• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More Jobs Coming to Perth

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neddy, I can see ya smiling now.. What a lucky country !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LNG boom to make Australia 'Mid-East of gas'

Strong demand by growing economies in region: analysts

(MELBOURNE) Australia is poised to become 'the Middle East of gas' as Asia's rapidly growing economies queue up to buy its vast reserves in liquid form, according to analysts.
Ramping up: An LNG storage tank near Karratha in Western Australia; the government estimates Australia's LNG exports will hit 60 million tonnes by 2015 if all currently planned projects proceed

The government last week approved the massive Gorgon liquefied natural gas (LNG) project off Western Australia, which Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said would cost A$50 billion (S$60.71 billion) to build and would generate 6,000 jobs.

The joint venture by Chevron, Shell and ExxonMobil is already underpinned by supply contracts with China and India worth more than US$60 billion, and more customers are likely to sign up before it begins operating in 2014.

Gorgon is just one of a clutch of LNG projects planned in the next decade that analysts say will pump tens of billions of dollars into the economy and see Australia challenge Qatar as the world's major gas exporter.

Hailing Gorgon's US$41 billion supply contract with PetroChina this month - the largest trade deal in Australian history - the government said that LNG was an important part of the country's future prosperity.

'This unprecedented export deal confirms Australia's importance as a global energy superpower supplying vital clean energy resources and technologies to China and our other Asia-Pacific trading partners,' Resources Minister Martin Ferguson said.

Asian demand for coal and iron ore have helped Australia's economy avoid recession during the global downturn, but State One Stockbroking analyst Peter Kopetz said that LNG was the next boom commodity.

The gas is liquefied for shipping abroad, where it is turned back into gas and distributed via pipeline.

'The numbers are phenomenal. When you look at them it's mind-boggling,' he said. 'It's going to be LNG boom times.'

Australia exported 15.2 million tonnes of LNG worth US$5.2 billion in 2006, a figure the government estimates will quadruple to 60 million tonnes by 2015 if all currently planned projects proceed.

'Potentially, there could be many more projects coming on board,' Mr Kopetz said, pointing out that new discoveries were being made all the time. He said that Australia had the potential to become 'the Middle East of gas' in coming decades as the world's oil supplies dwindled.

'Have a look at the Middle East, how they've benefited over the past 50-60 years from the oil boom,' he said.

Western Australia is the centre of the LNG boom with three huge gas fields off its north-west coast: the Carnarvon, Browse and Bonaparte basins.

But Mr Kopetz also points out that Queensland state on the east coast has significant reserves of coal seam gas (CSG), naturally occurring methane trapped by water deep underground that can be converted to LNG.

Shell plans a CSG plant in Queensland expected to produce up to 16 million tonnes of LNG a year, with other energy giants such as Britain's BG Group, ConocoPhillips, and Malaysia's Petronas also developing projects in the area.

Despite the proliferation of LNG schemes, EL&C Baillieu head of research Ivor Ries said that there was sufficient demand from Asia.

He said that existing LNG fields in Malaysia and Indonesia were coming to the end of their operational life, creating a market for Australian gas.

Asian buyers were also keen to source gas from Australia rather than outside the region because it offered a secure supply, Mr Ries said.

'If you're in Asia, you don't have to route your ships through a war zone, which is the Middle East, and the distance is shorter,' he said.

However, not everyone is happy about Australia's rush to exploit its LNG reserves, with green groups raising concerns that environmental factors are being neglected.

Environment Minister Peter Garrett has conceded Gorgon is 'greenhouse-gas intensive' and could raise national emissions by up to one per cent if ambitious plans to pump carbon dioxide emissions into the seabed fail.

But while Mr Garrett included 28 conditions in his Gorgon approval designed to protect the environment, Mr Ries said that the government was determined to develop LNG resources.

He said that the industry had the potential to overtake coal as the country's most valuable export, generating jobs, boosting the economy and filling government coffers with tens of billions of dollars in tax revenue. -- AFP

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neddy, I can see ya smiling now.. What a lucky country !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LNG boom to make Australia 'Mid-East of gas'

Strong demand by growing economies in region: analysts

(MELBOURNE) Australia is poised to become 'the Middle East of gas' as Asia's rapidly growing economies queue up to buy its vast reserves in liquid form, according to analysts.
Ramping up: An LNG storage tank near Karratha in Western Australia; the government estimates Australia's LNG exports will hit 60 million tonnes by 2015 if all currently planned projects proceed

The government last week approved the massive Gorgon liquefied natural gas (LNG) project off Western Australia, which Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said would cost A$50 billion (S$60.71 billion) to build and would generate 6,000 jobs.

We in Perth are READY!

I spent the last weekend looking at a few pieces of lands at Wattle Grove and Canningvale (a SingaPerth surburb). Not too far from the airport for FIFO people and a new train station for city workers.

I will take loans before the interest rates rise in Q2 2010?

By next year this time, I will be renting out my new 4bed 2bath houses on green titles. By the time the boom starts, I will find a right time to sell. That is how we made money the last time. I suspect Mr Leong himself did the same.

This time round, we know this place better than the new timers.

Remember, Gorgon is not the only dragon driving WA, there are smaller LNG projects in the pipeline.

In fact, I may be investing in a agricultural-based company that is processing the by-products of LNG.

I think I can retire after that. :cool:

Let the losers continue to talk down Australia and how expensive this place is. The less competitors the better for me. :biggrin:

Additional Points
People in the world use more and more energy
New projects by Indian-Koreans in Collie, etc ....
Uranium projects starting to roll in 3 years ...
Supporting industries ...

There is a reason why I introduce Perth ... not many people get it. Which is a good thing!
Maybe you may want to visit ...? Get your chooks ready ... lah :-D

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are smiling mate.. :smile: You shld get ready to receive the influx of migrants and employees.. and do something to benefit from the upswing..

Ppl can cry and yell for the expensive goods.. BUT not from ppl who are selling the goods :wink: I'll will not rule out Perth. I need to research the chicken industry there before reaching a decision. alot of money involved hence, must exercise due diligence..

3 cheers for our entrepreneur spirits !

We in Perth are READY!

I spent the last weekend looking at a few pieces of lands at Wattle Grove and Canningvale (a SingaPerth surburb). Not too far from the airport for FIFO people and a new train station for city workers.

I will take loans before the interest rates rise in Q2 2010?

By next year this time, I will be renting out my new 4bed 2bath houses on green titles. By the time the boom starts, I will find a right time to sell. That is how we made money the last time. I suspect Mr Leong himself did the same.

This time round, we know this place better than the new timers.

Remember, Gorgon is not the only dragon driving WA, there are smaller LNG projects in the pipeline.

In fact, I may be investing in a agricultural-based company that is processing the by-products of LNG.

I think I can retire after that. :cool:

Let the losers continue to talk down Australia and how expensive this place is. The less competitors the better for me. :biggrin:

Additional Points
People in the world use more and more energy
New projects by Indian-Koreans in Collie, etc ....
Uranium projects starting to roll in 3 years ...
Supporting industries ...

There is a reason why I introduce Perth ... not many people get it. Which is a good thing!
Maybe you may want to visit ...? Get your chooks ready ... lah :-D

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are smiling mate.. :smile: You shld get ready to receive the influx of migrants and employees.. and do something to benefit from the upswing..

Ppl can cry and yell for the expensive goods.. BUT not from ppl who are selling the goods :wink: I'll will not rule out Perth. I need to research the chicken industry there before reaching a decision. alot of money involved hence, must exercise due diligence..

3 cheers for our entrepreneur spirits !

Read my post ... "emigrating: consider the World capitals of the future "

World capitals of the future
by Joel Kotkin, Forbes.com
Thursday, September 3, 2009

"In Australia, Perth, located on the Indian Ocean and close to critical commodities such as iron ore, has also emerged in a big way. Australia's richest city has become a major urban threat to long-established Sydney and Melbourne, with growth driven both by domestic as well as foreign migration and development."

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting that troll never responded yet. Good luck in Perth Mate, maybe I'll visit Perth soon as well. :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I need help.
I want to move to Perth.

I am curious to know - why do you want to move to perth, and not other better established city, eg Sydney or Melbourne.

If you are seriously look at Perth, you should consider how you want to make Perth work for you.

How much do you undertand Perth - you studied here before, or visit as a tourist, etc ....

Are you an entrepreneur, a blue-collar worker, etc ...

What sort of weather do you like ... sunny, dry, rain, cold, hot ... etc

How much $ are you bringing over? The cost of living in Perth has gone up in the last boom.

What sort of lifestyle are you seeking? like to keep yourself busy, laidback, burnt out looking to recapture a simpler life.

Do you have kids? Less distraction in Perth, better public schools in SingaPerth surburbs, etc

Can you stand inefficiency? Perth people will take their time to get things done.

What kind of people do you like to mix with? Perth is mini Britain with Malaysian food. If you are looking for really good HK food, try Melbourne/Sydney.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious to know - why do you want to move to perth, and not other better established city, eg Sydney or Melbourne.

If you are seriously look at Perth, you should consider how you want to make Perth work for you.

How much do you undertand Perth - you studied here before, or visit as a tourist, etc ....

Are you an entrepreneur, a blue-collar worker, etc ...

What sort of weather do you like ... sunny, dry, rain, cold, hot ... etc

How much $ are you bringing over? The cost of living in Perth has gone up in the last boom.

What sort of lifestyle are you seeking? like to keep yourself busy, laidback, burnt out looking to recapture a simpler life.

Do you have kids? Less distraction in Perth, better public schools in SingaPerth surburbs, etc

Can you stand inefficiency? Perth people will take their time to get things done.

What kind of people do you like to mix with? Perth is mini Britain with Malaysian food. If you are looking for really good HK food, try Melbourne/Sydney.

Heehee.. thank you melbourne.. Yummmmy yummy food !!

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. I have to admit I don't understand Perth extensively. I have been there as a tourist twice, staying about 3 months each time. Once in winter, once in summer. I enjoyed my stay there but am aware living there can be entirely a different experience. After all, which tourist doesn't enjoy visiting Singapore? Not many. Working and living here is another story. Same goes.

2. I'm currently an average man on street. Working as a project engineer in steel structures.

3. I enjoyed winter in Perth. Summer was tougher but the flies got to me more than the heat really.

4. Money to bring over - I don't have a lot, regrettably.

5. A simpler life. I don't need to be laidback. At the moment my working hours is 8-5, then at 11pm i have to start work again, at site. Till about 2-4am. I'll have to live with 4 hours of sleep a day and report for work. If I can't take it I could leave at around 3pm to catch some sleep and restart work at 11pm. 6 full days a week. It may sound crappy but to be honest I am happier with this job than the previous, a pure 5 day week, leave-on-the-dot stat board job despite taking a pay cut for the trouble.

6. No kids.

7. I can stand inefficiency, unless it's a wisdom tooth infection case.

8. I prefer down to earth folks, non flashy cars, humble and simple. Nationality doesn't matter. Food doesn't matter, I can cook.

I've read entries of successful sg being entrepreneurs settling in Australia. I hope to do the same, there is so much to know so little information and guidance. I am not afraid to fail but that doesn't mean I can afford to. Thus, my initial post. I need help.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leave the worrying abt moving for later. First thing first, goto OZ immigration site, read up which visa you want to apply, start your application first. If you are going via skilled worker visa as an engineer, you need to get certified by the relevant authority before you can officially apply for the visa, impt thing is to log in the date of application. To gain extra points, check out their occupation in demand list and check if you are qualified to go under which occupation.

You can pm me to discuss more in detail.

1. I have to admit I don't understand Perth extensively. I have been there as a tourist twice, staying about 3 months each time. Once in winter, once in summer. I enjoyed my stay there but am aware living there can be entirely a different experience. After all, which tourist doesn't enjoy visiting Singapore? Not many. Working and living here is another story. Same goes.

2. I'm currently an average man on street. Working as a project engineer in steel structures.

3. I enjoyed winter in Perth. Summer was tougher but the flies got to me more than the heat really.

5. A simpler life. I don't need to be laidback. At the moment my working hours is 8-5, then at 11pm i have to start work again, at site. Till about 2-4am. I'll have to live with 4 hours of sleep a day and report for work. If I can't take it I could leave at around 3pm to catch some sleep and restart work at 11pm. 6 full days a week. It may sound crappy but to be honest I am happier with this job than the previous, a pure 5 day week, leave-on-the-dot stat board job despite taking a pay cut for the trouble.

6. No kids.

8. I prefer down to earth folks, non flashy cars, humble and simple. Nationality doesn't matter. Food doesn't matter, I can cook.

I've read entries of successful sg being entrepreneurs settling in Australia. I hope to do the same, there is so much to know so little information and guidance. I am not afraid to fail but that doesn't mean I can afford to. Thus, my initial post. I need help.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

6. No kids.

Try Melbourne, Perth is too isolated and laidback, Sydney human density & hectic (a bit similiar to Spore). Melbourne will be a good balanced of both.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone should be alerted to neddy, his clone "ash007" (only post in same threads and proven to be same person) and now latest clone "the pill"

So be aware neddy=ash007=thepill

a very sad desperate person trying to make Oz look good when its gone down the toilet

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone should be alerted to neddy, his clone "ash007" (only post in same threads and proven to be same person) and now latest clone "the pill"

So be aware neddy=ash007=thepill

a very sad desperate person trying to make Oz look good when its gone down the toilet

Sorry, please leave this thread alone. No, just fuck off. I need proper insights from people who has walked the talk.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leave the worrying abt moving for later. First thing first, goto OZ immigration site, read up which visa you want to apply, start your application first. If you are going via skilled worker visa as an engineer, you need to get certified by the relevant authority before you can officially apply for the visa, impt thing is to log in the date of application. To gain extra points, check out their occupation in demand list and check if you are qualified to go under which occupation.

You can pm me to discuss more in detail.

I agree, you should really look at the site closely. If you are still not sure about the procedure or just don't have the time to go through applying, arranging for certs etc you can try a migration agent. I'm not sure how much they charge nowadays but it could save you some time in arranging forms, cert to be certified while you go about your daily work.

As to a place to settle down in Aust, it depends on your personal lifestyle. Even in Sydney, it can be as laid back as you want compared to Singapore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Try Melbourne, Perth is too isolated and laidback, Sydney human density & hectic (a bit similiar to Spore). Melbourne will be a good balanced of both.

Melbourne is where I got my nick. My idol, NED KELLY, used to live in RMIT, Melbourne Gaol campus. :biggrin:

Australia is diverse enough to match different people to their ideal city. :rolleyes:

Personally, I would prefer Brisbane to Melbourne, but again, it is a personal choice.

I think someone who has lived in Perth for 3 months should know the laidback nature of Perth. Perth is one city that has always battled the isolated label.

eg. While eastern states people are talking about laying water pipe, we already laid a 600km water pipe serviing Kalgoorlie-Boulder. http://www.goldenpipeline.com.au/00/index.shtml

Melbourne is fine for ladies because they love shopping, the chic boutiques, streetside cafe. It is also good for white collar mining executives in flashy corporate HQs. Phamacists and food scientists will find more job opportunities in VIC too.

My main complain about Melbourne is the weather, not receiving enough sun.

Perhaps, you would like to do a write-up about your city.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

6. No kids.

LIVING IN AUSTRALIA
You may be interested to look at this "Beginning a Life in Australia - Welcome to Western Australia, English January 2009"
http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/beginning-life/_pdf/wa/eng.pdf
For other states, http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/beginning-life/booklets/english.htm

CAREER
Civil engineer? Average income is six-figure. Depending on experience.
As long as you are not another computer guy.

Construction people in Perth are protected species. But all around Australia, you will notice infrastructure projects going on, thanks to $22 billion Rudd plan.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/
http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/role-activities/msa/msa_home.cfm

STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Entrepreneur? You may need a business coach. Also, take a look at this informative govt website, http://www.sbdc.com.au/
You can get free booklets on "Smart move: a kit for migrants settling in Western Australia" and "Business visa information pack : for everything you need to know about business migration to Western Australia" from that website.

Looks like you have some reading and surfing to do. A lot of information are on the internet. Hope you got time to read.

USING AN AGENT
Use a registered agent if possible. I DIY my application, because during my time, I don't remember any agent operating in Singapore.
http://www.mara.com.au/consumers/

Last edited: