• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Seems like there are some losers in Canada too.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are these losers doing in Canada?

Documentary on Immigrants in Canada. Canada picks up the educated and experienced from developing nations, but most of the immigrants are under-utilized and doing odd jobs. Canada is losing its standing in the race of global talent hunt.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r76hfkX1Lg4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r76hfkX1Lg4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe Singaporeans moving to Canada will do much better than these losers.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y4Gd4vqFpmc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y4Gd4vqFpmc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is definitely a problem...But for the younger & single folks, you can always move around if things are not working out in Canada - that's what I did. :smile:

Can always drop back in when conditions change for the better.

Cheers,
Trout

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is definitely a problem...But for the younger & single folks, you can always move around if things are not working out in Canada - that's what I did. :smile:

Cheers,
Trout

poor neddy.

you have to understand he is really upset at his prices and taxes in Australia. Trying to be a PAP trooper and scour the internet to find some disgruntled cases of immigration into Canada is really sad. The PAP taught him well, as we all know the US and Canda is WAAAAY better than Australia any day.

Once I told him the prices of laptops being sold at Fry's or Best Buy is 1/3 the price it is in Perth, the guy almost burst out in tears.

I tried not to tell him how cheap cars are in relation to Australia, nor did i let him know US petrol is much cheaper too. Each litre of petrol in Australia has a .40+ per litre tax PLUS 10% GST. Imagine Americans paying 2 bucks a gallon in tax on top of the current 2 bucks seventy. Thats daily life in Australia where after paying such prices Asians are getting killed beaten and passed over everyday there for being, well, Asian. Poor guy, what can I say?

But I really left the taxes out of it. I think he might caude injury to himself if he only knew......

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
poor neddy.

you have to understand he is really upset at his prices and taxes in Australia. Trying to be a PAP trooper and scour the internet to find some disgruntled cases of immigration into Canada is really sad. The PAP taught him well, as we all know the US and Canda is WAAAAY better than Australia any day.

Once I told him the prices of laptops being sold at Fry's or Best Buy is 1/3 the price it is in Perth, the guy almost burst out in tears.

I tried not to tell him how cheap cars are in relation to Australia, nor did i let him know US petrol is much cheaper too. Each litre of petrol in Australia has a .40+ per litre tax PLUS 10% GST. Imagine Americans paying 2 bucks a gallon in tax on top of the current 2 bucks seventy. Thats daily life in Australia where after paying such prices Asians are getting killed beaten and passed over everyday there for being, well, Asian. Poor guy, what can I say?

But I really left the taxes out of it. I think he might caude injury to himself if he only knew......

Haha...actually, I'll be spending half my time in Oz for my new job (and half in SG). How expensive is Sydney exactly?

Cheers,
Trout

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers,
Trout

Dear Trout,

I think that is the spirit we all should have. Never say die. In fact, it is not difficult for families to move around the countries these days either.

So long as the infrastructure and services support family moves, why not. That is the tend these days.

But I find too many Singaporean migrants expecting eternal fair-weather and easily defeated by minor setbacks.

My ancestors will be disappointed if I turn out to be weaklings. We go where they is money to be earn, and at the same time have fun.

Kind Regards,
Neddy

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha...actually, I'll be spending half my time in Oz for my new job (and half in SG). How expensive is Sydney exactly?

Cheers,
Trout

Oh no!

If you spend less than 6 months working in Australia then the taxes are even higer than the highest tax bracket of 43%

You might get whacked at over 45% Federal Tax !!!:eek::eek:

Plus your Oz Bank account they automaticlly withold tax :eek::eek:

Plus 10% GST :eek:

Plus food is dreadfully expensive! :eek:

Plus housing is criminally expensive! :eek:

Plus transport is horribly expensive! :eek:

Generally Sydney is now more expensive to live than New York :eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/18/2192181.htm

Sydney more expensive to live than NY: report

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ing-more-expensive-than-new-york/1561806.aspx

Sydney parking more expensive than New York
BY CLANCY YEATES
8/07/2009 8:14:00 AM

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh no!

If you spend less than 6 months working in Australia then the taxes are even higer than the highest tax bracket of 43%

Generally Sydney is now more expensive to live than New York :eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ing-more-expensive-than-new-york/1561806.aspx

BY CLANCY YEATES

Thanks for the heads-up, at least I have some ammo now to negotiate the benefits package next week, and maybe work out an arrangement which will allow me to both siam the downside of Oz residency, and also siam the downsides of SG citizenship...

Currently have a tentative plan of acquiring a string of PRs around the world so I can have more options later, but I think maybe such an act might cause indecision later on...opinions?

Cheers,
Trout

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the heads-up, at least I have some ammo now to negotiate the benefits package next week, and maybe work out an arrangement which will allow me to both siam the downside of Oz residency, and also siam the downsides of SG citizenship...

Currently have a tentative plan of acquiring a string of PRs around the world so I can have more options later, but I think maybe such an act might cause indecision later on...opinions?

Cheers,
Trout

Looks like Singaporeans are still easily fooled.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Trout,

I think that is the spirit we all should have. Never say die. In fact, it is not difficult for families to move around the countries these days either.

So long as the infrastructure and services support family moves, why not. That is the tend these days.

But I find too many Singaporean migrants expecting eternal fair-weather and easily defeated by minor setbacks.

My ancestors will be disappointed if I turn out to be weaklings. We go where they is money to be earn, and at the same time have fun.

Kind Regards,
Neddy

I think things are a bit harder once you have a wife and kids in tow.

I'm a free wandering soul, so if things don't work out in one country, I can always scoot-off to another place, so really, to be frank, I'm a very fair-weather Singaporean - I am particularly choosy about jobs.

I got the Canadian PR because I received my tertiary education there, and I am still in the opinion that this is the place to be once the resource crunch (energy/water/food) strikes mid-century, along with climate change (agricultural belt shifting north and south) and the opening of the Northwest passage for shortcuts in shipping routes (shrinking of the Arctic ice-caps), and I felt in case I can't make enough $$ to support my parents' medical care expenses in a decade or two in Singapore, the Canadian govt can foot the bill because of the universal healthcare system they have. In a sense, I'm helping the SG govt alleviate the pending healthcare and greying population problem, so its a win-win, :P.

However, I guess in the current situation, I'll probably will take a rain-check in setting down my roots there for at least 2 years, and go back in when they finally resolve this immigrant societal integration problem - I did get a nice job as a project manager-design engineer in an environmental engineering firm when I graduated (then I got chopped a year later because of the lousy economy, hahaha), so I didn't experience the problems faced by the immigrants in the above video, but I have many graduate school coursemates (mid-career immigrants with families in tow) that are suffering from this problem, and I think its a huge shame that their talents are left to languish because of a lack in 'Canadian experience'. In their case, they are not as mobile as a young single is, and are more 'stuck'.

For young singles like me, we just go where the wind blows...that's why you find a lot of young Canadians overseas as well, because of a lack of good opportunities for them in Canada.

Cheers,
Trout

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like Singaporeans are still easily fooled.

Yah, that's true. I'm not very street-wise. But at the moment, not much opportunity cost for most decisions I make, so not too bad, as long as I learn quickly and do damage control quickly.

Cheers,
Trout

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm a free wandering soul, so if things don't work out in one country, I can always scoot-off to another place, so really, to be frank, I'm a very fair-weather Singaporean - I am particularly choosy about jobs.

I got the Canadian PR because I received my tertiary education there, and I am still in the opinion that this is the place to be once the resource crunch (energy/water/food) strikes mid-century, along with climate change (agricultural belt shifting north and south) and the opening of the Northwest passage for shortcuts in shipping routes (shrinking of the Arctic ice-caps), and I felt in case I can't make enough $$ to support my parents' medical care expenses in a decade or two in Singapore, the Canadian govt can foot the bill because of the universal healthcare system they have. In a sense, I'm helping the SG govt alleviate the pending healthcare and greying population problem, so its a win-win, :P.

However, I guess in the current situation, I'll probably will take a rain-check in setting down my roots there for at least 2 years, and go back in when they finally resolve this immigrant societal integration problem - I did get a nice job as a project manager-design engineer in an environmental engineering firm when I graduated (then I got chopped a year later because of the lousy economy, hahaha), so I didn't experience the problems faced by the immigrants in the above video, but I have many graduate school coursemates (mid-career immigrants with families in tow) that are suffering from this problem, and I think its a huge shame that their talents are left to languish because of a lack in 'Canadian experience'. In their case, they are not as mobile as a young single is, and are more 'stuck'.

For young singles like me, we just go where the wind blows...that's why you find a lot of young Canadians overseas as well, because of a lack of good opportunities for them in Canada.

Cheers,
Trout
I see what you mean.

There is nothing wrong with being a free wandering soul. We should enjoy life at any age, not just when we are young. :biggrin:

I sent off my Kiwi mate, with family & 2 kids in tow, to their "Around the world" tour, some time back and they have returned to set up a new life in Queensland.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah, that's true. I'm not very street-wise. But at the moment, not much opportunity cost for most decisions I make, so not too bad, as long as I learn quickly and do damage control quickly.

Cheers,
Trout

Just don't dismiss an opportunity because someone write that it is bad.

I had an overseas assignment in Rawalpindi in Pakistan and it proved to be a nice memorable experience because I ended up exploring the 'interior' where I meet descendants of Macedonian soldiers. These days, such opportunities were lost due to conflicts. I have have spent $10,000 on that assignment but that contract was worth $150k.

I try to experience new things at least once.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers,
Trout

Like u i see it the various countries that I am in as different sandboxes. At different times of my life. I have different needs (egs. single vs married or married with 1 kid vs married with 4 kdis). My take on it - if the rules of 1 sandbox does not suit my swot then move on to another sandbox that suit my swot. The idea to stay rooted in 1 sandbox is just each individual sandbox form of brain washing. I am only O level - no brain, lots of brain washing by all these sandboxes but cannot help it. I have no brain for them to wash.

In my no brain world, i do not see what some samster can be achieved in trying to put down 1 country over another. By trying to influence others not to go what ever country. It end up to be the butt of so many jokes - which i find funny. In due respect to all those samster that are way smarter than me or can talk better than me - set aside all the diff. and make this place a more info sharing and civil discussion eh.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers,
Trout

Trout check out the UBS report on purchasing power in different cities around the world.

http://www.ubs.com/1/e/wealthmanagement/wealth_management_research/prices_earnings.html

See whether it makes any sense for you compared with the living expenses of Sydney/ montreal/toronto. Also do check with someone from the tax office on how much tax you may have to pay giving your work arrangement. Some countries have reciprocal tax policy where you just pay tax once in one country rather then twice in both.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers,
Trout

how did u managed to be a project manager straight out from uni??

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are such a loser.. we have the benefits & $$ far exceeds the ato tax. My wifey is a work-from-home consultant for a US company. She works strictly 4hrs from hm.. no more no less (coz I can afford the rest:wink:.. fly to SG-Taiwan-AU when school holiday.. as for me, idle like f**k.. watching ceiling fan, running chicken factory.. surfing net and planning for weekend activities..

Do we care abt tax.. not at all.. hahaha.

Oh no!

BY CLANCY YEATES

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
how did u managed to be a project manager straight out from uni??

Well, I built various pilot scale systems for my masters, and ran them as well, so got some experience from there. Also, I did impress the interviewers quite a bit.

My former company builds small-scale treatment systems...container-sized ones (20-40ft). I designed and built around 8 different systems in total while I was there, all running still, hehehe - soil vapor extractors, groundwater treatment systems, air-sparge units, oil-water separators, carbon adsorbers, membrane bioreactors, pilot electro-coagulation systems, UF systems for treating drinking water for the Canadian Armed Forces as well.

I did know that I'll probably not get such a nice position again currently in this economic climate in Canada (and might end up like those folks in the video if I persisted staying), so I actually went down to Silicon Valley in May-June to try my luck, won some $$ at E-bases & HYSTA in Stanford, but didn't manage to get any VC interest, plus the situation didn't look too good in SV either - though I got one indian dude asked if I wanted to work with him at his start-up in Palo Alto as his VP engineering, hahaha, for just stock - which I flatly declined. So I came back to SG, bummed around a bit, and strangely enough got a couple of opportunities.

Cheers,
Trout

Last edited:

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like u i see it the various countries that I am in as different sandboxes. At different times of my life. I have different needs (egs. single vs married or married with 1 kid vs married with 4 kdis). My take on it - if the rules of 1 sandbox does not suit my swot then move on to another sandbox that suit my swot. The idea to stay rooted in 1 sandbox is just each individual sandbox form of brain washing. I am only O level - no brain, lots of brain washing by all these sandboxes but cannot help it. I have no brain for them to wash.

In my no brain world, i do not see what some samster can be achieved in trying to put down 1 country over another. By trying to influence others not to go what ever country. It end up to be the butt of so many jokes - which i find funny. In due respect to all those samster that are way smarter than me or can talk better than me - set aside all the diff. and make this place a more info sharing and civil discussion eh.

Well, but I do think I'm very fickle and not persistent enough.

There was this discussion earlier this year in a couple of threads with scroobal and Porfirio Rubirosa, where I did state that perhaps that folks should just stick to our decision and 破釜沉舟 and just burn the bridges in order to succeed in your new chosen country - a safety net sometimes does more harm than good.

And how ironic and perhaps hypocritical that I didn't follow my own advice, sigh.

Cheers,
Trout

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, but I do think I'm very fickle and not persistent enough.

There was this discussion earlier this year in a couple of threads with scroobal and Porfirio Rubirosa, where I did state that perhaps that folks should just stick to our decision and 破釜沉舟 and just burn the bridges in order to succeed in your new chosen country - a safety net sometimes does more harm than good.

And how ironic and perhaps hypocritical that I didn't follow my own advice, sigh.

Cheers,
Trout

I think it depends on circumstances. You are young and single, so decision mainly affects you. That is fine.

Back to the mid-career people you mention earlier,

When people have dependents, it is very important to just let go of some "safety net" because it will cause problems later - like kids missing 1 or 2 years because parents decide to move back Singapore. I know of this univ student who is 2 years older than her peers because the parents cannot decide what to do. Australia-Singapore-Australia again.

I find that setbacks are temporary for migrants who are mid-career people, the enemy within is the inability to take things with open strife and to be optimistic. I think I seek too much instant glorification too. I have high expectations.

To beat the loser mentality, I just imagine how I want things to be. Some people call this dream. But that is how I achieve them finally.

I think for mid-career people migrating, this attitude is important. As for you, you have time to explore, discover and experience life.

Last edited: