• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

christianity: what is it all about

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
starting this thread to see what is christianity all about;

hopefully we start from the basics to more deeper stuff as times pass by...

if you find edifying, do join in, if you don't read and stay away:

Please answer directly, and not quote from some angmo fellows without understand or checking the source:

1. What are the basic tenents of christians belief? nicene/apostles Creed? or just believe in jesus, you will be saved thats all?

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brother Commoner,

I have a thread on Today's Scripture Readings in the same blog Discussions about Religion. Some of your questions may be addressed there. You are welcomed to go and read them. Again, I welcome all comments but respectfully request no abusive language or any things to insult other people's religious belief. As Christians, thought evangelism is very much part of our job, I am very sensitive to other's belief system. If you find my writing 'offensive', please skip. Thanks.

Also, in the web there many resources that you can refer to. Hope these resources can address your questions. Just go to Google and key in the key words of the topic you want to read. But I must say that we have to be very careful when we read from the internet. For Christians like myself, I will go to the Bible to check what they have said.

The following is the Apostles' Creed or Statement of Faith for born-again Christians:

I believe in God the Father Almighty
Maker of heaven and earth
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
Born of the Virgin Mary,
Suffered under Pontius Pilate,
Was crucified, dead, and buried,
He descended into hell;
The third day he rose again from the dead,
He ascended into heaven,
And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost;
The holy Catholic Church; [Note: the word here Catholic is not referring to Roman Catholic Church, but the word means universal church)
The Communion of Saints;
The Forgiveness of sins;
The Resurrection of the body,
And the life everlasting.

Last edited:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats the problem, when someone asks a question, you folks answer somehow long winded and not direct to the point.

Why is this question important? because people like you probably has been christian a long time and if you are a convert from some other religion, do you still remember how you 1st believe? how the gospel was preached to you? was it the apostle's creed, or just you have sinned and jesus died dor your sins? so when things are added to the basic message, then all things added is subjected to the bible and people's interpretation.

so what is the basic tenets of christianity? the apostle's creed DOES NOT say anything about the bible you know.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Psalm23

It doesnt matter whether discussion should be here or the other side of the thread. Whats important is you had responded to thread starter. Like what bro commoner had said, come straight to the point. Dont beat about the bush. I am very sure the last thing on your Master (Jesus) mind was to confuse his students.

Oh yes. No parables here ok. Just plain simple english will do.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Apostle Creed that I quoted to you is derived from the Bible - the virgin birth, the crucification, resurrection, etc. Every statement in the Creed can be substantiated by the Bible verses.

You need to acknowledge that Jesus is God and He died for us. But to truly believe this, as Christians we have to live our life to reflect the belief. This is the repented life - that is - sincerely repent of our sins and not to repeat them. The sinner's pray I prayed was as follows:

Dear Heavenly Father, I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

This is the first step one must take and just the beginning of a Christian life. We have to continue to ask God for strengths to help us in repenting us sins.

Hope this can clarify you question.

Last edited:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
let me summarise the basic tenents that a chinese christians would understand when they 1st believe (from my understanding):

There is THE God (the Father), creator, who hates sin, and people sins. He sends His Son Jesus to atone for people's sins. If you believe, you will be forgiven and the Holy Spirit will live in you. And you have booked a place in heaven. God, Jesus and Holy Spirit are of the same family.

Any other matters, subject to arguments, disagreements and debates, and everyone held to their point of views and understandings.