• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Words And Music Blast From The Past: Old Rocks That Never Rot

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pink Floyd was quite prolific in the late 60s and early 70s, quite many albums, some commanding cult following. It was the 1973 Dark Side Of The Moon that elevated them onto religious altar from cult strata. An incredible album straight out of an artistically inspired mix of divinity, humanity and insanity. Beating all Beatles and Rolling Stones albums that came before it, and all those after came after.

前无古人,后无来者。

After 1973, Pink Floyd only released new studio albums one very two or few years. Wish You Were Here (1975) should be listened to as the first disc of The Wall (1979) double discs. Then would the listener enjoy the entire experience. After Roger Waters left in the early 80s, David Gilmour & Co. still retained the distinctive Pink Floyd sound, but not so cutting-edge lyrically.

Last edited:

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about Cream, just before Free (then to Bad Company)? ELO then after:wink:

Paul Rogers, of the power vocals, formed Bad Company after disbanding from the great Free. Cream was a iconic three piece band consisting of Clapton, Ginger Baker and the bassist cant remb his name liao. These groups succesfully blended blues with rock and revolutionised music of that era.

About Led Zep, it was a real rush to see Jimmy Page perform atop the double decker at the Olympic close! Whole Lotta Love wow!

But these are all Brit groups. On the other side of the Altlantic, people like Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell, Dylan etc were breaking out and starting a whole new culture.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Paul Rogers, of the power vocals, formed Bad Company after disbanding from the great Free. Cream was a iconic three piece band consisting of Clapton, Ginger Baker and the bassist cant remb his name liao. These groups succesfully blended blues with rock and revolutionised music of that era.
Bang on. Who can forget the old classic sunshine of your love:biggrin:? Oh yeah, steam (to borrow an in-phrase those days) to see Page doing the olympics bus guitar riff on whole lotta love.

On music not crossing the atlantic, we may not have seen sunset of the british empire... but reborn pop empire. Moody Blues was more successful in uncle sam than at home. Don Mclean too, with his poetic great american pie. Did you know that killing me softly was sung for Don Mclean by Roberta Flack?

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

About Led Zep, it was a real rush to see Jimmy Page perform atop the double decker at the Olympic close! Whole Lotta Love wow!

But these are all Brit groups. On the other side of the Altlantic, people like Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell, Dylan etc were breaking out and starting a whole new culture.

For me, the most powerful rock vocalist has to be Robert Plant.

Stateside seems to produce more notable soloists than groups. However, there're of course the Doors, Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Eagles. The haunting voice of Jim Morrison will be forever associated with the Doors, and the folksy-yet-gutsy voice of John Fogerty with CCR. But both bands are shortlived, just like Cream.

The Eagles functioned more like the Beatles. Though Don Henley and Glenn Frey took most lead vocals, practically every member has taken lead vocals now and then. By now, I think it's beyond dispute that they're the most successful band that the US has ever produced.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On music not crossing the atlantic, we may not have seen sunset of the british empire... but reborn pop empire. Moody Blues was more successful in uncle sam than at home. Don Mclean too, with his poetic great american pie. Did you know that killing me softly was sung for Don Mclean by Roberta Flack?

Another great Don McLean song is Vincent. It's a personal favorite of mine. I heard that it's being replayed over and over again all day long as background music in an Amsterdam museum. Among American songstresses, my favorites are Carole King and Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac (though Fleetwood Mac is technically a British-American group).

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another great Don McLean song is Vincent. It's a personal favorite of mine. I heard that it's being replayed over and over again all day long as background music in an Amsterdam museum.
He also penned that great And I love You So. Vincent's even been used as theme song for a recent hk movie or tv serial too.. so there you are, quite topical:biggrin:

On great songstresses, what about Barbra Streisand and her classic Memories? Think former cantopop Leslie Cheung did a cover version too. Carole King's good, but kinda mono-tone.. not dissimiliar from her better half. And how can we forget Minnie Ripperton's high octane Loving You?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On great songstresses, what about Barbra Streisand and her classic Memories? Think former cantopop Leslie Cheung did a cover version too. Carole King's good, but kinda mono-tone.. not dissimiliar from her better half. And how can we forget Minnie Ripperton's high octane Loving You?

I first heard So Far Away by Carole King on radio when I didn't even know who's Carole King. It simply struck a chord in me. I went around hunting for the cassette (those days I didn't have proper hi fi record player). Then I found Tapestry, classic.

Barbra Streisand, I've always considered her just another popish nice voice and face until Guilty and Woman In Love (1980). Barry Gibb & Bros. cast her liquid gold voice into solid gold. Too bad, that was just an one-off collaboration.

jw5

Loyal
Shades of Woodstock:p Was lead singer Roger Daltrey?

Throw in Deep Purple, Alice Cooper (weird)
Yep, the lead singer and one of the songwriters was Roger Daltry.
He actually appeared in a very good episode of CSI, as a gangster who killed a policeman many years ago and was a master of disguises. He is a fine actor, in addition to being a good singer.
The other creative genuis on The Who was of course Pete Townsend.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Robert Plant is there among the best in rock vocals and then there's Ian Gillan of Deep Purple. You gotta listen to his voice in Child In Time from one of their 'perfect' albums Deep Purple In Rock. The other Deep Purple 'perfect' album is Machine Head. Smoke on the Water anyone?

But i was disppointed when they played at the National Stadium some years back becos Ritchie Blackmore walked out in the middle of a song presumably becos he did not like the sound reproduction!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...Child In Time from one of their 'perfect' albums Deep Purple In Rock. The other Deep Purple 'perfect' album is Machine Head. Smoke on the Water anyone?
I was more enamoured with Woman in Tokyo:p. Smoke on the Water was standard for parties then.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most rock fans don't like or don't have high regards for the disco music in the late 70s. However, I think the Bee Gees deserve more than a mention in any popular music topic. Songs like How Deep Is Your Love, Stayin' Alive, Night Fever, Too Much Heaven, Tragedy were simply so good both artistically and commercially that they overwhelmed the record stores and radio airwaves. So much so oversold, overbought and overplayed between 1977 and 1979 that the Bee Gees never recovered from the disproportionate success and equally if not more disproportionate backlash of the early 80s.

The only other such precedent of phemonal domination occured between 1964 and 1966 with the Beatles. The Beatles could have easily suffered the same fate as the Bee Gees, but no, they changed their artistic and creative direction completely, and elevated themselves to an even higher altar with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, ushering in a new age of great albums, not just songs.