely to stay behind to defend Singapore.

PRs are allotted equal rankings as an incentive for them to take up PR.

If not, why would they want to take up PR? A lot of PRs had their EPs converted to PR simply because of the privileges.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
40 to 80 hours of volunteer service takes precedence over 2.5 years of active service plus 13 years of reserved services, does it make sense?

The question is if the state should discriminate PRs - a fellow human being gets discriminated for 2.5 years of active service plus 13 years of reserved services, does it makes sense?

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
2.5 years of active service and 13 years of active NSMan service = nothing? (becos every NS Man is doing so?)

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the country wants to treat me as second class citizen, then at least gives me a second class citizen's option: NO NATIONAL SERVICE!!!:mad:

Last edited:

dormitory

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the country wants to treat me as second class citizen, then at least gives me a second class citizen's option: NO NATIONAL SERVICE!!!:mad:

Well everyone also wants to be like that....but we can't so the best thing we can do is renounce our Singapore citizenship so dont need do army and come back as a PR :biggrin: