• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best wishes to the Toronto residents

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Damage widespread following brief, violent storm in southern Ontario
1 hour, 57 minutes ago

By The Canadian Press

DURHAM, Ont. - Dazed residents have started surveying the damage in several Ontario communities which bore the brunt of a furious storm that spawned as many as four suspected tornados on Thursday.

The violent storm destroyed numerous homes, ripped up trees, flipped cars and left thousands of people without power.

One of the worst-hit areas was Durham, south of Owen Sound, where police confirmed one storm-related death. But authorities have not yet confirmed reports the victim is a teenaged boy.

In one of the hardest-hit neighbourhoods in Vaughan, north of Toronto, dazed residents gathered early Friday to survey the damage, trade stories, and clean up what they could.

Several streets of a neighbourhood were closed by police, but those allowed back in said they had never seen anything like this in Canada.

Carm Spinelli was in her living room when the storm hit and has been staying with relatives since because she hasn't been allowed back in her house.

"I heard the noise that something was happening, but I didn't realize exactly the extent of what," said Spinelli, who had been sitting right at the spot where the storm hit but moved just before her roof caved in.

"It was a big roar. I never heard anything like that in my life. When I actually came outside and saw all of that I actually went into shock. There's brick that was moved."

Pieces of trees, fences and brick were strewn across streets. Some houses had gaping holes in their front yards and exposed roof beams, while others were untouched by the storm.

Lamposts were torn off one driveway, while another was covered with downed trees which had flattened cars, smashed lights and windows.

Spinelli, like other residents, said her next step is to talk to her insurance company about repairing the damage.

"I'm hoping that, if they can fix it, we don't have another one (storm)," she said.

"I am scared now, of course. You don't expect it, you never see this in Toronto, here. We've had bad rain but not like this. It's not a good feeling."

Ida Filgiano's house escaped the storm, but she said she was worried about her neighbours and sadden by the aftermath of what she called "a disaster."

"I've never seen anything like this. We see it on TV, but to see it firsthand, it's sad that a lot of people had to leave their homes. Friends of ours are homeless now," she said.

"This is reality I guess. We never thought it would happen here."

Even after the storm, she and her husband avoided their upstairs bedroom, sleeping in the basement instead in case a second storm followed.

Fiorina and Dominic Caravaggio's house had broken windows and doors, as well as debris strewn in the backyard.

Fiorina was cleaning up after dinner when her granddaughter alerted her to the storm.

"I couldn't sleep last night, I never slept," she said.

An evacuation centre in the neighbourhood was quiet, as many people in the tight-knit community opted to stay with family or friends.

Environment Canada is dispatching crews to check on suspected tornados in Durham, Vaughan, Newmarket and Collingwood.

Meteorologist Geoff Coulson said early Friday there was little doubt a tornado struck both the Durham and Vaughan areas.

"Some of the footage actually showing contact with the ground - the vortex of the winds picking dust and debris up," Coulson said.

"We will be heading up there to talk to eyewitnesses and look at the damage ourselves."

Coulson also said that while central and southwestern Ontario bore the brunt of the storm's fury, areas to the north were also affected.

"We also had reports of significant damage in the Lake Nippissing area, Powassan, North Bay and that's another possible site we'll be looking at."

"In looking at the damage (and) the aerial footage of the damage to Woodbridge and the Maple area, I think a lot of people were very fortunate we weren't having more significant injuries," Coulson said.

Both Durham and Vaughan declared states of emergency because of the widespread damage in those communities.

Durham deputy mayor Dan Sullivan said the state of emergency mobilizes outside help.

"At this point, we're saying we feel our resources through mutual aid and our neighbours that we're able to deal with it," he said.

"We still have a way to go here and there may be some need left."

In the meantime, said Sullivan, the public is being asked to steer clear of damaged areas to allow the cleanup to proceed.

"We have people who know what to do out there - just give us room to do it."

Hydro One crews have spent the night re-attaching downed power lines, which left some 69,000 homes and businesses in the dark at one point.

By Friday morning, power had been restored in many areas serviced by the utility, but Bracebridge, north of Toronto, still had about 2,200 customers blacked out.

Toronto Hydro reported multiple outages in the city, but by morning, said it had made "significant progress" is restoring electricity to its customers.

Veridian Connections Inc. said about 25,000 of its customers were without power in Bowmanville, Newcastle, parts of Ajax and Pickering, and other communities.

Copyright © 2009 Canadian Press

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now now we all know Australia is very famous for getting hit with typhoon

Tsk Tsk Tsk

Things are not looking good for you

Hee Hee Hee

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you.
We are safe in downtown Toronto.
Yesterday, late afternoon or early evening, just finished BBQ, and ther was the very heavy and wet thunderstorm.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you.
We are safe in downtown Toronto.
Yesterday, late afternoon or early evening, just finished BBQ, and ther was the very heavy and wet thunderstorm.

Good to hear that.

The weather system is going mad. Over at the southern hemisphere, we are going into Spring this coming week but it has been exceptionally cold (depending on where you are - Sydney appears to have gone into Summer - haha) and the rain came late as well.

Not to mention the damaging gust of winds. But the buildings are taking the battering well.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as you are not in Australia, you should be just fine

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I find it strange that your gangs keep discouraging ppl from coming to Australia. There must be a motive behind this.. mind telling me ?

Wait let me guess.. your statistic shown many are coming to Australia ? therefore, your master decides to discourage the wannabe quitters from leaving.. by highlighting the negative sides ?

Please tell to your mgt, they are wasting their time.. these ppl are far more educated compare to the 60s.. sadly, your local media is no longer popular.. in the new IT age, they are getting the real deal..

I feel sorry for your organisation.. try staring at the ceiling for self- reflection..

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it strange that your gangs keep discouraging ppl from coming to Australia. There must be a motive behind this.. mind telling me ?

Wait let me guess.. your statistic shown many are coming to Australia ? therefore, your master decides to discourage the wannabe quitters from leaving.. by highlighting the negative sides ?

Please tell to your mgt, they are wasting their time.. these ppl are far more educated compare to the 60s.. sadly, your local media is no longer popular.. in the new IT age, they are getting the real deal..

I feel sorry for your organisation.. try staring at the ceiling for self- reflection..

Discouraging?

I dont need to old chap as your terrible situation and finacial woes are a signboard for all to avoid Australia at all costs

That and the fact Australians themselves are leaving kinda says it all

Kinda stinks for you and your ceiling fan

Hee Hee Hee

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are some more NUTS over south ...

Going Nuts!!!

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/share-your-story/the-real-banff/banff-squirrel-takes-over-the-world

squirrel-portrait-banff-081309-ga.jpg

Sat Aug 22, 5:39 PM

CALGARY (CBC) - CNN's Jeanne Moos mentioned in a recent story about the now internet-famous rodent that the Rocky Mountain resort town is in B.C., not Alberta.

However, Kurt Schroeder, a marketing official with the Banff Lake Louise tourism branch, said he's determined to laugh off the gaffe.

"We're a very forgiving crew here. As Canadians, we can't help ourselves we're just humble like that," he said.

"Really, quite frankly, I got a bit of a chuckle out of it. This is such a fun story and this is a time where fun is especially welcomed."

Melissa and Jackson Brandts, tourists from Minnesota, were using a tripod to take a photo of themselves in front of Lake Minnewanka in late May when the curious squirrel popped into the shot just as the camera was snapping the picture. The image has gone viral since it appeared on National Geographic's website on Aug. 7.

Schroeder said no one from his office has called CNN to point out the geographical mix-up.

"We love the CNN story and we love every other story like it and of its kind. As far as we're concerned, we really don't mind the geographical misspeak there.

"It would have been nice if they'd gotten it straight for Alberta, for all of our friends in Alberta. But let's face it, there's only one Banff in Canada."